Please refrain from posting anything negative!!!

Its a joke how many players SLU has missed out on. Its simply not true to say that most of those players wouldn't help.

Blake Ahearn

Matt Shaw

Lucas O'Rear

Landon Shipley

Alex Moosmann

Josh Harrellson

Torres Roundtree

Justin Fuehmeyer

All of those players are better than Dustin, Danny, Adam, Horace, Obi, Wendell Bennett ( yes he was on scholarship) and Dwayne Polk.

Wendall was rewarded a scholarship for his senoir year because it was avalible. Brad would have been an ##### not to do that. He was not a scholarship player before that and really was only one based on a fluke and the coach doing the right thing. The only players that you listed that are better than DB, DP, DM, and AK are Ahearn, Shaw, and Roundtree. They made a mistake on Ahearn, but they offered Shaw and tried to third party offer Roundtree. O'Rear might end up being better (I think he will), but it is by no means a sure thing.

Also Ahearn, Roundtree, and Shaw are all heads and shoulders better than your boy Meyer. I noticed you didn't include him in the group of current Bills.

your washington missouri roots are showing badly if you are saying the likes of fuehmeyer is better.

moytoy, but if say noah from florida would have announced in december he was leaving florida and wanted to come to slu because the girl of his dreams was on the baby blues and he met her at cancun on fall break, wouldnt it have been nice to have that scholarship available?

sure that is extreme, but keep in mind that since soderberg has been here he rarely uses more than an 8 man rotation, is that 13th scholarship all that necessary? especially if we are just giving it away to give it away? i'd rather have it tied up for one year as a senior reward for a walkon than used for one of nates 327th team recruits.

our depth problem can directly be attributed to his missing on the character of obi and the slow development of bryce, maguire and knollmeyer.

they didnt come through as expected. husak shows signs and it is far too early to give up on maguire and knollmeyer yet. obi hurt. obi not having the character to rehab and get in shape to become the player everyone expected (georgia tech and minnesota recruited him before he was injured) was major. it will be interesting to see where he turns up.

>... since soderberg has been here he rarely uses more than an 8 man rotation, is

>that 13th scholarship all that necessary? especially if we are just giving it away to give it >away? i'd rather have it tied up for one year as a senior reward for a walkon than

>used for one of nates 327th team recruits.

>

>our depth problem can directly be attributed to his missing

>on the character of obi and the slow development of bryce,

>maguire and knollmeyer.

That's the problem.

If SLU was able to have a full roster, you could allow for kids to develop. That's one of the things that has made Southern Illinois successful over the years. They do a good enough job recruiting that they can take chances on kids (like De Soto's Tony Boyle), redshirt them and work to get them better.

SLU doesn't have that luxury.

A kid like Dustin Maguire was recruited to be a main contributor in his third year, but because there is no depth he's needed to contribute right away. When he's not ready for that, the coach either doesn't play him or uses a walk-on instead.

For the most part, SLU is recruiting players who aren't ready to play as freshmen. That eight-man rotation would be a lot stronger if there were players lower on the depth chart pushing them and working toward getting better.

That way you also wouldn't have assistant coaches, walk-ons and the coach's high school sophomore/junior filling in when the team tries to go five-on-five in a scrimmage.

The kids I mentioned earlier aren't difference-makers, but they could have helped the program establish some depth. Who knows what they would become if they had some coaching?

Instead SLU is giving scholarships and minutes to walk-ons. How many successful college basketball programs are doing that?

- Nate

Well stated Nate. If we have a system of 11-12 schollie players progressing through the ranks, then i would have to believe that our program would be in a better position.

Roy, you harp on the "crisis management" style of our Athletic Department, but Sodie isn't Sodie's recruiting akin to the AD in this respect?

nate, coffey played significant minutes in one game that lisch got hurt in. other than that, no walkons played in serious game time situations.

i think mitchell and relephorde will provide that push that you are talking about.

again, i believe obi ikeakor's fizzle cant be emphasized enough. true it was a miss, but i believe that he was counted on to have the character to get in shape and rehab and be a main contributor this past year. he wasnt.

when obi fails and dustin, adam and bryce dont come on as expected, every bit so. had they come through, no way luke plays power forward so you have another guard there plus dustin. and the bigs would have had adam, obi and bryce to contribute inside minutes.

now if in 3 years and retrospect dustin, adam and bryce were never contributors, then indeed he messed up big time. i'll wait.

"again, i believe obi ikeakor's fizzle cant be emphasized enough."

