Bernie considers SLU irrelelevant

SLUDrew

This tidbit appeared in his column this morning:

"St. Louis U. continues to bob along in its usual state of blissful, bizarre and irrelevant mediocrity. Not that I should protest; SLU can win three games or 10 or 17 games or 20 games and it doesn't matter. Everyone is happy. It's always the 1950s at SLU."

I, and others, have said virtually the same thing countless times. There needs to be a culture change at SLU where winning is expected, not just hoped for. I think the quote also pertains to many on this board.

...those in the administration, those in the athletic department or those in the booster group who have publicly stated that they WANT the program to be mediocre?

Bernie cannot as he has been publicly challenged more than once on this exact question and he ignores it or changes the subject; he just hates SLU, win or lose.

Just because Bernie says it, doesn't make it so. I know for a fact that he reads this board (he has said so) and I believe he feeds off of it. When he says with regard to SLU's performance that "it doesn't matter", to WHOM does it not matter? One person: Bernie.

He is overtly lying when he says "everyone is happy" because that means Cheryl is happy, Brad is happy, Kevin is happy, Tommie is happy, etc. Do you actually believe him? Or, are you just falling pray to his hyperbole?

If he wants to write that the team has failed to live up to many's expectations, fine. If he wants to right that the team missed an opportunity this year, fine. If he wants to write that Ian has been a colossal disappointment, fine. But to write what he CONSISTENTLY writes is bull**** and serves one purpose and ONE purpose only: promoting Bernie as a ###### disturber. And so many get sucked right in everytime...and even defend him. He has no allegiance to SLU yet so many SLU fans seem to implicitly swear an allegiance to Bernie.

"A strong man stands up for himself; a stronger man stands up for others." - Ben

Please define "culture change at SLU". If you mean that changes need to be initiated by Fr. Biondi, the entire athletic department needs to be overhauled, people and job duties changed, a real sports information director hired and a real TV and radio package obtained, then I agree. While I would give Brad job security only thru next year (and would have made up my mind after the close of this Fall's signing period), I would get rid of Brad now on condition that CL get her own people from the receptionist thru the head coach.

To all of you calling for Brad's head now and placing all blame on him, 27 years of experience has taught me that changing the head coach alone will not help. Initially optimism will be offset by the new coach's learning curve. Initial success recruiting (not guaranteed simply by making a change) will fade as SLU's inherent institutional deficiencies drag down the initial success and cause frustration with the new coach causing him to either "retire" or move on to another program.

That was my point in seconding Bernie's assertion. The is a prevailing attitude that "SLU is what it is" and that drives me insane. There needs to be an inifinitely better marketing push. The TV package is an absolute joke. (I have seen Creighton on TV far more than SLU), and possibly the recruiting budget needs significant improvement, though I don't know the details of that situation.

However, there have been programs with far less in terms of financial resources, fan base, etc that have done far more. Brad cannot escape blame here entirely. Someone was able to convince kids to come to a middle of nowhere town in southern Illinois. Someone was able to convince kids to come to SLU's virtual twin up in frigid Milwauee. Someone was able to convince kids to go to a seldom talked about school in Spokane Washington. You say they have their own arenas. Okay, how about convincing kids to come to a school with no on campus arena in Peoria, Il of all places.

The list of Coaches who have found a way to overcome far fewer obstacles than Brad has to overcome is a long one.

I do think a lot of changes need to be made, but I think it starts with the head coach

I took this as sarcasm on Bernie's part not a factual statement. The fact that the basis for his sarcasm is the program's actual results over the last seven years seems to have struck a nerve AF. I would agree no one in Admin or who is associated with the team is content or happy with being stuck in neutral for so many years. Bernie, as a commentator on the St.Louis sports scene, is permitted to take his shots where he sees fit. And you cannot argue with him that the program is generating about as much excitement as a paint drying contest. Which is a shame as sports fans in St.Louis have shown in the past they can get excited about and support a winner at SLU. Where do you think articles on last night's game would have appeared in the sports page if it had been win #21 and we took the lead in the A-10, versus our 10th loss and dropped us to sixth? I love to follow this team this university, but when it starts sliding down that slipper slope of mediocrity, interest and enthusiasm starts to wane. I was excited when I booked my tickets to AC for the tourney, right now I'm thinking of changing them to go and visit my son in Portland, Ore. Why? Do I really think they have a shot at the brass ring...no...not anymore, and I don't want to spend 4-5 days in AC in March. Too cold, not that big of a gambler, and don't want to see two other schools playing for a spot in the NCAA if it ain't gonna be SLU.

