Is Bernie right about our fans?

SLUDrew

>He is a paper tiger. He gets killed in the radio ratings by

>Slaten. This happens even with him being the lead sports

>columnist for the only daily newspaper in town. Notice he

>doesn't get booked on FSN as much anymore or Sports Plus.

>His asking price for these things is way past any ratings

>benefit he could ever deliver and they have found this out.

>

>He is really pretty sad, he has such a need for urban street

>cred he feels a need to suck up to the Charlie Tunas and DJs

>of the area. this just further strains his credibility. I

>haven't even metioned his seemingly endless desire to wear

>throwbacks that are at least two sizes too small for him.

>Bernie doesn't drive public opinion in this town and he

>really doesn't even help spur the conversation.

>

>The Morning Grind crew has a bigger influence on the sports

>conversation in this town than Bernie does. It might not be

>realized by a lot of people on this board because of the age

>of many posters. Bernie works for a no longer relevant

>newspaper and a never relevant radio station.

Couldn't disagree more. First, Miklasz is the most powerful sports media figure in St. Louis by a long shot. The Post-Dispatch is in the top 25 of newspaper circulations nationally(that only daily newspaper thing you kindly pointed out) on a list that includes 5 NYC metro are daily papers, Wall Street Journal and USA Today. And the Post was actually in the minority of those that increased circulation percentage-wise this past year. Miklasz also does other appearances on television, radio, and of the charity variety, and media evens. He was on KMOX since 1985, at the time the #1 radio station in St. Louis. And just recently started on ESPN radio with his own show. KFNS on the other hand, averaged a 1.2 rating this past year, and came in 21st in St. Louis radio station ratings. Let's take those thousands and compare those to the hundreds of thousands reading that newspaper every day. Hmm....carry the one....scratches head...and the insecure need to try to poke fun at physical characteristics of other people, or try to add to century old stereotypes is a yawnfest, not humorous at best, and completely lacking in any sophistication, maturity or just plain common sense intelligence. You aren't talking to an old person here. But what you need to understand is that The Morning Grind might drive the sports conversation with you and your 25 year old buddies...but you are a tiny little fraction of the audience out there, which puts you in the deep minority. Have your posts really come to trying to poke fun at of someone's wardrobe and weight? Or the MSU one of tractors and teeth...? Surely you have better material than this? You don't have the "facts" correct in this post on sports influence in this town. ...opinions on the other hand are great and there are no right or wrong opinions. But...I want to laugh out loud, Surely you have better material?

If you want to take the word of the Post when it comes to the circulation numbers be my guest. I guess you are not familar with the bogus numbers that papers around the country have been reporting or printed editions that are being dumped to boost numbers and ad rates. This being a one newspaper town there is no one to challenge the numbers they put out. Even sadder is the age demographic that newspapers deliver.

Most people who by the paper do not by it for the sports section or read the sports section.

You can give all the KMOX numbers you want but they are a little bogus too. The radio ratings with them losing baseball prove that a large number of people in this town still keep the radio on KMOX and keep it on KMOX no matter who is on. It has always been that way. BM did not move the Mox's numbers at all.

If you want to know how effective someone is at moving people and opinion look at the ad rates they can charge. The Grind and Slaten generate more ad money than Bernie.

I am not saying either of those shows are better or more informative than BM. But the ratings don't lie and ad rates don't lie.

Where do you think you are going to draw new Billiken fans from? The blue hairs that are set in there ways and pay attention to Bernie. Or, the younger audience that has disposable income. People that are not set in what they do every night because it is the same thing they have been doing for thirty years. Or, people that have young children that don't want to pay the inflated baseball, hockey, and football ticket prices, but still would like to start a tradition with their kids.

You get on here and talk about marketing the soccer and basketball programs. You talk about how badly it is done now. Yet, you have know idea how you would even start to do it properly.

The best thing the school has done is the relationship is the relationship it has with KFNS. Even with the crappy singal at night, you can't beat the number one sports station in town talking about your team and plugging your up coming games all day.

>If you want to take the word of the Post when it comes to

>the circulation numbers be my guest. I guess you are not

>familar with the bogus numbers that papers around the

>country have been reporting or printed editions that are

>being dumped to boost numbers and ad rates. This being a

>one newspaper town there is no one to challenge the numbers

>they put out. Even sadder is the age demographic that

>newspapers deliver.

>

>Most people who by the paper do not by it for the sports

>section or read the sports section.

>

>You can give all the KMOX numbers you want but they are a

>little bogus too. The radio ratings with them losing

>baseball prove that a large number of people in this town

>still keep the radio on KMOX and keep it on KMOX no matter

>who is on. It has always been that way. BM did not move

>the Mox's numbers at all.

>

>If you want to know how effective someone is at moving

>people and opinion look at the ad rates they can charge.

>The Grind and Slaten generate more ad money than Bernie.

