Melo scores 35 as Team USA gets past Italy

VTIME

He scored 19 in the 3rd quarter after the team fell behind by a dozen points. He took over the game when someone absolutely had to. I have nothing, but respect for the guy who often gets no pub in the shadow of Lebron and Wade. In the postgame interview on NBATV coach K said Carmelo had been his best and most consistent player throught the FIBA World Championships. He attributed Anthony's bad rap to some minor off the court issues, that had nothing to do with his on court play.

It should definitely be one of the best ever, and is already the best in recent history, although 1998 was pretty solid with Olowakandi #1, then Bibby, LaFrentz, Jamison, Carter, Jason Williams, Larry Legend, Dirk, Paul Pierce, Bonzi Wells, Matt Harpring, Ricky Davis, Al Harrington, Rashard Lewis, Cuttino Mobely, Rafer Alston, and Ruben Patterson. Pretty loaded that year.

'96 was one of the best in my opinion: Kobe, Iverson, Marbury, Steve Nash, Ben Wallace (although not drafted - was rookie year), Stojakovic, Ray Allen, Antoine Walker, Camby, Shareff Abdur-Raheem, Kerry Kittles, Jermaine O'Neal, AMalik Rose,

I always thought 94 was the best year...a draft which included the great Billy Curley from BC, Dickie Simpkins, the greatest player to ever don a Providence Friar jersey, the formidable Fulbright Scholar Yinka Dare from GeeDubb, the "Haulin' Husker," Erik Piatkowski, Heisman Trophy winner Charlie Ward, who at this very moment is bagging groceries in Tallahassee, and who could ever forget Big Eric Montross??? I know I can't. What a class. #1 pick, Glen "Bigg Dogg" Robinson, who does more glass cleaning now that he is a janitor in West Lafayette, Indiana, than he did cleaning the glass as a rebounder.

He had played so little basketball before blowing up at Pacific- it was completely a pick based on potential- and injuries have kept him from really being a decent player in the NBA. He's an all right player, but yeah, a disappointment for #1.

Pacific, by the way, is an awesome program. I'm happy to have them on the schedule this year, and that should be a nice trip for us.

>That draft class could go down as one of the best ever with

>guys like Lebron, Melo, DWade, Bosh, and Hinrich.

Kaman, Ford, David West, Mike Sweetney are pretty good players, especially West. They had some pretty good 2nd rd picks like Steve Blake, ZaZa Pachulia, James Jones, Mo Williams, Matt Bonner, Luke Walton, and Kyle Korver.