OT: but relates to college basketball and needs press

VTIME

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with JMM28 except I still say I would like some of the scumbags who attacked the Duke lacrosse kids to apologize first before we fire Imus for being stupid.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=3031317&page=1

This is a link that Barak Hussein Obama says to fire Imus that Courtside wanted. FYI, I do not think much of McLain, either, but he has served his time and paid the price.

You never responded to my principal point, that (well, in a perfect world) Imus should not be fired for being stupid until Jesse, Al, The Black Panthers (who shouted "Dead Man Walking" and "Rapist" in Seliegman's ear, first row behind them in Seliegman's first court appearance) ETC, ETC, apologize.

The death threats to the team from local "supporters" of the accusser? Imus is an idiot, but nothing equivalent to the smear campaign, mugshots on magazine covers, death threats, NCAA season canceled, expulsion and loss of scholarship, coach fired.

That is the point... cheap shot by using Barak Obama's middle name, yep, I admit it... you brought up McCain, who cares?

>

>You never responded to my principal point, that (well, in a

>perfect world) Imus should not be fired for being stupid

>until Jesse, Al, The Black Panthers (who shouted "Dead Man

>Walking" and "Rapist" in Seliegman's ear, first row behind

>them in Seliegman's first court appearance) ETC, ETC,

>apologize.

>

>The death threats to the team from local "supporters" of the

>accusser? Imus is an idiot, but nothing equivalent to the

>smear campaign, mugshots on magazine covers, death threats,

>NCAA season canceled, expulsion and loss of scholarship,

>coach fired.

>

>That is the point... cheap shot by using Barak Obama's

>middle name, yep, I admit it... you brought up McCain, who

>cares?

>

Okay...to your first point....Don Imus' actions(for many years mind you, a repeat offender many times over) are separate to those of Al Sharpton whose actions are separate to those of Jesse Jackson...whose actions are separate to those of the Black Panthers and so on. Don Imus didn't need to apologize, because his apology is hollow, forced and insincere. He has said and done many, many controversial and hateful and bigoted things before. It finally caught up to him for now, temporaily until he possibly finds work elsewhere in his field.

Each individual, or individual group are seperate entities. Don Imus has said and done similar things publicly for many years, as have other people. You are obsessed with some sort of order. Imus said publicly in a 60 minutes tv interview that he did in fact hire someone for his show to do "Ni $%&* r" jokes in 1997. Why do other people have to admit their behavior or doings first. I don't get it. Don Imus has had a public radio show, and tv simulcast. He made remarks that combined with his past behavior and remarks that cost him his position because of money. Sponsors pulled out, etc.. Morality isn't the reason. I would never hire a Don Imus for a radio show either. And my reasons would be based on morality, talent, and money combined.

I didn't make any cheap shots. No it is not the same. You compared Barack Obama to Saddam Hussein. And Istill don't think you even fully grasp your comments. You brush aside your comments as "cheap shot" no big deal...or Imus' comments and behavior as no big deal. His past power is the only reason he still had a show.

What I said was in response to your posts. You alluded that Barack Obama was less qualified to comment on Imus' situation than John McCain and an explanation has still not been given. Who cares? You do, you brought it up. You complained repeatedly about it.

I don't go running around saying a large group of people need to apologize to Hank Aaron and many other athletes who received death threats, hate mail etc....

If you want to express your disagreement over the cancellation of the Duke lacrosse season last year and firing of their coach, go ahead and do that with their school President, and the people who made those decisions. Also take it up with the accuser and district attorney in the case.

Imus' case has nothing to do with the Duke case. The Duke case was about personal freedom, and more than words and hateful speech and actions. I even included links to some people who als felt that way. I even said that Al Sharpton lacks credibility, ....but here is what I didn't do:

I didn't say Imus' behavior present and past was no big deal.

I didn't compare Barack Obama to Saddam Hussein.

I didn't say that one group has to do something before another group, that somehow the situations are connected, because they aren't.

