Shaun Livingston

Being a fellow Peorian, I do feel bad for Shaun Livingston and his Joe Theismann-like injury (sans the 15 yard loss on the play), but he's gotta be playing with some curses from Duke fans and Illini fans. If you remember, he wore an Illini shirt and hat to school at Peoria High on signing day, then switched to Dooke gear before he made his announcement, then said 'screw you' to both programs and went pro.

I watched this kid probably a dozen times in Peoria and here at the Shootout and he is a great player, but probably won't be one of the great 'straight-outta-high-school' products. He should have gone to college and let Coach K or Bruce Almighty Weber fine-tune his game a bit. He's got the mind for the game, but didn't have the body to handle the abuse of the NBA. His constant injuries are a testament to that. You want to feel bad for the kid, and you can't turn back the clock and have regrets on what roads you take, but I'm sure that without the millions of dollars Livingston is making, he probably regrets not going to school. Maybe all this wouldn't have happened.

In 3 + seasons with the Clip Show, he's missed 71 games (almost an entire seasons worth of injuries). He's out for the remainder of the season, probably most of next season as well. Not good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6Ghupxbj9g&eurl=

This is probably the worst basketball injury I've ever seen. It doesn't look like he came down on it that hard, so I guess it took some really odd circumstances to buckle that way, plus the fact that he is really skinny for an NBA player. Ouch.

This is one of the first times I've ever known I couldn't handle watching something. I won't let myself watch the Theismann hit and I can't watch this injury. Sometimes I almost make myself puke just thinking about 18 months ago when I blew out my ACL, MCL and my left lateral meniscus. I'm about as curious as they come, but no thank you on this one!

Fortunately it was my left arm, so I could continue my career as a professional bocce player. I will never forget that match, though. I'll put it on YouTube if I ever find the video.

Blew mine away 21 years ago. Trying to dunk at Maryville. My femur was down into my lower leg. Had it scoped today...I'll be good for a couple years now and then the old knew replacement. I just hope I can rebound for my littlest guy in 2019 when he graduates high school. lol

I have a pic of livingtons knee too..man its ugly. OUCH !!!!

Not anymore...Used to at Cross Keys in North County.. Recently I was in the old mens YMCA league over 40 stuff... but not any more.. doc says I need to think about riding a bike and swimming for the rest of my life now. (after yesterdays scope) Until that goes and then I can go titanium!!! Told me my knee was in bad shape..he did a lot of cleanup in there. I'm feeling it now too.. thank god for vi-codein!!

No he doesn't have that problem...he's a little longer and jumps better then I did. He's dunked more in one game already last year as a frosh..(he!! even 8th grade) then I had in my entire career. lol

Cg

Big time athlete ..naw...we had a terrible team. I scored a few points in my day.. 1000 + 500+ as a jr... (no 3pt line either) hurt my ankle as a Sr.. kind of messed things up. Grawer actually came and watched me while playing juco ball...but I was not good enough to hang with those guys. So...no I don't think so.

watched the mccluer vs lafayette game on charter last night. tyler was fantastic. looks like he has put on good weight since last year (last time i watched tyler he was a freshman). i was very impressed with his soft hands. he catches just about everything and for a very tall sophomore that is unusual. too bad femi john was on the lafayette team. he would have made a nice sidekick. well maybe another day. ;-)

as to mccluer. roundtree is indeed the better athlete between john and he, but it appeared to me that john was the better basketball player and it was john that took over the game down the stretch on mccluer's part.

i'd take either one and be happy. there isnt a great difference imo.

yea Tyler has made a effort to eat more this year and it paid off. He was 186 at the end of last year. I'm prety sure it helped too. Now he is right around 210. He finished a little stronger this year then compared to last. At least that is some consolation. I think Tyler would rather be playing Sat. though.

yea I would agree with your assesment of John and Roundtree. John is the better student too... 3.?? 6 or 8 I think. Booker number 15 (they kept calling him by another name) He's a good kid too. Tyler got along well with Booker and John, last summer. They should have a pretty good summer. Booker's a pretty good student too. But more importantly they are good kids.

I watched some of the game last night on Charter and I felt like Roundtree was the best player on his team hands down. To be honest with you, I don't see Femi John as a Division I talent. I am not saying he is a bad player, but I don't see him being at the D-I level. I felt like Roundtree was all over the court. I am not sure how good Roundtree will be at SIU and if we truly missed out on a stud, but in my opinion he is a better player than John. I always tabbed Roundtree as a mid-major prospect and I just don't see it in John.