Assume for a minute, Clock Tower, you interview for a job. Your prospective boss tells you, "You may not have all the resources of the bigs in our business, but we're looking for resourceful people. And if you succeed the rewards will be great." You take the job. You prove to be resourceful, you beat the competition. Two things will likely happen: You get rewarded from your employer, or you jump to the other side. Either way you win. Did UB state when he took his job, well I need more to succeed here? No. Has he ever complained he doesn't have the support or resources to get the job done? No. Now granted he's got to be politically correct. But if he's that good a HC, he wouldn't stand for it. He'd leave out of pure frustration and have other schools limo's waiting to take him to the airport to fly him to his next interview. Other coaches are getting it done with less...they are resourceful.

I just read Bernie's column. He includes what has become his usual quick hit and run re SLU without substance or explanation.

1. Is Bernie (still) holding a grudge because Father Biondi specifically mentioned (joked) about Bernie at the press conference when Brad "Soderberger" was announced as the new SLU Coach?

2. Bernie's choice then was Brian Gregory, who has not exactly distinguished himself at Dayton since taking that job.

3. Bernie kept that running tally of days in the paper about the new Arena not getting done. Does the Bern know that money does not grow on trees? Is he aware that SLU is a private school? And the Arena is being built.

4. What exactly does Bernie mean about SLU being in the 1950's? I wasn't alive in the 1950's, and Bernie wouldn't remember life then, if he was alive himself. Frankly, looking at the record books, the 1950's were good times for basketball at SLU. SLU had 2 All-Americans then and 2 NCAA appearances in a greatly reduced field.

There is no question that this has been a disappointing season for SLU. Expectations were justifiably high. It would be one thing for Bernie to write about what has happened, what has gone wrong. It is quite another for a blanket condemnation without any substance.

And then Bernie gives the PR piece for the Missouri Valley. The Valley is a 3 team NCAA league at best this year. Wichita State has had just as disappointing of a year as SLU, if not more so, considering that WSU was in the NCAA Sweet 16 last year. Bernie just sluffs that off to the allegedly tough competition in the Valley. No, that is not the reason. WSU has had a bad year too. Is there a double standard right in Bernie's column itself?

Well, by his comments in today's Post, I think BS is getting more and more frustrated with each game his team plays. Calling his team a JV team and stating that he is basically at a lost for words on why his team can play well for a stretch and then just basically get blown out two games in a row. I sense BS frustration and I think most on this board do.

So where do you go now? Wait one more year and take this insanity once again? I guess that might be our only choice. Get used to it boys.

By the way, we all know Bernie is a shi@ disturber, but I sense that he struck a nerve in some of us. To me, that means he is making some good points and I really cannot disagree with him. He may have written a piss poor column about a week ago regarding my beloved Chicago Bears but I still think the man laid it out for all of us to see what is really the truth: things need to change at SLU...or we will just continue to blab about the same old crap....

I also think BM was taking a slap at SLU's fan base. Yes, at you guys who come on here and defend the seven years of mediocrity with argumenst like, "we're better academically", "we don't have the resources", "Fr Biondi's more interested in nude statues than hoops." I think he's a little amazed fans can be so understanding or so tolerant with the lack of success the program's had. One question for the Kool Aid Clubbers, you must like Billiken hoops, so what do you like about it so much? And yes, I love Billiken hoops too. But I'd love to see something really positive happen with this program. It's expectations and hope that keep me coming back. My training as a life long Red Sox fan.....

For the record, this poster is not a member of the Kool-Aid Club. But I do feel compelled to come to the defense of the alma mater when a blanket condemnation like Bernie's appears like today, especially when Bernie uses SLU to prop up further the Missouri Valley, that conference of the rigged RPI.

Re the Valley, SIU is not that much better than SLU. SLU beat SIU last year, and it says here that SLU would beat SIU in St. Louis this year. I saw SIU in person barely beat an average at best, and now disappointing, St. Mary's team in a game that could have gone either way. SLU beat Missouri State.

No, the Valley is propped up on its perch by judicious scheduling and being ahead of the curve in figuring out the RPI. The Valley has a number of average to below average teams- Indiana State, Illinois State, Evansville, Drake. The Valley has a big disappointment in Wichita State and another middler in Bradley.