That's the problem with Sodie! He had to rely on a questionable, but previously solid player, with no adequate substitute which would leave LM at the 3.

Our team shouldn't have to rely on one rehabbing player, nor should that player's inability to play cause such a detrimental result.

SLU is 20% of the mid to top level D1 programs n the area. SLU has gotten at least 20% of the mid to top D1 talent in the area, including arguably #1 and #2. SLU is not missing out on recruiting the Stl area.

Coming out of HS are KL, TL, LM, DP, AK, and DM all not i the top 30 over the last 4 years? Hell they may all be in the top 20. There are other schools trying to recruit the Stl area besides SLU.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

So, you don't see anything wrong with a scholarship being available to give to Wendell? It is quite evident then that you don't understand the value of a SCHOLARSHIP PLAYER. What exactly was this fluke that Wendell was awarded the scholarship? The only "fluke" is that Brad didn't recruit enough people and he had one left over.

The fact that you think that Polk is better than Moosmann or Shipley is laughable. Have you seen either of them play or are you just defending polk because he plays for the Bills? Dwayne Polk is a hell of a nice guy, but HE CAN'T COMPETE at the D1 level.

Shaw was the 2nd option after Grimes.

Roundtree wasn't offered.

Meyer wasn't included because he was the 3rd or 4th best player on the team.

It

>"again, i believe obi ikeakor's fizzle cant be emphasized

>enough."

>

>That's the problem with Sodie! He had to rely on a

>questionable, but previously solid player, with no adequate

>substitute which would leave LM at the 3.

>

>Our team shouldn't have to rely on one rehabbing player, nor

>should that player's inability to play cause such a

>detrimental result.

Amen. Once again, I was saying this last recruiting season. Instead of relying on rehabbing Obi, we should have added a 4 who could contribute instead of Horace and the dreaded "open scholarship"

We had plenty of available schollies last spring and didn't get the job done.

>moytoy, but if say noah from florida would have announced in

>december he was leaving florida and wanted to come to slu

>because the girl of his dreams was on the baby blues and he

>met her at cancun on fall break, wouldnt it have been nice

>to have that scholarship available?

>

>

>sure that is extreme, but keep in mind that since soderberg

>has been here he rarely uses more than an 8 man rotation, is

>that 13th scholarship all that necessary? especially if we

>are just giving it away to give it away? i'd rather have it

>tied up for one year as a senior reward for a walkon than

>used for one of nates 327th team recruits.

Roy,

Maybe it is the fact that he can't recruit more than 8 people is why he is using an 8 man rotation. I would much rather have Josh Harrellson at the end our bench then Jeff Coffey. There is no way around that Roy. Btw, we almost lost to that infamous 327th ranked team that you keep referring to.

You don't know basketball. You can make a case for Moosman either way but not Shipley. Polk's big problem is the coaching staff still hasn't figured out how to use him right in the offense. Maybe the big problem there is we don't run an offense. Luke was the fourth best player on the team and that is part of the problem. If Luke is the fourth best player on the team next expect more of the same. Luke and Polk should be both coming off the bench on a pretty good tournament team. Don't go out there throwing out names that wouldn't help this team.

Shaw was offered so if he wanted to come here he would have plain and simple. They tried to third party offer Roundtree, which is the same thing SIU did. They couldn't make a direct offer to him per NCAA rules.

future, the point spread doesnt matter as far as i know.

as to harrelson, if he would have waited until spring he'd be a billiken. that is his own fault.

to have signed him early when we only had two scholarships would have been ridiculous. folks would have been asking why we settled for harrelson instead of getting someone higher ranked.

polk in high school had far more potential than either. as three star gave you in another post today, mooseman didnt exactly tear it up at miami ohio this year. his numbers are worse than polk's.

So you completely avoided the question as to to why there was a scholarship open to offer Wendell.

Roundtree was not offered. Believe what you want, but he wasn't offered.

By the way, Polk's big problem is that he is a 5'8 shooting guard who can't shoot, not the coaching staffs under utilization.

Is a 5'8" pg in a full court offense who plays pretty good defense. The problem is we never really ran the full court offense all year despite promises to do it. You are right about him not being able to shoot, he can't. I can't argue that one.

On the Wendall thing, Brad has always held a scholarship and so do a lot of other coaches. I am not saying I agree with it. It is the way he operates and the way many others do to. You are the one who acted like he was a scholarship player for four years he wasn't. He recieved a rewars for his sacrifice to the team for three years because nobody filled that last scholarship.