Prediction: SLU to Sweet 16

kwyjibo

i sent an e-mail to collegehoopsupdate to ask who the writer of the above preview is and what his credentials are. I received the following reply from Rollin R. Heassler, of El Paso, Texas.

"I would be the writer, with the only qualifications of being a basketball fan and periodical writer for Scout.com and Rivals.com. My guess is you are interested to know why I ranked St. Louis so highly. My reasons are 1) teams with great backcourts and a solid frontcourt player are typically successful; 2) most players show their biggest leap in improvement between their freshman and sophomore seasons [Liddell & Lisch] and 3) every year there are teams who put it together and make unexpected runs and Saint Louis is that team for me.

Likewise, teams who are supposed to be the favorite, don’t end up winning (i.e. Xavier). I like Xavier with Lavender running the team now, UMass with their talent and depth and St. Louis because they have three stars and good role players who do the small things."

just thought i would pass that along.

Good of him to reply and I see his logic. But, there are plenty of teams that you could say if all these things go right they will do something extraordinary ... and he is right, there usually is a team that does something special. He picks Stl to be the one. I hope he is right.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Hey, you can't argue with the guy's logic. Good big man. TL and KL both improved. By the way one of the more impressive things I read this year, were KL's teammates on the AIA team voting KL the guy they'd most like to see on their college team. X is going to be difficult to knock off, but we did it twice last year with basically the same team. UMass, who knows how all those new transfers are going to meld into a team? Although, you've got to give Ford a lot of credit for getting those guys to Amherst. Wasn't one of them ACC rookie of the year out of VA? I do like his point about there always being a surprise or two in D-1 hoops. We were back in 93-94...why not again? I like our chances this year. The ingredients are there for a memorable season, now let's just do take care of business.

I'll sponsor you ... but you must take the official pledge.

Repeat out loud as you type the following.

I LOVE BRAD SODERBERG AND BELIEVE WITH ALL MY HEART THAT HE IS THE MAN TO COACH MY BELOVED SLU BILLIKENS TO THE FINAL FOUR. I PLEDGE TO SUPPORT COACH SODERBERG IN EVERYTHING HE DOES AND SAYS. I AGREE TO LOOK FOR THE POSITIVE IN ALL BILLIKEN RECRUITS, REGARDLESS OF WHEN THEY WERE SIGNED. I VOW TO ATTACK ANYONE WHO DARES TO WRITE ANYTHING NEGATIVE ON BILLIKENS.COM. I PROMISE TO LOVE THE BILLIKENS AND ALL THINGS BILLIKEN UNTIL THE DAY I DIE.

Official Sponser of Slu72's bid to join the Billiken Blue Kool Aid Club

Not at all. I've liked this year's team all along. It's whats in the pipeline that worries me? As I've said, I hope the class of DM, AK, HD come on like gangbusters and smear egg all over my face. Remember, I'm sitting down here in Dixie with a whole bunch of Sky Blue clad Tarheelers telling 'em we're going to surprise the hell out of 'em on 12/22. Remember what Jimmy Bob Ray Carvelle said about the '92 election, "it's the economy, stupid." Well, I guess I'm saying "it's the recruiting...." I'll leave out the stupid part, since I don't feel you, Skip, Rich, et al are stupid. Now, if UB somehow manages to blow this season, and believe me I do not want that to happen, we Bashers will be out in full force pulling our guillotine down West Pine. God forbid, he says, "I'm Coach Stability, let them eat cake!"

I'm sorry, but the best we can do with that is to take your application under consideration. I have to be honest though, I don't think that will fly.

Official Sponser of Slu72's bid to join the Billiken Blue Kool Aid Club