Eckerle

jp18

if i was kevin durant and had a 32 act, i think you are correct. durrant is going to be at worst the 3rd pick in the july nba draft. he will be a millionaire via basketball. and texas allowed him to showcase his basketball skills at the highest level even if he was also a brainiac.

erckle likely is never going to the nba. or in my example, even if my daughter was an olympic softball pitcher (she isnt) she wont make a living playing softball. she will make a living possibly as an engineer though why wouldnt she grab the washington university diploma which will likely land her the better after college job?

Wash U and SLU athletics are uncomparable. Just worlds apart.

All I'm saying is that 95% of college athletes won't be playing for money after college...and 80% probably know that going in. However, the chance to recieve a top notch education AND participate in major athletics, statistically speaking, is a very rare opportunity. That needs to be considered. From my point of view your EXPERIENCES in college are just as important in determining your future than the education you recieve...if not moreso.

I can't fault a kid for choosing an unbelievable school like Wash U. But so much more should be considered than simply where the school ranks in USA Today. And if Ekerle wants to see what it's like to step on the court during an ESPN broadcast, well, I can't fault him for that either.

my daughter is a good softball pitcher, but i dont know if she is bigtime. she might have a chance to pitch in college, but is too young (high school sophomore) to tell yet.

conway is a good upgrade as the softball coach and has a lot of area connections and friends in the select softball leagues that he will be able to recruit missouri well. if given scholarships, he will bring the level of slu softball up.

softball recruiting is wild. my daughter's team played at a college exposure tourney in october that had teams from all over the country playing. there were probably about 200 college coaches there the entire weekend. i am not enjoying that part of her high school athletic career much and dread the next couple of years actually if things continue to progress. and the cut throat attitude of some of the select coaches is just plain nasty. ugly people that outnumber the good people.

Yeah I actually grew up down the street from Mr. Conway and went to gradeschool with his daughter, Nicole. Good family and really nice guy. Well, I hope your daughter continues to improve and some day gets a chance to play for the Billikens. If she becomes the next Cat Osterman and you head down to UT for a visit let me know, we can grab a drink on 6th street.

cat is my daughter's idol.

Conway has sent her a recruiting note already so i was impressed by that. of course the wash u coach, coach boutte has also as well as a couple of others. to be honest, not sure if they saw her at that college tourney or sent her a letter because her name was on the roster as their letter's were pretty generic. so i am not counting on anything yet.

It's certainly an interesting thread.

Each individual out there has to decide what is important to them. To some, being close to home is important, others want a new life experience, and so on.

Academics and athletics can co-exist, Texas is a very good school. But how many fringe talents can play at a big time athletic school that also has strong academic options? Some kids also consider urban vs suburban or rural, big city vs small. etc...some kids don't want to give up playing sports, and play D-2 or D-3 or even small D-1 ball because they want to do both. Other kids say, well I know I want to go to a bigger school with bigger atlehtics etc...and if I amnot good enough to play, I still want to go there and hang up the sneakers, maybe go intramurals.

Of course kids can go to top academic institutions and then get out and not do as well in their career than others. But it still doesn't take away the fact that elite academic schools open more doors more often than those other schools. Big time college athletes also get many doors open to them for different reasons. Strong alumni networks nationally also open a lot of doors.

Nobody would sit here and say Wash U doesn't have more academic strength than SLU. Some kids might want a different life experience. Maybe some kids don't want to go to a D-1 basketball only school because it is too small for them and they want more going on...etc....

A Wash U degree doesn't guarantee you better success than a SLU degree. But it has more potential and opportunity in a wider arena than a SLU degree. That doesn't mean that potential is always reached or better served to everyone. If someone received a law degree from Wash U and another from SLU...might not matter a whole lot if you live in that area. It would matter a great deal if you lived elsewhere. If somebody did the same thing in Boston...one could go to Suffolk law school and have great success and opportunity...and another to Harvard. ....move those two people to St. Louis, and it makes a difference. It is the intial door it opens, then it is up to your ability.

Some very bright kids take an academic scholarship to a more local or smaller or regional school....and obviously have great potential...another kid might say, it is important to me to also get that reputation, contacts, experience in that environment.