Roy, your spin re: Roundtree

Nate Latsch

You can't be serious in the other thread about Southern Illinois doing something wrong in its recruitment of Roundtree, can you?

It has been noted on this board hundreds of times about SLU offering various players scholarships when those players were sophomores or juniors (on in Griffey's case, a freshman). SLU has several offers out right now to juniors.

But because a junior chose another school and said SLU didn't recruit him much, that other school has done something wrong and is breaking rules regarding recruiting?

If you look at the NCAA website long enough, maybe you can find a way to make up for all the recruiting mistakes of the current coach's regime and be able to find more than six Division I players to put on the roster.

- Nate

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i didnt say that. you are putting words out there now nate. i questioned what siu did that slu didnt do based on the recruiting limitations rules. which imo you should have found before me and asked the same questions that i did.

when a crazy commit comes out of nowhere like this one did, and we know from rivals that slu also offered the kid, and the kid said that slu was really his first choice but claims that slu didnt "recruit" him as much, even though most of what recruiting means cant happen until after june 1, why werent you asking specifically what that meant?

i posted the sections of the ncaa rules that pertained to contacts and what schools can or cannot do and the limitations they are under.

so one has to wonder, "what did siu do that slu didnt?"

that isnt an accusation, that is a legit question. in fact i posted that siu has always been a clean program. you made the leap that you now post and in fact it p!sses me off that you did. you had no right to make that accusation about me. why dont you do your job and ask the right questions. the nate that used to post here wouldnt have been that lazy.

>6 D-1 players, eh? Guess you're not much of a Billiken fan

>these days.

>

>So, I can assume you don't consider Adam or Dustin D-1

>players. I'm sure that wasn't your story last year when you

>were probably buddy/buddy with these guys looking for a

>scoop.

I'm not sure what I did to you for you to accuse me of making things up, but if it makes you feel better go ahead and say whatever you want.

- Nate

It will go like this, "you mean to tell me that Dustin Maguire and Adam Knollmeyer aren't good enough to sit at the end of the bench for Savannah St? Then it is ridiculous to say they aren't division-I basketball players."

He does this so he can ignore your central point that Brad is severely lacking when it comes to evaluating players.

i missed that stupid statement that nate made.

geez nate. you sound like one of the anti brad idiots now. you do know that there are 336 division one schools? you dont think adam knollmeyer and dustin maguire and justin johnson are worthy roster players for any of the division one schools?

if you meant to say that there are only 6 players worthy of high division one rosters, fine. say that. but dont call our players that are obviously division one roster quality players not worthy of division one rosters. that really makes you look stupid and hard to believe you are actually a sports reporter.

do your homework nate.

Making things up? Not sure where I did that (if you're referring to my Adam/DM comment, then please tell me who the 6 are). But when somebody says my team only has 6 d-1 players on it, it's gonna piss me off. I don't care if it's johnny reporter from the post dispatch or the guy in the office next to me.

no drew, i say that because 1. it isnt true that they arent division one players, they are. and 2. it is a tremendous insult to our players that is totally unjustified.

if he meant to say they arent top 50 roster quality players, fine. i wont argue that. but dont say they arent division one players. that is a lie. a lie that shouldnt come from a sports reporter.

>i didnt say that. you are putting words out there now nate.

> i questioned what siu did that slu didnt do based on the

>recruiting limitations rules. which imo you should have

>found before me and asked the same questions that i did.

>

>when a crazy commit comes out of nowhere like this one did,

>and we know from rivals that slu also offered the kid, and

>the kid said that slu was really his first choice but claims

>that slu didnt "recruit" him as much, even though most of

>what recruiting means cant happen until after june 1, why

>werent you asking specifically what that meant?

>

>i posted the sections of the ncaa rules that pertained to

>contacts and what schools can or cannot do and the

>limitations they are under.

>

>so one has to wonder, "what did siu do that slu didnt?"

>

>that isnt an accusation, that is a legit question. in fact

>i posted that siu has always been a clean program. you made

>the leap that you now post and in fact it p!sses me off that

>you did. you had no right to make that accusation about me.

> why dont you do your job and ask the right questions. the

>nate that used to post here wouldnt have been that lazy.

Roy,

The difference in this equation was Chris Lowery vs. Brad Soderberg.

One coach made the recruit feel like he wanted to play for him. The other did not.

You and I both know there are ways around the rules for contacting these recruits, like asking a high school coach to have a player call the college coach. How many times did SLU contact Kevin Lisch when he was a sophomore and a junior?

Almost all of these schools are using the same types of tactics to recruit, with the exception of Kelvin Sampson and a couple other guys.

This particular case came down to Lowery doing a better job than Soderberg.

- Nate

>Making things up? Not sure where I did that (if you're

>referring to my Adam/DM comment, then please tell me who the

>6 are). But when somebody says my team only has 6 d-1

>players on it, it's gonna piss me off. I don't care if it's

>johnny reporter from the post dispatch or the guy in the

>office next to me.

>

>

In the other thread, you wrote: "Again, all this talk about Torres wanting to come here is bull. Maybe he was feeding Nate what he was looking for. Maybe it was made up."

