Basketball hotbeds

Sheltiedave

>Here is my entire post.

>

>"This has the potential to be a big problem.

>

>If AB gets the Vashon job I am wondering what his feelings

>are for his Alma Mater after we pretty much forgotten him.

>We better get Powells verbal soon or we can kiss another

>recruit good-bye.

>

>Let's hope AB doesn't fall into the SWIC Campo group."

>

>

>The key phrases in my post are potential,wondering and

>pretty much. Not really what one would consider definite

>accusational words. But if you feel they were that's fine

>too.

It really looks like you were grasping at straws to try to find a "potential" problem clearly doesn't exist.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where do you come up with this line:

If AB gets the Vashon job I am wondering what his feelings are for his Alma Mater after we pretty much forgotten him.

Seriously, you have no basis for it. AB has always had a strong relationship with SLU.

Just like in your post yesterday when you brought up Altman. I gave you a link showing you the Altman record at CU. It show that the beginning was in fact worse than Brad's beginning at SLU. You would have ran the same coach out of town that you were useing as an example of the type of coach you want.

You just get so much stuff wrong. You just throw stuff up against the wall and hope something will stick. It is ok to complain, but back it up with some facts.

i think it is hillarious you think the likes of tubby smith (pitino replacement), or bill self (williams replacement) would come to saint louis university before the building project would be complete. you need a brad soderberg that will build a program to a higher level first before a "shark" like such would consider coming to saint louis university.

rich there is no such source. i know for a fact that kevin would not have necessarily "come here anyway".

ian didnt even know who slu was. anthony beane's contact in greece called anthony beane and that is how they ended up getting together.

i cant comment on tommy liddell because i havent heard either way with tommie, maybe tdell or jalensdad could comment more on tommy and whether or not he was coming to slu when he was in 8th grade or not.

so your solution is to get a better assistant and low and behold we did this summer and still you are throwing stones. did you expect oj mayo to have verballed by now? is that what would have shut down your "fire brad now" campaign?

The staff received a tape from Ian and we were one of a few schools that showed interest him. The other schools were well below us I believe and that is how he chose the Billikens. I heard that he knew absolutely nothing about American college basketball, looks like Europe is the place for us to recruit.

As far as Kevin, I recall seeing an interview where he said that his main reason for choosing SLU was his desire to be near his family.

I know for a fact that Romar really really liked Tommie Liddell and saw him as the best prospect out his class (a class that included guys like Kalen Grimes, X Price, and Terry Evans).

Even the biggest Soderberg fans have to admit that it is a little disconcerting to be holding scholarships come spring. There is no way to say that this is acceptable.

Wow, 30 posts and no one comments on the main intent, ie where recruiting is best.

BTW, Hardball, this is my second post in a thread I started, ergo find someone else to accuse of using language at you.

Also, Romar is all about winning. He was the lead asst. and recruiter when UCLA won the NCAA, so he knows how to get it done far better than any of your cited sharks. When you continuously change the topic of discussion, normally it indicates you are failing to win the current discussion.

Just because Bonner isn't buying kids more than 20 years his junior drinks at Hump's doesn't mean he has issues with the program. Besides that is a violation of the NCAA rules. I also pretty sure his playing seasons in P.R. overlapped with with the Bills seasons. So it would be kind of hard for him to be around. Bonner continues to show up for tipp-off club events.

I have know idea what the relationship between Hughes and the school is. I know it was rocky for awhile. Heard it recently had a thawing.

I seem to remember discussing this article when it first came out. The talent in and around St Louis just doesn't really compare to many other markets as that article shows. It seems there are maybe 4-5 Div 1 players out of St Louis regularly and maybe a blue chip type player every couple of years or so.

SLU doesn't have enough of a national reputation to be able to nationally recruit at this point. The local kids have to be the main focus and then regional, etc. Looking at last years recruiting class, I think we signed two of the best players in the St Louis region in Maquire and Knollmeyer. For the people that are underwhelmed at our '06 class, you were probably very underwhelmed at the talent in high school in this area then as well. Since Lisch and Liddell had very good freshmen seasons, I think this has allowed Brad to expand his recruiting search to other markets. I hope that after another good season we will be able to be less dependent on the St Louis market for recruiting. Of course that '08 class is very promising and I hope Brad can keep those kids at home.

Hardball, Romar and Dollar admitted they made illegal contacts, and Romar was requested to fire Dollar. Romar told Hedges he would not fire Dollar, and fought to retain him, jepordizing his coaching position. In the end, Romar won his stand on principle, generated a solid record of recruiting from campus, and persevered.

As far as Pearl's recorded phone call with Deon Thomas, have you ever noticed the conversation took place after midnight? I'm sure you also didn't know it was one of more than ten phone calls initiated by Pearl on that date to Thomas. Pearl knows zero rules when recruiting, and his methods have not changed from the day when Iowa released him. Pearl is well on his way to making Huggins' Cincinatti police blotter for players look like a training manual.

I will accuse you of maximizing negative bias toward almost any post supporting the current program. You have well earned your moniker as a PHOG.

Dollar cheated.

Pearl committed felonious fraud.

Dollar took his one year punishment, and has done well. Pearl continues to deny, reframe, and redirect his acts. Ask Dr. Tom Davis about Pearl's character and deeds.

Is Pearl up to three or four players kicked off last year's team at this point? Great character, I tell you.

Why do you think he kicked the players off the team?

I wish all coaches had his guts to do the right thing.

Has Pearl ever been sanctioned by the NCAA like Dollar?

Yes or NO?

Again not looking for your opinions on "felonious fraud" just deal in the facts.

Simple question all you have to do is answer it.

ragin, we are not the only school that would have qualified to fulfille "near his family". his sister is in terre haute at indiana state. that is a lot closer than washington or uconn isnt it?

as to your assertion that slu rec'd a tape. they likely did after a request from anthony beane. ian didnt send out 350 tapes to every school in division one did he? the billikens knew the tape was coming and i see nothing wrong that the billikens wanted to see a tape before they hopped on a jet and headed to greece.

hughes has a billboard on highway 40 soliciting billiken season tix. doesnt seem like someone distancing themselves from the program would be doing billboards for the team.