I didn't say that John McCain was more qualified to speak on the Imus issue than Obama.

Whoa, YOU sure do not correctly interpret the written word. Hussein is Obama's middle name, I use his middle name and you say I compare him to Saddam Hussein.

Imus is a joke, shock jock, gets his $$$ doing this but went too far, deserved to get pushed out, but not this much outrage, etc.

BUT do you think any of the Rutgers girls have ever paid for a CD of a rapper that included the "ho" phrase and the "n" word? None of them? Nobody knows the answer, of course, but they were agast at Imus for saying it. What a joke. Rutgers player says she is "scarred for life".

I am pointing out that there is hypocrisy in the overreaction to the Imus thing, funny, now Obama is being criticized by black leaders for making his postion known too late, he should have jumped in earlier...

But more damage by far to the Duke players, team, coach, university, etc, I want an apology from Al, Jesse, Black Panthers before we take down Imus. I know it doesn't work that way, but it is my point...

I still haven't read what McCain said, don't care, that was some point you brought in from -----?

>

>Whoa, YOU sure do not correctly interpret the written word.

>Hussein is Obama's middle name, I use his middle name and

>you say I compare him to Saddam Hussein.

>

>Imus is a joke, shock jock, gets his $$$ doing this but went

>too far, deserved to get pushed out, but not this much

>outrage, etc.

>

>BUT do you think any of the Rutgers girls have ever paid for

>a CD of a rapper that included the "ho" phrase and the "n"

>word? None of them? Nobody knows the answer, of course, but

>they were agast at Imus for saying it. What a joke. Rutgers

>player says she is "scarred for life".

>

>I am pointing out that there is hypocrisy in the

>overreaction to the Imus thing, funny, now Obama is being

>criticized by black leaders for making his postion known too

>late, he should have jumped in earlier...

>

>But more damage by far to the Duke players, team, coach,

>university, etc, I want an apology from Al, Jesse, Black

>Panthers before we take down Imus. I know it doesn't work

>that way, but it is my point...

>

>I still haven't read what McCain said, don't care, that was

>some point you brought in from -----?

If only the Billikens basketball team could back pedal defensively as well as you, they would really have something.

You intentionally use Obama's Hussein name when he goes by Barack Obama, and you did it on purpose and even said so to associate him with Saddam Hussein, as a put down. In your words it was a "cheap shot." Who exactly then are you comparing him too? Nada Hussein? respected doctor and my friend for decades? You even said you didn't think anyone with the name Hussein should be allowed to run for President.

Imus is a high profile public figure with a national radio show....and has said many racist and bigoted things for years. It isn't surprising it caught up to him at some point. I really don't care how much outrage there is for him.

Now I am suppose to assume the musical tastes of the Rutgers womens' basketball team? And I am somehow supposed to find its relevance to what Don Imus said on a talk radio program? Should we now also assume that the Rutgers womens' basketball team beats up old ladies, and takes little kids lunch money while calling them jigaboos, the N word and nappy? Unless you are a 19ish year old African American player on the rutgers basketball team or someone close to them, you can assume all you want. And somehow any of it is related to Imus?

Who cares what black leaders say about Obama or he about any of it? You are still on this Obama stuff. You seem preoccupied by him.

What does Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, the Black Panthers have to do with Imus? Are Imus' comments okay because of the actions of any of those other 3?

And lastly, it doesn't matter what McCain said, ....you were so upset that Obama had an opinion on the Imus story and then insinuated he was not qualified to have an opinion on the subject. However John McCain has equally been public with his thoughts on the subject and McCain is a fellow public figure, fellow U.S. Senator....yet you don't even know or care what McCain had to say about it.

Imus took himself down, not Jackson, not Sharpton, not the Black Panthers. The accuser in the Duke case and the D.A. took themselves down, no one else did it for them.

I even gave you good pieces to read.

Why do you let the public media comments of some stir your anger? I'd be far more concerned about my own opinions and comments on race among other things, if I were in your shoes. Thankfully, I'm not.