- Nate

so again, why am i asking what that difference was and not the reporter that is here saying "because a 16 year old kid said i felt more wanted, siu did a better job". what the hell does that mean.

we know what the rules are. i just posted in the other thread. they both cant call. they both have limited times they can even go watch them play, neither can have him over for an official visit. why didnt you ask the question nate?

you can apologize anytime you want for accusing me of saying lowery cheated. in the meantime do your job instead of trying to accuse brad of not doing his.

I'm not trying to personally attack you, Nate. I backed up my line of thinking. Let's take my life...which is pretty much what happens across the board...

I wanted to major in Aerospace Engineering. I was accepted by Auburn. Then I was accepted by Tennessee Tech. I wasn't satisfied with the programs at these places, nor was it really where I wanted to go to college. I waited for my accpetance letter to SLU. Then I went to SLU.

Now, if what you said is true...He really wants to come to slu...then why would you make a verbal in the middle of February?

Do you see what I'm saying? It doesn't make sense. If you have a number 1 choice, then you're sure as hell gonna try and make that happen. You're not gonna make a decision OVER A YEAR before it's even necessary!!

>we know what the rules are. i just posted in the other

>thread. they both cant call. they both have limited times

>they can even go watch them play, neither can have him over

>for an official visit. why didnt you ask the question nate?

If a kid commits to a school, I am supposed to scrutinize how that player was recruited?

Again, this comes down to Chris Lowery vs. Brad Soderberg. Lowery developed a relationship with the player and made him feel wanted. Soderberg did not.

- Nate

>Now, if what you said is true...He really wants to come to

>slu...then why would you make a verbal in the middle of

>February?

>

>Do you see what I'm saying? It doesn't make sense. If you

>have a number 1 choice, then you're sure as hell gonna try

>and make that happen. You're not gonna make a decision OVER

>A YEAR before it's even necessary!!

I understand your line of thinking, dealing with your personal life.

In this situation, you're talking about a kid who wanted to go to SLU. But that player, while going through the recruiting process, found a coach at another school who made him feel wanted more than the coach at the first school.

Why would this player hold out to go to the first school if he doesn't think the school wants him?

- Nate

What we have is a three star player from St. Louis who wanted to come to SLU, but for whatever reason is heading to SIU. Instead of acknowledging that Brad dropped the ball ( a scenario not at all lacking for precedent) they would rather claim that SIU cheated, or even worse, that there must be something wrong with Roundtree to have made such a decision.

SLU has six players who average more than 19 minutes of playing time a game and a seventh who averages about 12.

Maybe saying six Division I players isn't fair. I should have said six players who are counted on to contribute or six who can score more than three points per game.

- Nate

nate said,

"that player, while going through the recruiting process, found a coach at another school who made him feel wanted more than the coach at the first school."

the first school, slu, according to rivals.com also offered him a scholarship.

so how does lowery say that siu wanted him more then? "sure they offered you a scholarship, but we want you more." what the hell is more? how do you convince a kid that got the ultimate, an offer, that the siu offer was more than the slu offer?

that sounds like the cheerleaders at the high school games -

"we got spirit yes we do, we got spirit how about you?"

we got more, we got more.

slu offered. what else were they supposed to do?

Nate I totally agree with you. You aren't going to win an argument with Roy though when logic doesn't come into play.

Roy I felt bad enough when it was said that Brad didn't offer Roundtree and he chose SIUC. I feel even worse now that I know Brad did offer.

Throw out all the NCAA rules. Unless I go to North this afternoon and see Roundtree driving off in an Escalade there were no violations. You have to face facts. Lowery works harder and inspires kids to come play for him. He has beaten Brad several times now and will continue to do so unless Brad changes his ways.

The fact that podunk carbondale outrecruits us should have you up in arms. Instead you wanna make excuses, blame reporters who are giving us valuable information, and come up with some wild recruiting violation conspiracy.

You need to face facts. Carbondale is beating our ass at recruiting in our own backyard. If SLU is to be successful this cannot happen. You are losing credibility on the board by not accepting these facts.

>What we have is a three star player from St. Louis who

>wanted to come to SLU, but for whatever reason is heading to

>SIU. Instead of acknowledging that Brad dropped the ball ( a

>scenario not at all lacking for precedent) they would rather

>claim that SIU cheated, or even worse, that there must be

>something wrong with Roundtree to have made such a decision.

Drew,

It's not a fight I'm trying to win.

All along, I've just tried to post information on here that people can't get from other sources.

I'm also careful about what I post, as to not give too much information or to get any of my sources in trouble. If a recruit tells me something about the process, on the record, then I'm willing to share that info if it's not going to run in the paper.

My story in Saturday's paper about Roundtree will include additional information about some of the recruits in the junior class and who Roundtree is trying to get to go with him to Carbondale. It will also include that Roundtree wants to follow Lowery to another school if the coach gets a new job before next season.

- Nate

and i am saying that considering the circumstances and ncaa rules and knowing that both schools offered him a scholarship that makes no sense. yet you want to take the kids word on that and accuse soderberg of not doing his job?