Mizzou's Matt Lawrence

Nate Latsch

Missouri sophomore Matt Lawrence (Lafayette) made seven of 11 3-point attempts and scored 27 points in the Tigers' season opening win.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...B1?OpenDocument

Not bad for a kid who got little recruiting attention. I watched some of Mizzou's second exhibition game and Lawrence's jumper was amazing.

- Nate

Lawrence could roam because they had Kreinkamp to play pf and Bannister and Leitner and briefly Hawkins. DM played wing in AAU though and should've done it more on E'ville if they'd just played Terrence Williams more. Williams has a ton of division 1 offers. Anyone know if will Brad will offer. He's had a reputation for grabbing projects.

"had to go D1 on academic scholarship"

That isn't true. He could have gone to many quality D1 schools on a full athletic scholarship but was given the choice to attend a BCS school if he was willing to accept an academic scholarship of equal value. It was a win-win situtation for him and Mizzou.

But to act like Mizzou found a "diamond in the rough" that nobody else wanted just isn't right.

Lawrence didn't have to go to a Division I school on an academic scholarship. He chose to, but when other recruits didn't make it, he was rewarded with a scholarship before his freshman year.

As a junior at Lafayette, the Lancers had some big men who allowed Lawrence to play more away from the basket and I thought he had a good season. As a senior, after Paul Banister and Jared Kreienkamp graduated, Lawrence had to play more inside and I thought he didn't have as good of a season. (And point guard Landon Shipley had a great year.)

Dustin Maguire was never in a position in high school to really play away from the basket. When Maguire transferred to Edwardsville, it looked like he might get to play more on the perimeter, but it didn't really work out that way.

I saw Lawrence play a lot more in high school than I did Maguire. I think I first saw Lawrence play as an eighth grader on the Gators summer-league team. Lawrence improved a lot between his sophomore and junior seasons, and also got a couple inches taller.

If I had to choose between recruiting Lawrence or Maguire, I would have chosen Lawrence. I like Lawrence's shot more — Maguire has that kind of funky release — and Lawrence has a couple inches on Maguire. After his junior season, I said I didn't know if Lawrence would be a mid-major type D-1 player, but I was obviously wrong about that. Credit Quin Snyder for seeing something special in the kid — Quin told Lawrence he reminded him of himself — and taking a chance on him.

- Nate

I agree with just about everything you said but I'm not really sure what chance Quin was taking with Matt as his initial offer was for an academic scholarship. If he hadn't worked out its not like he would have lost one of his 13 (less during the probation years) athletic schollys.

I really like Matt, but he's just been held scoreless in the first half and Anderson had to pull him because he just wasnt effective because he couldnt get open. It did open the middle for Grimes though. Hopefully Maguire can have the same kind of impact for Ian, so the defense cant sag on him. Lawrence's size makes him an excellent post feeder. Though Dustin was the higher rated recruit,Matt appears to be the better player, but that maybe that Anderson brought him along while Quin didnt know what he was doing as far as player development. I'll wait til this time next year to guage whether Dustin can grow and adjust. Nice to see a lot of local guys at the local universities though. Both schools have multiple local starters who are doing well. Here's to Liddell, Lisch, Meyer, Grimes, and Lawrence averaging double figures. All are pretty safe bets except Luke.