SLU Soccer Disaster

Santa Clara 4 SLU 1 under a full moon in Santa Clara.

That was embarrassing and unacceptable. I'm sorry to give such a negative report, but that one was ugly.

Santa Clara led 4-0 before SLU scored late in the game. Scott Wisniewski, a freshman substitute from Dallas scored SLU's only goal. SLU looked like a bunch of little guys, lilliputians. Santa Clara had many freshman. A SLU player was given a red card.

This one was hard to understand, hard to believe. I think it was by far the worst SLU soccer game and biggest adverse drubbing I have ever seen.

games like this have been a pattern. SLU has played very inconsistently the last few years. I'm sure Santa Clara is good, but this loss negates what they did last weekend.

I have been a Donnigan supporter ... but another season in which we don't make the tourney (and I'm not sure what I think if we are 1 and done) ... imo it will be a time for a change. We have had some players leave early which hurt, but the last was 2 years ago.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

It appeared that SLU had trouble finishing. SLU would move the ball into SCU's zone, but then be unable to get a good shot on goal.

Santa Clara is ranked, but had at least 12 true freshman on its roster. The first Santa Clara goal was at the other end from where I was sitting and looked like some type of fluke, like a bouncing ball that somehow got behind everyone into the net.

I don't know if SCU is returning the visit next year, but I read that all SLU v. SCU games have been played on the West Coast, and it is time for that to change.

We are looking forward to seeing the Basketball Billikens play at Pacific (UOP) in Stockton on Dec. 12.

Losing at SCU is more acceptable than losing at home to an up and coming UIC program. The Broncos are a solid, good ranked club. The score is a problem. 4-1 is not acceptable.

Defeating UCONN 5-1 on neutral field is equivalent to SLU hoops defeating ranked opponent by 30 on neutral floor.

Tying 8th ranked Notre Dame on road was good result.

Too much up and down so far.

Need a couple of wins over #2 ranked SMU at home and top 15 Indiana at home the next two weeks....or at least a win and tie. No room to lose either game.

Conference once again is not strong(A-10) but SLU would be putting much pressure on self to win reg season AND conf tourney to get in. Very doable...but not guaranteed.

Two games so far this season SLU has not come out ready to play. With increased parity in D-1 soccer...yes folks everyone is good and every city has good soccer...as has been the case for a while now...

gotta come out flyin every night.

In both of SLU's losses they played half the game a man down, which is asking to lose. ...unless you are Normin Dale with 4, "My team's opn the floor."....and guess what they lost that one too.

Two MONSTER home games v Indiana and SMU....results will be expected. period. Unfortunately those two teams are top notch.

SMU is now ranked #1 in a few polls. I hope SLU can get up for that. Indiana will obviously be tough.

For the record your assessment of the A-10 is misleading. It is true the A-10 is still not a great conference, BUT Fordham and UMass are off to good starts and receiving votes in the polls (in fact the polls are ranking Fordham ahead of SLU currently). Duquesne and Rhode Island are still decent if depleted teams. Yes, St. Joe's is one of the worst teams in the country and there are other very weak teams but it will not be a cakewalk.

Soccer is plenty unpredictable and SLU needs to start winning to get a shot at an at large. I had hoped something was learned from last year.

UConn is not bad but not a ranked team (and should never have been).

Agreed that the score v. SCU was the biggest problem. I think SLU was down 2-0 when the red card was issued. SLU was down 4-0 when it finally scored near the end of the game. SCU had at least 12 freshmen on its roster, and some of them saw significant time. It seemed to me that the Billikens had the biggest trouble finishing in the SCU zone and getting good shots on goal. SLU seemed to control a lot of the midfield play. These West Coast teams seem to score quick, unexpected goals.

SLU's players looked very small to this observer, much shorter and lighter than the SLU players I remembered from the past. When I was at SLU, we had players like Ty Keough, Larry Hulcer, and Don Huber, who were Seniors when I was a freshman, followed by Steve Sullivan, Mark Fredrickson, Joe Filla, Bill McKeon, etc. I remember later being at a 3-2 playoff debacle out here at USF when Brian McBride starred for SLU. That game was supposed to be in St. Louis, but the NCAA would not allow it because SLU's field then had AstroTurf.

I would like to see SLU get to host Santa Clara for a change. Get the young Broncos off the West Coast for a game next year.

SLU did rebound Sunday to beat Navy at Santa Clara.

First before I get to B.A.B....the A-10 has some solid teams and play...but not much mroe than that. And, more importantly it is not a highly respected soccer conference with highly respected teams.

Also, we will see where UCONN finsihes this year.

B.A.B.As for SLU's size...no they don't have a lot of it this year, but that really does fluctuate year to year or every few years with SLU and other teams.

SLU lacks proven finishers, and need more out of creative midfield and hold midfield spots. They are good enough to play with anyone, but not good enough to consistently play at a high level....and when competing against top teams this will be apparent. This year's recruitig class is better than past few seasons. However it takes some time for players to adjust to the college game.

I am confident they will play IU and SMU very tough. Both home games in which SLU needs to draw or win.