$$$ for "splash" hire? no way . . . .

DoctorB

Are there seriously posters on here who think SLU will pony up the $$$ for a "splash" hire? Someone like Montgomery or that sort?

I say no way, Jose. It would take $5-7 million over 5 years, I would think. Maybe more.

I do not see that happening. Thoughts? I seem to be pretty much alone in that. Even the asistant at Ohio State would ommand that sort of price -- or am I wrong??

doc i totally agree with you, but the scenario played so far demands it happen or else we suffer greatly.

my belief is that those that caused and made this decision are that arrogant and out of touch. and we get to start over again. ironically the wheels of change supposedly started to maximize our new arena and the effect without a homerun hire will be just the opposite.

You are correct:

I posted these in response to a different topic, everyone should know the numbers while believing we are one coach away from The Tournament every year:

I would like to see a competitive program, but the programs you mention are at another level. According to info for 2006 available at midmajority.com/info/schools-budget here are athletic dept. expenses:

ND $55,468,396 (no split out)

BC $51,766,104 (no split out)

North Carolina $53,353,892 (another source, over $5MM on bb)

UCLA $52,049,868 (another source, over $5mm on bb)

Just for fun:

Temple $25,819,092

Richmond $21,279,880 They both (barely) made the top 100 in this category

St. Joe $10,980,582

Xavier $10,874,364

And, drum roll, please: SLU $10,241,995, 183 out of 331 Division 1 schools.

Brad was a little too optimistic when telling people this can be a consistent top 25 program: the budget says it all.

And while $30mm has been raised, there is still $12mm more to raise for the arena.......after THREE YEARS of solicitation. Doesn't sound like there are "big time boosters" willing/able to fill the gap.

Umm...don't those schools have large football budgets that are included in the athletic department figures?

Doc, if, and it's a gigantic if, $$$ is to be thrown around for a big name, i doubt that money is coming from SLU. No, SLU isn't going to spend that money, but a booster might.

Yes, and for every dime you spend on a football scholarship you have to match it with a non-revenue generating scholarship for a women's athletic scholarship. The extra cost is enormous and irrelevant to basketball discussion.

You have to compare Apples to Apples. St Joes and Xavier are the ONLY 2 on your list that are comparable to SLU. (and, surprisingly enough, their output is consistent with SLU's.

ND, BC, UNC, UCLA, Temple and Richmond ALL HAVE FOOTBALL. We all know what that means...more scholarship and budget money spent overall.

An Asst isn't going to get paid 5-7 mil over 5. Didn't Huggy just go for 5 mil for 5. I bet Majerus and Gillen could be had for quite a bit under 1 mil per year. I have heard Majerus maked $500K as a broadcaster. I think a top notch asst gets $500 per for maybe 5. Of course if he has a couple of good years that gets upped by an extension.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

Huh?

I am talking about athletic budgets and how it impacts any university's ability to compete at Div 1 level. I don't know how much of the $10mm+ of the SLU athletic budget goes to basketball. I do know that given Title IX requirements (your incorrect example not withstanding) within the confines of a TOTAL athletic budget of $10mm+ there are not enough dollars to support a "Top 25" basketball program.