Valient Effort

aj_arete

Point spreads from Vegas are not predictors - they represent the adjusted amount required to get bets on both sides of the game - that way the sports books get their vig - 11-10 - regardless of who wins. Lopsided betting in either direction always adjusts the spread.

but if Vegas believes half the people will bet on one side and half the people will bet on another the team that is favored to win according to Vegas should therefore be considred the "concensus" favorite to win the game. Thus, when I read somewhere today that Mizzou is favored to win by 4 tonight (saw that on the the Tigerboard) then that tells me that more people believe Mizzou should win than Syracuse. Hence, I would not call it an upset. To me an upset occurs when something "unexpected" happens.

Very perceptive!! Reggie loved Villanova, he wanted to attended since he was young. He was living his dream. When Jay Wright came along, The president and AD thought it would be a perfect situation for Reg and Jay Wright, but Jay had other plans and other players he wanted to bring to the team. After many meetings with Jay Wright, Reggie felt his time would be diminished and that Nova was no longer the place for him. He talked to the coach, AD and Pres. and disclosed his decision to leave. Alumni were shocked and upset, but they could see what was going on. Reg chose St Louis over other programs because it felt like a family and Coach was family oriented and a respectable man. He wanted to play for someone he could trust and count on. His visit here, meeting the players and staff, confirmed his decision. It was hard cause it was far from home, but he did it anyway. On paper Reg, was the sixth man (technical) but those who followed Nova knew he was the real heart of the team, thru turmoil amongst players he kept them together, hard times with the coach, he kept the team together, it wasn't shown in his points, because he was hurt for months.....but everyone who knew Nova basketball knew the circumstances. Many reporters etc...asked, what happened, they thought bad things happened, that Reg must have done something wrong, he let them speculate and never said a bad word about the coaches or the staff. He comes here and it was more speculation...gossip, but he's playing thru it, he's always had to prove himself, so I guess he's really doing it now.

I'm baffled they let him slip as well. It's their loss and St. Louis' gain. By the way, Reg's defense does need work. He was once a strong defensive and offensive threat. He's gonna get back into the rhythm, with Coach Soderberg helping him get stronger. He was so used to just pure offense because that was his role at Nova, that his defense deteriorated. But I think he'll be fine.

i agree. coach soderberg will make sure of it. but bad habits are hard to break. as long as he is scoring 25 a game, i can have some patience. :-)

brehms, i thought i remember you saying he played with carmelo anthony in aau ball in h.s. is that correct? if so, who else was on that team? didnt they win the aau national title?

I would take Reggie also ... though I think Claggs had more range as a shooter ... but I don't know if he was any better. Also Reggie has much more ability to get to the hole than Claggs and I don't think his defense is much different. I think Reggie is going to leave as the second best offensive player to play at SLU since I've been watching which is 1990.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Reg played with Carmelo on the Baltimore Select AAU team, the year they played they didn't win the National Chmp. He and Carmelo also played for local recs together. They share the same mentor and coach, Paul Bowden (now Ast. AD at Hampton Unv)and co-founder of Baltimore Select team. He has played with Juan Dixon in recs and high school, he played with Marcus Hattan, Carl Krauser, Derrick Snowden,Melvin Scott, Todd Galloway and more. Depending on where Reg was, he switched between Recs, he also played in Delaware and New York on some AAU teams, namely when he was in Connecticut. In High School Reg led the Calvert Hall team to finals, He helped St. Thomas More win New England Prep Championship, he and Caron Butler were Arch Rivals. Caron was at MCI then and of course it Continued when Caron went to UCONN and Reg was at Nova. Reg knows a lot of people, especially in college basketball, it comes from his extensive traveling for various basketball camps and tournaments.