Lowery's Contract

As I said before there would be a buy out clause in it - the Post reported today that there is a $400K buy out option in the first 3 years and after that it decreases. Now, a $400K buyout is nothing for the boosters of a Big 10 or Big East school to pony up. Lowery is apt to leave anytime - even before next year. You might ask then why sign the contract? - simple, he is covering his bets. If a school won't sign him this year because of the $400K buy out clause then they won't sign him in the next 3 years either so if they want him in 2 years they would want him now. SIU is better off now then before he signed but not much.

basketballcountry said,

"Why do these schools eat all of your insides up?"

we're not the ones reading and posting on some other school's message board.

Sorry if my statement of reality is bothers you BBcountry. All I did was point out the nature of college basketball today as it relates to coaches. If our coach signed the same type of deal with a low buy out clause, I would still say the same thing. The other reason I pointed this out was that some the day before were saying how SIU had locked the guy up when that is the farthest from the truth given today's merry go around of coaching.

Had this poster not been a big troll to this board many times, perhaps some civility would be more appropriate....but all the MVC lurkers here and elsewhere are rather quiet today. No Miklasz or Gregorian articles in the St. Louis newspapers pounding the MVC chest today. The news of Altman leaving and Lowery's low buy-out are not putting happy faces on MVC fans.

As an ex-SLU fan, who is getting sick and tired of the "holier than thou" attitude of the SLU posters on this board, I consider myself a real MVC fan. When SLU figures out whether it wants to be Division I or Division II, please let the rest of the community in on your decision. Until then, you might want to crawl back into your holes with the rest of the Abysmal 10 Conference.

>As an ex-SLU fan, who is getting sick and tired of the

>"holier than thou" attitude of the SLU posters on this

>board, I consider myself a real MVC fan. When SLU figures

>out whether it wants to be Division I or Division II, please

>let the rest of the community in on your decision. Until

>then, you might want to crawl back into your holes with the

>rest of the Abysmal 10 Conference.

That's great. Still doesn't change the fact that the bottom 30% of the MVC coaches were fired this year, and that in recent years the top 30% of schools (the ones who matter most)....have had their coaches leave for positions they perceived to be better jobs. And to think in such a great year for MVC, league received same number of NCAA teams as a down year in the A10.

Where's Doug Elgin and his damage control press statement about the MVC? And where will it be when Lowery leaves sooner than later?

>I wouldn't get too cocky courtside. Fact is there are no

>destination jobs in the A10 either. If you had any sense

>you would be angry the Valley got jobbed the way it did in

>the NCAA not gloating about it.

Huh? Not gloating nor cocky. And the Valley didn't get "jobbed."

People came here and said the MVC was no longer a mid-major league. It wasn't even the best mid-major league this year.

>

>People came here and said the MVC was no longer a mid-major

>league. It wasn't even the best mid-major league this year.

I spend a fair amount of time lurking here because I live in St. Louis and I like the Bills, but I CANNOT recall anyone making an outrageous claim like that. All I'm saying is that Altman leaving Creighton is BAD NEWS for all non-BCS schools. If you can't see that, there's no way I'll be able to convince you of it.

I agree - Altman leaving is not good news for non-BCS schools. All I was saying was that this problem is continuing and Lowery's low buy out clause simply adds to it. As I said before, this has nothing to do with SIU other than to point out that they are not out of the woods yet with keeping Lowery. The 7 year deal is a farce and the truth is they should have let him leave rather than end up paying double what they planned on and give in on that low ball buy out clause and one to boot that decreases over time. I repeat - if the tables were turned and it was SLU in this boat I would be saying the same thing. OK to pay him but get some kind of assurance such as a $1 million buy out clause. Still even that would not totally solve it.

I see what you're saying, but I believe this is the first time SIU has put a buyout clause into a contract, period. It would seem that they could have made a very plausible argument to Lowery that $750K is a reasonable buyout. This kind of money from SIU is an extraordinary statement, as there's no way they'll ever buy out even a year of this contract if Lowery fails to perform. That sort of a statement deserves some reciprocation.

So I guess you could say that I agree with most everything you said. BTW, sorry for the attempted thread hijacking...

Dont really think Elgin has to say anything about damage control,now does he????? Sometimes think you should keep your mouth shut and let things play out.

But since you brought it up,sure he wont gloat either.

Doesnt have to.

The fact that the recent eh news, you were so zealous about,is staying is such good advertising,why should he or others have to.

Action speaks louder than your.. eating your stomach out..words.

Ah...the public answers and the private answers.

This is far from the first time Altman tried to work out a deal to leave Creighton.

His deal fell through to bring his admin people to Arkansas. He also found out about the positive drug tests, academically ineligible players and so on.

Yes, a very calculated man who knew what he was doing had a change of heart because he he couldn't bear to leave Creighton and Omaha. Got it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2826115