SLU and its fan base, its administration, and everyone else associated with the program is stuck in neutral and has been for a very long time.

To Bay, you cannot be serious thinking we are even in the same catagory as SIU. We lost 9 outta 10 games if we play SIU, and there's nothing to show that we should even beat them once.

I find it very hard to defend SLU after not showing up in Rhode Isalnd and for that matter, not showing up the entire season.

Granted, SLU's season cannot be defended. That is not my point. My point is defending against this blanket condemnation. What are the real facts behind Bernie's jabs? And SLU should not be used in a PR piece to pump up the Valley.

Will those MVC Tournament games draw significantly bigger crowds than SLU games? Is St. Louis waiting with baited breath for those 7-10, 8-9 Valley matchups in the opening round?

Also, I am of a vastly different opinion than Canadian re SIU.

SLU would not lose 9 out of 10 to SIU. Just look at SIU's history of losing to SLU in games played in St. Louis. It has been the rarest of rare birds for SIU to beat the Billikens in St. Louis.

Again, I have seen SIU play in person, and I have seen SIU play on TV. I would not bet the farm that SIU will go far in the NCAA. SIU has a good guard in Tatum and an undersized Center in Falker. What else is there?

SIU WILL be dancing come March. We will be kicking the family dog and b**ching about this past season, UB's lousy recruiting, and how next year looks like more of the same. At least some of us will, but we're not real Bills fans. Real Bills fans are stuck in the 50's, happy days.

SIU six years dancing in a row.....think about that for a minute. Six freaking years in a row. Wouldn't you just love to have been at a Bay Area sports bar the last six years on Thursday or Friday watching the Bills try and upset some biggies in round one?

>Granted, SLU's season cannot be defended. That is not my

>point. My point is defending against this blanket

>condemnation. What are the real facts behind Bernie's jabs?

> And SLU should not be used in a PR piece to pump up the

>Valley.

>

>Will those MVC Tournament games draw significantly bigger

>crowds than SLU games? Is St. Louis waiting with baited

>breath for those 7-10, 8-9 Valley matchups in the opening

>round?

>

>Also, I am of a vastly different opinion than Canadian re

>SIU.

>SLU would not lose 9 out of 10 to SIU. Just look at SIU's

>history of losing to SLU in games played in St. Louis. It

>has been the rarest of rare birds for SIU to beat the

>Billikens in St. Louis.

>

>Again, I have seen SIU play in person, and I have seen SIU

>play on TV. I would not bet the farm that SIU will go far

>in the NCAA. SIU has a good guard in Tatum and an

>undersized Center in Falker. What else is there?

A 15th ranked team in the country?

I couldn't be any more serious. I've posted before that something is wrong with the RPI rankings. In my opinion, there is no way that SIU is the 9th best team in the country.

Again, I saw SIU play in person. They barely beat RPI #176 (St. Mary's). That game was tied late and could have gone either way. If you saw the game, you could see that SIU really had only 2 good players in Tatum and Falker.

Once SIU gets in the NCAA, any club with good big men will be able to overpower the 6'7" undersized Center, Falker.

Don't listen to me. Go ahead and pick SIU in your brackets. As always, a lot will depend upon the competition.

But I will say this, if SIU barely beat St. Mary's, if the Salukis get matched up with say a Santa Clara in Round 1, with 6'10" and 6'11" starters, don't bet that farm in Little Egypt on the beloved, media darling Salukis.

72 said:

I love to follow this team this university, but when it starts sliding down that slipper slope of mediocrity, interest and enthusiasm starts to wane. I was excited when I booked my tickets to AC for the tourney, right now I'm thinking of changing them to go and visit my son in Portland, Ore. Why? Do I really think they have a shot at the brass ring...no...not anymore, and I don't want to spend 4-5 days in AC in March. Too cold, not that big of a gambler, and don't want to see two other schools playing for a spot in the NCAA if it ain't gonna be SLU.

This post defines you as to prototypical fair-weather fan. You have lost all credibility with this post and your spate of whining posts today is very sad. No one is happy about the way this season has gone, but that doesn't cause real Billiken fans to become crybabys. I hope you haven't become so bitter taht you can't return to making your usual reasonable posts.

Have fun in P-town, it is a great city.