Report on informal workouts

bauman

After watching a couple of workouts I thought I'd post a short report, especially for you out of town folks.

I was very pleased with out JUCO center recruit-much more athletic than I expected.

The Greek recruit was not intimidated as a freshman in a new country-he was willing to mix it up and should help this year although I wouldn't look for him to be an impact player as a freshman.

The 7'1" freshman was a pleasant surprise-he moves much better than I had heard and while on the thin side, he would not be described as skinny. He had decent skills and could contribute this year if he had to although a redshirt would probably help.

Darren Clarke was a big surprise-much better than I hoped-appears to be an excellent shooter and decent ballhandler-should really help this year.

JJ has added some pounds but did not stand out-may be ok but not ready to be a star.

AD looks really good and works harder than anyone else-his shot looks to be as good as at the end of last year if not better-he will get lots of minutes.

Reggie looks like a good replacement for Perry's points-he can really score.

Izak looks stronger and a bit more aggressive-still not strong enough to rebound against a big body.

CS looks ready to have a very good final year-his shooting continues to look good like last year.

Ross V looked better and should be able to play 10 minutes a game and give us something (I didn' say a lot, I said something)

JF looks much the same as last year-played the point and took very few shots when I was there.

Sorry if I forgot anyone but these are my quick impressions.

Just a thought on Bauman's report. Would assume these workouts are like playground affairs to a degree. I watched a program on international bb and how disciplined players are. They are drilled over and over in the fundamentals and the importance of playing as a unit. Kind of "old fashioned" hoops. Baumann, do you think maybe our young Greek feels a little out of place in a "pick up" atmosphere, and we might see more from him in a more disciplined formal environment?

This is a very encouraging report. If our two new big fellows can hold their own at this point that will bode very well for the future. If Clarke is an excellent player who can contribute he will be a nice upgrade over Diener. If our juco center can replace KB that would be terrific. With Fish and Sloan anchoring a very tough defense we could have a nice season and with Brad on the recruiting trail we could have a very very nice team in 2 or 3 years. Thanks for the report.