Billiken Madness 2006 Grand Prize Announced!!

bluecrewprez

The free raffle grand prize for Billiken Madness 2006 was decided a few days ago by the BLUE CREW and The Office of Student Life. Last year, the prize was a trip to see SLU play UNC, a trip worth over $1000. Since our away games aren't that spectacular this year, we've decided to give away the ultimate college basketball experience: a 42" plasma screen TV, a lounge chair with speakers built into the head, and free pizza coupons from Papa John's (courtesy of Student Life). This prize is worth almost $2000 and is **ELIGIBLE ONLY TO CURRENTLY ENROLLED SLU STUDENTS**. How would you like to put that on the wall of your on-campus apartment?

Why don't we just skip all the nonsense and just haul it down to my apartment now? Just picture BRoy with that TV strapped on his back walking down campus. That'd be worth giving me the prize to watch him struggle I think...lol Great promotion though! I'm sure it will get some studnets in the stands for Billiken Madness

Your response is frustrating. It is fantastic that the students are building momentum for fan support from the dorms, etc. Hopefully, the momentum will increase as the team wins some games and when the new arena is built on campus the students will be mad because there are only 1000 seats set aside for them at the games! All I am saying is that for now it is more productive to be positive. These young people are doing some great things so let's not criticize them.

Pretty sensitive Billikan. He applauded the kids in his post and simply offered an idea that honestly has some merit. Probably not something the Blue Crew should have to do, at least not alone. The AD could run some promotional things to drum up interest, especially early in the year. Nice thought, footes.

"W's" drum up student interest....

The current set-up is tough for the casual student fan.

They have the choice of riding a yellow school bus to the game or paying through the teeth to park...

The Blue Crew will follow the Bills anywhere, but the casual student fan is only gonna come with the following:

1-Big name opponent (ie Arizona or Gonzaga)

2-Rivalry game (SIU, Xavier or Dayton)

3-We start winning big and get some local or national love...our crowds after the Louisville win a few ago were nice.

4-We build an on campus arena, where they can go at the last moment. With 1000 student capacity, they'll get turned away a few times and start to plan on going to the game, which will put the students there that want to be there.

BTW, the Blue Crew's energy is awesome...I hope they get 1000 members by the time the arena is built.

Blaming the athletic department for the students at the game is lame. Marquette didnt start drawing alot of students until Dwyane Wade started getting them "w's". Pre-Wade, the Bradley Center was pretty much like the Savvis. Now Marquette gets the big name opponents, the rivals and the national love listed above and the students have stayed.

As far as I am concerned, 500 loud voices are better than 2000 indifferent ones.

I know a few people who went to Marquette and they insist Marquette had better student support (not to mention bigger-name opponents) than SLU. This goes back way before Dwayne Wade. Marquette has a history of winning and has been able to draw games with Big 10 opponents as well as DePaul (before they were in the conference together) and ND.

Your attitude about SLU's athletic department is part of the general lethargy that keeps us mediocre. Why should they try? Come on, it's their job to put people in the seats. SLU marketing effort has been poor for years. When you combine that with a few clunker seasons you get what we have now.

When will somebody at SLU take responsibility for the athletic department?

But I do not remember the BLUE CREW having more interest in it than I have seen this year. Usually we can't keep our returning sophomores, but this year I've been hearing a lot of upperclassmen saying that they are joining (we'll know the final totals in about 2 weeks). I know it's not much, but buzz is buzz. In the long run, the one thing that gets SLU students to games is the same thing that gets St. Louisians to Rams games: if they're good, they will go....and this year we're gonna be good.

The AD can do as much work as they possibly can, but if the students aren't talking, then no one will go. You don't sit next to the Director of Marketing at games...you sit with other students...and if other students don't think it's worth going, why should they? I just think that this year is going to be a big one for student support for SLU basketball...let's just see how Billiken Madness goes first :)

I do agree that once the arena is built, 1000 student tix will cause them to have to think ahead at some point - might very well be a good thing if tix are hard to get for student fans and local fans. You are all right - if the team does not show improvement - steady improvent - it will all be for naught. Brad is happy to have the arena now but it really does place more pressure on him. Like they say - be careful what you wish for you might get.