Majerus Work Ethic

Dr Bird

Bernie M said we need a young guy that will bust rear-end to get recruits.

Rick Majerus will get this done with extremely hard-working assistants. RM will simply "close the deal" on a recruit.

I bet everyone in the STL class of 2008 will want a SLU campus visit just to get to meet RM. If he is the recruiter I think he is, he will close alot of deals

Also, bright young coaches will line up to be a RM assistant. Because RM's coaching ability is so well respected, his assistants will be in demand. (Assuming SLU has success)

Charge!

Yeah, the guy wouldn't even have to recruit. It would be amazing. Hell, I bet most of the guys he will recruit don't even know his coaching history. They just see him on ESPN every day. He's a celebrity. He has celebrity friends. This would be an unprecedented step for a school like SLU. I don't want to get too excited though. We all know how tough it is to be a Billiken fan.

>Bernie M said we need a young guy that will bust rear-end to

>get recruits.

>

>Rick Majerus will get this done with extremely hard-working

>assistants. RM will simply "close the deal" on a recruit.

>I bet everyone in the STL class of 2008 will want a SLU

>campus visit just to get to meet RM. If he is the recruiter

>I think he is, he will close alot of deals

>

>Also, bright young coaches will line up to be a RM

>assistant. Because RM's coaching ability is so well

>respected, his assistants will be in demand. (Assuming SLU

>has success)

>

>Charge!

The greatest influence on Coach Rick was Al McGuire. For those unfamilar with the way Al coached, he delegated a LOT of duties to his assistants. In fact, Hank Raymonds, Al's #1 assistant (and SLU grad) was the co-Head Coach and the X's and O's guy. Coach Rick also had a lot of those duties. Al was the public face, he did the recruiting. Could be a similar arrangement at SLU and thus he'd attract some great assistants. His right hand man at Utah, Dick Hunsaker, has gone on to start the program at Utah Valley State and had great success so far.

My ONLY concern would be his health and parental perception. Some friends and I met the parent of a player whom Coach Rick had recruited. Said the visit was kind of a disaster as Rick parked his car at the bottom of the driveway and walked up the slight incline to the house. Said than when Coach Rick got to the door he was red, sweating profusely and panting. The dad's reaction was there was no way his kid was going to play for a coach who might die on the sidelines! I saw and talked to Coach Rick last month, he sounded happy but man, did he look big! Just keep him away from the Hill and toaster ravs!

i concur completely.

a majerus lets us pick up the ball and run without a start over period.

majerus would be a way to ease a high energy recruiter assistant to ascend to the next level without the pressure.

just for name sakes, let's say the asst of choice is cuomzo martin.

martin is made the head coach. martin has never been a head coach and takes over this team. i can guarantee you martin has 5 years to learn on the job and be a big time success. if not, we are canning him and starting over again.

anyone want to bet that the likelihood of him f'ing up on the job and evaluating a player is pretty darn good along the way? does that mean he wasnt a good recruiter? does that mean he wont be a good head coach someday? no on both imo.

yet we can him, he starts over at a horizon school and next thing we know he is the next star due to the experience he got with us.

under a majerus celebrity type, he comes in and you know majerus is gonna let him do the hard work. hit the recruiting trail, show the players on the court how to play basketball, scout opponents, etc.

in 4 or 5 years, i would bet a majerus indeed does take us to the mountain top. now when majerus hands the reigns over martin, first, teh players in place are martin's kids. second, martin had better on the job training than anyone could expect and likely wont make the mistakes he would have made five years earlier. third, the program is now at a higher level which allows it to somewhat run itself as opposed to where it is now. bingo. martin succeeds.

you might ask, well where has that ever happened before.

siu. while weber wasnt the celebrity that majerus is, for all practical purposes, a bruce weber as a 20 year assistant to keady was an experienced head coach. you can bet that lowery and painter got great hands on top asst experience immediately under weber. so when they moved into the drivers seat, it was a natural hand off. there is no way of testing, but i would bet that neither would have had the success they had at siu had they not followed weber first.

paved the way for them to continue on.

the thing to remember, this wont be cheap. if a majerus comes, he is going to come with a high price, with high priced assistants, and you can bet he will ask for the infrastructure improvements that have been refused time and time again over the last 20 years. thus i still dont believe it will happen until i see it.

but majerus is the grand slam we want.

that's fine. i couldnt care less about the specific assistant. i just want a celebrity big timer now and let that guy train his assistants to take over.

Fans still have to remember that Majerus wont sign unless the whole budget gets a major overhaul. Everyone talks about the base salary and contract but I think the bigger part of RM actually signing is whether or not Larry puts in the dollar bills to the basketball budget. This could be the ultimate factor for him to sign. RM wont set himself to fail.

In his biography, Majerus admitted to cheating on tests in college. That killed his chances at the ND job in the late 90's. Would that be a big enough issue with Biondi to not offer Coach Rick the job? I would hope not.

EDIT: I believe ND was dealing with some academic fraud or cheating issues at the time so that revelation by Majerus probably carried more weight than it ever should have.

bernie and i email, and we have met on one occasion, however, i havent corresponded with him in a couple of months.

as much as i dont appreciate the tone of bernie toward slu, i tend to think he is pretty accurate on his assessment overall and thus i think we just have similar opinions on it. the difference being my fanship wins out in the end and i accept slu for what it is and continue to bleed blue in the end, while bernie is not a fan and will likely never bleed blue.