Cusumano on 590 with Slayton

CAG

I didn't see anyone else post in regards to Slayton's interview with Frank so I'll fill you in. Cusumano was on with Slayton around 5:40 tonight with the most up to date information I've heard. I listened to channel 5's 6:00 newscast and Renee did comment on the situation but Frank went into further detail with Slayton.

Frank said things are close. He feels a deal will get done soon. Both SLU and Majerus have sent lists back and forth in regards to what each other want from this deal. Frank mentioned the financial aspect nor assistant coaches are an issue. Magerus's 3 top items on his list are as follows...

1)Better travel arrangements (chartered flights)

2)More academic advisor's for student athletes. I would think this could be done pretty easily.

3)More strength coaches for student athletes. Apparently SLU has 1 strength coach for all the student athletes. I didn't know that but it's pretty pathetic.

I don't think any of these requests are "off the wall". As a matter of fact, the most difficult details seem to be worked out. If this is all true, I'd think we should hear something by late tonight or tomorrow morning.

CAG

I can't really see any reason why this deal cannot happen.

With regard to the better travel arrangements, do you feel that this is athletic department wide, or just basketball in particular?

More academic advisors: as a former student-athlete at SLU, I can say that the support for the student-athlete is very good, the office just looks like a fox hole!

Although there is only one S&C coach, there is one, possibly two students (graduate student?) that assists. Wouldn't it be great to get Mike Linn back?!?!

I know some of the basketball players have gone to Hammer Bodies in recent summers to work out and get stronger.

I didn't know the extent of those problems on campus, but it's a shame the school doesn't have some people who can work with the athletes in that department — instead of having to spend their own money to pay someone off campus.

- Nate

Not saying that I know the basketball players, but it is not uncommon for players to go elsewhere in the summer to get themselves ready for the fall. Even football players for Notre Dame, who have one of the most intense S&C coaches in the country, go elsewhere to improve themselves in the summer.

That has been an issue for me for a long time: our guys are not the most physically developed in many instances, and certainly not versus teams like UNC. An improvement there would be VERY welcome, and obviously RM knows what the competition is like. Luke did a great job last summer (but he is down 10 pounds from the beginning of the season), but the rest could use more work. And Luke could use more weight.

Which brings me to another area that could use some attention (but I will be patient, let Majerus.....please,please,please.......get here) is the players diet. These guys are pretty much left on their own, and they need some guidance/nutritionist/training table if the workouts are going to have meaningful results: Luke shouldn't lose 10 pounds over the course of the season.

RM, if you're going to disappoint us, do it now so I can get this behind me and get ready to welcome the new coach.

The academic support is something that could be done relatively cheaply, I'd think; students are always seeking a way to earn money...why not recruit some upperclass students in a variety of fields to help out as tutors? I think 7 or 8 bucks an hour would be more than enough to entice some peer tutors...lord knows I would have for that much money.

My current boss said that she tutored football players (including a current Bears rookie) while in college at an equally small school.

those bullets do seem good ideas. . . .

the academic advising for athletes at SLU has been unimpressive, in my opinion. I could illustrate this with several stories but it would not be ethical to do so.

I think we have been OK in basketball, generally, because in recent years we have had excellent guys who go to class and do well with grades--generally speaking.

I think Majerus would see the holes in the system, especially with borderline students. I have said this multiple times on here -- and always it generates an argument--but we simply have a difficult time recruiting and then retaining borderline students at SLU. So do Stanford, BC, Georgetown, UND, etc. Academics was a major reason for the 2 guys leaving this year, which is no secret. So I agree; we need to ramp up the advising for athletes at SLU.

In fact --sidenote-- the new Dean, Don Brennan, has stated that advising in the college is one of his top priorities. So it is not just for athletes--this is a weakness at SLU for all of the A&S students, in my opinion.

One other thing -- diet, someone mentioned-- I used to know many players over many years at Indiana and Michigan State and believe me, their training tables were in the stratosphere compared with SLU.

(Majerus strikes me as the kind of guy with some level of interest in food!)