Doctor B

The other thread is locked....as I am sure this one will be too soon....but Dr. B said getting rid of Bruce Arena was like putting a bandage on a cancer patient. I thought it was worth discussing for a moment.

U.S. soccer has come a long way the past few decades. It isn't going to be a snap of the fingers process. Part of their result this SC was do in part to who they played, how they played and how they strategized. Everyone is so quick to panic. It is laughable.

As far as interest goes...the average American not exposed to the highest levels of soccer at any age, isn't going to follow a sport unless the United States is one of the best at it in the World. Baseball, Basketball, American Football.....only one of which is played in other countries with any depth or talent. Combine that with the common desire for the average American sports fan for instant gratification. And soccer is about the process.

Many Americans "get it"....many others don't....easily the highest numbers of the former than ever before in this country. Very encouraging to me.

Baby steps Doctor B. I wouldn't exactly call the U.S. team a cancer patient...terminology in general I am not comfortable using....but playing along for your analogy, I disagree. If your point was overall passion of fans and fan interest in relative to U.S. country population...I wouldn't debate that too harshly. If your point is ability and level of play....then I would disagree greatly.

The U.S. is trying to get to the next level....get into that top 10-15 and stay there, as far as world soccer countries go....I don't think anybody expects anything more than that in your lifetime. That isn't going to happen in those other places either.

oh and for what it is worth....I was in a jam packed bar of S Koreans for the S Korea Swiss game....not a lot of folks left pleased, except for the two Swiss guys. ... sticking it out til the end. Nothing like being in Holland, England, Germany when their teams are still going on....but enjoyable nonetheless.

Good post courtside.

Loved the picture in today's post of the Korean fan, standing in the street, all alone with his shirt and pants off to protest the refs in the game SKorea lost. Great passion.

Watched the game today between Mexico and Argentina...just glued to the tv til the last goal. After seeing that match, the foul on the US in the box that led to the PK that lost the game for us was a travesty. Mexico and Argentina were outright slugging each other, and nothing was called. There were takedowns and hard tackles right and left without a whistle.

One of the frustrations with Joe six pack US fan was the FIFA ranking of 5 for us, which led to unrealistic expectations for a repeat performance of 2002. The amazing thing is that the Czech side didn't advance, either, and they are the number 2 ranked side in the computer rankings...go figure.

mhg

We aren't top 5 ... but we aren't 30th either. We are better than some teams that advanced, as are some other teams that didn't. That is one of the things about the WC ... the luck of the draw. We got unlucky ... maybe next time. Look at some other countries that didn't advance or even make it to the tourney. Take a look back at teams that didn't advance every year. We got to the round of 16 in 94, then had a really bad tourney in 98 ... to the round of 8 in 2002 and this tourney we played well at times and poorly others. In some groups we would have gotten through easily ... just not in the group we were in. That and some really tough calls and some poor finishing and we are at home.

In 2 years they will start it all over again ... I can't wait.

Soccer in the U.S. is fine and will continue to grow.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman and loyal subject of Billsboy and all ex D1 players and coaches everywhere. You da man Billsboy

I wish I could remember where I read the article recently....but basically the article was discussing the youth soccer participation in the mid 1970's as 100k or so in U.S. and not it is a few million....huge strides.

The NY times did a piece on Brazil this past weekend, and it is also available online.

It has taken awhile but the tall, big strong, athletic players are playing soccer instead of some of the other traditional American sports, and in addition to them. And more is needed. Exposing the game more in inner cities to all ethnicities helps, but isn't the only answer.

As I have said before, many Americans have the need for instant gratification....and ...if the U.S. isn't the best or one of the best at something, they tune it out.

There would be plenty of people on the band wagon if the U.S. could sustain some high level international results.

Soccer is about the process, the strategy, the build up, and in other countries, it is an event, a culture, a way of life. In the U.S. it is merely another sport among many. Today's U.S. sports culture is win now...high costs etc...players coming and going...fans have revolted and have vented their frustrations. So...getting some of those to to get what soccer is all about, is pretty challenging.