Thoughts

No Canadian I AM saying that swinging the ball around the perimeter will NOT get the ball inside. The way to beat a 2-3 is to make the ameba move left-right AND inside-outside.

At this point, we do not have a solid dribble penetrator, nor the taller forward to play the key position, so no high low exists, ergo we need the shooters. If we don't have Ian inside, we don't have open guards outside.

Your belief that Ian should improve like Lasme or Nivins is laughable. His physical potential is essentially already tapped, and maxed. However, his understanding of the game, and how to make other players achieve more success, and expend less effort to do such, has grown significantly. It seems obvious that this is not obvious to you, but the real students of the game(ie Thicks) know exactly what I say.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thicks, i dont think many people think that ian is just terrible to the point they want to sit him out of the games. and you are right that even the watered down ian is better than what the billikens have had most years. the frustration sets in though when you think about the fact that ian thought he was good enough to be considered for the nba and flirted with the draft and then he comes back his senior season and shows less than what we saw last year.

add to that spurts like his fantastic first half vs north carolina, when those instances become less than the norm, then it is easy to see any fans frustration. my enthusiasm for the season was buoyed on us having the three headed monster of ian, kevin and tommie. if all three played at the level we know they are capable of, that equated to big accomplishments. the truth is, we have yet to see all three play that way the same games. and as of late, it has been liddell by himself and if anyone is our second player it is luke meyer.

He hasn't really been worse over all this year. Maybe expectations have changed so much that some are disapointed. I laid out his stats. He is down in some areas and better in others. Yes, he had bad games at The Bonnies and against the Gas grills, but hell, so did almost the entire team.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

thicks it is my opinion that the lottery picks are typically all the potential picks. i.e. may not have shown it yet, but has all the physical attributes to blow up. thus, even though hansborough has the better stats and more consistent performances this year, an nba team will select his teamate, brandon wright, before they pick tyler just because wright is 3 inches taller, has a longer wingspan and can jump 5 inches higher. not saying that is right, but they do it every year.

I hate when NBA teams do this. Every year they draft "upside" over proven talent. Every year, NBA teams are let down by "upside" draft picks (cite: Chicago Bulls 199-2005). It wasn't until they drafted a proven player (Kirk Heinrich) that things finally started clicking.

Drafting "upside" is the worst strategy as it offers a high return, yet at a rediculously high risk. For every Kobe and KG, there's a Kwame, Bender, etc.