Romar vs. Soderberg recruiting

ACE

Roy, I do not disagree with you on this topic -Grimes/Shaw - all I am saying is something about the two and the situation made Brad go the route he did - was he wrong or right who knows only time will tell. At this point, one could even make the same comment about Brad and Ahern. Something caused him to back away - we will only know in four years when it is all said and done if that was a poor decision or not. By the way, I believe that Shaw's situation was similar to Kent Williams - Spoon got hammered for not recruiting him but it has been my experience that those Southern IL boys are brought up on SIU BB and eventually always come home. Shaw I am sure did visit SLU as you say but when your kid is looking to go to college, you look at several schools that he/she might have a little interest in but they never really had them high on their list. Like I said, there was something about the situation that caused Brad to go the way he did and we won't know if it was a mistake or not until the spring signing season is over.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The main concern over Matt Shaw was his size (6-6). I don't believe you can win the C-USA title and contend for the NCAA title with 6-6 post players. In recent days, I watched Purdue vs Michigan State and Texas vs Texas Tech. I didn't see any 6-6 post players. Now if you want Matt Shaw as a SF/perimeter player, I'm okay with that and would take him in a minute, as Matt has skills, smarts and is very competitive. Did Shaw have any Big10 offers? I don't recall hearing that he did. Was his size the issue....probably.

You may some interesting observations why schools are able to recruit some players who might normally be recruited by higher profile programs. The player and school that come to mind immediately are Dwayne Wade and Marquette. Wade was a partial qualifier but Crean took a chance and it paid off. Some times it does not but when it does many mistakes are overlooked.

phillip gilbert may have been the biggest mistake in recruiting history by SLU. i remember darius miles trying to plea for someone to recruit his buddy and romar wanted nothing to do with him. now gilbert is averaging 20 points per game at bradley, shooting over 40% from behind the arc, and darius is in the NBA. had we recruited gilbert, darius may have signed here - even if he hadn't come, just getting him to sign would have been nice. and gilbert would have provided exactly what we needed last year, and another weapon in the backcourt this year. imagine marque perry with a backcourt partner who could shoot last year.

and we have discussed him. again, romar went deep for mckinney and was reputed to be his second choice at the end. my argument still stands.

wade came as a package deal with his aau best friend blankson. a lot of schools wanted one or the other, no one but marquette offered both.

everyone knows i am not the biggest spoon fan, but anyone that slams spoon on kent williams is nuts. he took maurice jeffers and marque perry. both will end up in the billiken hall of fame and were the lead players on their respective senior class teams. even in hindsight, no way i take kent williams ahead of perry or jeffers.

tseugnekillib said, "I don't believe you can win the C-USA title and contend for the NCAA title with 6-6 post players."

yet the only name we have heard being mentioned as being offered a scholarship thus far for that final spot is a 6'6" pf at the same juco that frericks went to. in fact, the description of his game sound less of a inside player than what shaw appears to be right now.

if we get a decent anthony bonner clone with this final scholarship i will come back and tell the world how wrong i was, but my fear is we are going to end up worse. i just hope we dont lose any current roster inside players for any reason to make the situation even more drastic.

hindsight says you are right. but after seeing jason edwin at the shootout his junior season and watching phillip gilbert many times at east side, i would have taken edwin over gilbert. that was your choice. like i said, hindsight says you are correct as edwin as talented as he is, was a bust at slu and is apparently a bust at kent state as well. but the picture then looked overwhelmingly in edwin's favor back then.

>He was a great college player but he wasn't a high profile

>recruit. No name juco guards like Warren Busby, Lincoln

>Glass and Robert Yanders were ranked higher.

If Okie State was recruiting him, he certainly was good enough for us. He was exactly the type of player Romar should've been able to land.