>

>I am not saying either of those shows are better or more

>informative than BM. But the ratings don't lie and ad rates

>don't lie.

>

>Where do you think you are going to draw new Billiken fans

>from? The blue hairs that are set in there ways and pay

>attention to Bernie. Or, the younger audience that has

>disposable income. People that are not set in what they do

>every night because it is the same thing they have been

>doing for thirty years. Or, people that have young children

>that don't want to pay the inflated baseball, hockey, and

>football ticket prices, but still would like to start a

>tradition with their kids.

>

>You get on here and talk about marketing the soccer and

>basketball programs. You talk about how badly it is done

>now. Yet, you have know idea how you would even start to do

>it properly.

>

>The best thing the school has done is the relationship is

>the relationship it has with KFNS. Even with the crappy

>singal at night, you can't beat the number one sports

>station in town talking about your team and plugging your up

>coming games all day.

You are all wound up and all over the board on topics. This topic was about how Miklasz relates to SLU. So let me cover that first, and I will gladly indulge you on the others. Okay...now you are back peddaling...what I said was... that Miklasz wields the most sports media power in town, period. And that is still true. You respond by saying a few things: Ratings? 1.2 rating for the past year for KFNS...that number again is 1.2....it is actually in the ballpark of other cities...but those cities are 1.2 or 1.5 with 8 million people in them like a Chicago for example vs STL's couple of million. We are comparing that with 277,000 newspapers, plus daily internet of stltoday.com...where Miklasz also has an internet forum too, and a radio show.(He picked the station he wanted, choosing between several offers) It isn't in the same stratosphere...even if you went way lower on Post's figures and way higher on KFNS's #s. Now you are going to respond by saying most people do not read the sports section when buying it? lol. Take the second 7 and three zeros off to get a KFNS range or people.

And then you go on and on about age of people etc...avoiding the topic and backpeddaling....whenthe topic was and is Miklasz being the most powerful sports media figure in St. Louis...or maybe I should say the "Lou" to relate to you better. What you fail to understand...is that it is a big world out there outside of you and your buddies. For example, I know plentyof you ng people who listen to Jim Rome...I also know plenty of young people who prefer Tony Kornheiser and Dan Patrick to Jim Rome. That is where I think you go astray...you assume that every young person is like you. They aren't. The numbers say so. Young people and old people read and listen to Miklasz...they disagree, agree etc...but they know he is most powerful sports media figure in St. Louis.

You mentioned attracting younger fans to SLU games, and mentioned how I don't provide solutions...youare kidding me right...you MUST be new to this board. I have provided ideas for years on this board...most recently I provided examples of successful events and atmospheres at a handful of other similar schools...you must have been out watching Kevin Slaten getting into bar fights that day. I don't have anything against say the Morning Grind for example, and Marty Kilcoyne(I know he left the show) is close friends with a friend of mind, so we have been out a lot together in different cities, great guy. But that is not the question. The question was who wields the most sports media power in STL, and it is Miklasz. I have no problem with SLU being a topic of conversation on all of the shows on all of the stations. But that wasn't the question. I have ben a long advocate of SLU reaching out more to students(I do believe this starts with the head coach)...and young alums in 20's and 30's...and I post about it all the time. Where have you been? Doing Model shot gigs at Plaza Frontenac with Marty K.?

Rack me, I'm out.

See, that is funny. Don't have to yell and scream(Stephen A Smith) to get a point across, don't have to be vicious or use profanity to be funny(most comedians today).

Balance and Spacing, Balance and Spacing, just like hoops. What you have to keep in mind is there is a place for everyone at SLU games or anywhere else. You will be the blue hair one day, and their presence and pocket book are needed and welcomed and there is a place for them at games...just as there is a place for young alums, students, and parents with small children. Balance and spacing. I think someone posted SLU has 450 Blewcrew members...apologies if I have that number wrong...but that is a patheticly low number. They need something to get excited about, like a winning team playing attractive ball.

Who cares about Bernie?

Despite his so called "influence" in the market the second we win ball games he will write glowing stories about us. As long as we don't win he is down on the program and won't be around. He is not a supporter at all so just let it be.

His predictions for two upcoming games on tonights program were -

Mo State by 19 over SLU

North Carolina only by 12 because they will play scrubs the entire second half. Also Hansborough will score more points than the entire SLU team while he is on the floor and will have Vouyoukas on the bench 3 minutes into the ballgame.

He gives way more cred to Illinois, Missouri, and the Valley than he does SLU and always will.

I wonder if he would care to gamble on the Mo State game. Also if we are trailing UNC enough to have their bench in ... the starters would be back before it got to 12.

Bernie is clueless. I can't remember the last time he said anything that was even remotely right.

We ought to all just plaster his chat with rude, useless, BS. Tell him we can except mediocrity from our basketball team, but not from our sportswriters ... so he has to go.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.