Tyler is a very impressive player and watching the game I was constantly telling myself this kid is just a sophomore. He has very soft touch and a very good feel for the game, I think as he continues to fill out he is going to become a special player. What schools have been showing your son the most interest? Also I see that your son has a pretty impressive website, tylergriffey.net, did he make that himself or did you do that?

Thanks!! John is a special player.. he has a pull up jumper that is very special. I've seen it several times. Wasn't a game that he was able to showcase his talents a whole bunch...but he's a special player. Trust me on that. Roundtree is good too, and don't forget Booker either.

As I have said before..the website was a simple way for me to deal with all the mail. It's worked out good for that. I'm just lazy and it's easier to write a URL then to fill out the same info over and over again. Yea you get a little more info with the website but it's worked out good. A friend did that for us. He used to coach Tyler in 5th -7th grade. Good buddy now.

He has a handful of offers, who knows where that will go. SLU, Mizz, ILL, Standford, Louisville, Purdue, KU, Wisc all been around some and a few others. Hope I'm not leaving anyone out. I'm sure I will hear about leaving someone off this list.

I am working in St. Louis and have been trying to get caught up on the local high school basketball scene.

I will take your word for it Mr. Griffey; like I said a few weeks ago, I have had a chance to see Roundtree in a couple venues and have only see John play twice and those were games with MCN. Why did your son choose to play with Gateway and not the Eagles? Can your son take Lafayette Legend Ryan Howard one-on-one?

Gateway let him play as an 8th grader and have done some things for him early. They play a competive schedule and Tyler likes the guys he plays with too. I don't see any reason to switch.

Ryan Howard..don't know about that one..but I think he lives down the street from us.. or maybe his mom and dad do.

Cg

griffster, i am not savy to the whole aau scene, and personally dont like the influence and pull that it posseses, but i would think that as long as gateway participates in the big tourneys that all the coaches attend it wouldnt matter. in fact if a player played on a team with a lot of like talent i could see a player getting lost in the crowd.

the fact you have the list of suitors you already have proves that tyler doesnt really need the exposure. he just needs the experience of playing against the best.

btw, who was the freshman inside player that was playing for lafeyette last night? i thought he looked like an interesting talent that bears watching as well.

Yea. that game is a perfect example of what summer basketball can do for you. Tyler used to playing in games like that against players like that. It's second nature for him. yea.. I was not a big fan of summer ball. But after the last couple games it has shown what summer ball can do for you. It's given Tyler some confidence too.

Gateway or the eagels...they are both good clubs..they just both have some different ideas on how to play and where that's all. Tyler sees plenty of competition in the summer, he's comfortable...I like the coaches and guys he plays with too. It a win win situation.

Will Kirksey..is a soph, not a frosh. But he's one big kid. #45 I think that is who your refering too. The other big Dallas Johson is a Sr.

yes, it was kirksey.

it was hard to keep names straight as karraker and johnson were really bad. why anyone pays demetrious johnson to be on media is beyond me.

I was just curious how the decision was made, not meant to knock Gateway. It was obvious from watching last night that Tyler was extremely comfortable playing against a team with top level talent in a high stakes game. He has great poise for a sophomore and I was extremely impressed. Who are some of the top players on Gateway that play with Tyler?

I also heard that there was a scoutfrom central missouri that will remain nameless that begged the Eagles to let Ty play with them as an 8th grader and they passed so Ty went to Gateway. The Eagles to either Bryant Allen or Richard Anderson instead as an 8th grader. I cant remember which one. Any truth to this?

Really wasn't a conscious decision to play with one or the other. He just wanted to play.

Again tryouts are coming up..last year he played with Booker, John, Spencer Goodman from Jackson, Willin (sp) kid from Cape Notre Dame, Hemphill from McClure N. Jason Stewart from Vianney A few kids always jump around every year.. so who knows. You always add a new face or two every year. They should be fine.

Vtime.. I think I know who and what you are referring too..but I'm not sure it went down like that. Yes the guy maybe lobbied for Tyler but..hey for whatever reason.. it's all worked out. Eagles do a good job with and for their kids. Gateway has done fine for Tyler.

Yeah, I just saw he played with Gateway and I am so used to seeing the top kids in the area associated with the Eagles that it took me by surprise and was just curious if there was any reason for the decision.

So you obviously would know much more about Femi John than me and I will take your thoughts over mine which were based on only two games. I would think that tryouts are only a week or two away. Will you be making the trip to Vegas this summer "to watch your son play"?