Gordo article questioning Brad's recruiting

SLUDrew

Nothing really new here, but I thought since it is a piece about SLU people may want to read.

He does more or less mention what I mentioned in an earlier post which is that if we think we can go into next year with a starting lineup of TL, KL, DP, LM, and BH, and expect the team to be successful, we are delusional.

In my opinion we will be at our best if we can go, TL, KL, LM, new recruit, new recruit. I don't think Bryce Husak is a starter on a tournament team, but we may be able to hide him offensively if we get an impact player at the 4.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/co...2F?OpenDocument

Balanced article and correct assessment that Sodie is "on the spot" in the coming season. Gordo obsesses over the situation in the front court but I'm cautiously optimistic well get a JUCO big and be fine there for the coming season. Having Marcus Relphorde as a 6'7" wing gives you another body to go down low and contribute minutes for short bursts. I tend to agree with 3Star that we have a greater need for a PG who can handle ball pressure and score giving us an upgrade over DP. If Sodie can pull an upgrade at PG out of the fire late in the recruiting cycle, that would impress me. Either way, TL and KL need to bulk up and be ready to bang with big guards when the refs swallow the whistle.

I dont think there is anyway that Brad has Luke Meyer coming off the bench. You can tell that he is our leader out there by the way he hustles and really gets after it. Plus Brad loves that senior leadership, which isnt really a bad thing. Plus, I think it will be really hard to find a spring recruit to replace Luke at the 3(assuming we land a PF)

We've seen enough of how Brad operates to know that Luke is in the starting lineup when the season starts. The only thing different this time around is that the players pushing the incumbent are both skilled and known for their defensive ability. That gives them a much better change of taking away minutes than Maguire did who had one attribute but not the other.

UB's recruiting problems are obvious even to the most casual observer. We knew even befored this season we needed a legit PF and a legit PG. UB said as much in September when he said, "if LM is our 4 we're going to struggle." But what I found interesting was Gordo's last sentence, "SLU's leadership isn't going to accept ordinary much longer." You think he know's something? Or just speculating?

my scenario is that we recruit two street tough power forwards to play inside and that either relophorde or mitchell emerges as the opposite three.

i agree that isnt likely to happen as indeed brad loves the grit and toughness that luke brings to the table. relophorde or mitchell would have to be very very good next fall for that to happen. but like i said, if it does happen, that is an indicator that something special is in the works.