Profile of Dr. Richard Chaifetz in Chicago Tribune

thetorch

Chaifetz is closer than people think to buying an NBA team. He's been in talks with Tom Stillman, who is attempting to buy the Blues, about the possibility of buying the Scottrade or working out reasonable accommodations on dates when Chaifetz brings the Hornets to STL.

Chaifetz is closer than people think to buying an NBA team. He's been in talks with Tom Stillman, who is attempting to buy the Blues, about the possibility of buying the Scottrade or working out reasonable accommodations on dates when Chaifetz brings the Hornets to STL.

I'd been wondering about that. It seems like Stillman could use all the help he can get.

You'd think Burwell would be all over that possibility.

How would would buying an NBA impact the good doctor's ability to support the Billikens?

Does the NCAA allow an NBA owner to bankroll a college team?

Haven't there been some NBA owners who have donated big to college athletics? Cuban to Indiana? Kroenke to Mizzou? Just wondering.

My guess is that there's no issue, as long as they aren't giving any NBA benefits to college athletes.

Apparently the NBA has identified two groups that could buy the Hornets. The preferred group that currently has exclusive negotiating rights is based in California and intends to keep the team in NOLA. I suppose the good doctor might be the second group.

Also David Stern has at least publicly come out against any franchises relocating right now.