Any Thoughts On The Isiah Firing

aj_arete

As a huge Pacer and Isiah fan, I'm very disappointed in Larry Bird's decision to ax Isiah. I can't say I'm very surprised, since I knew there was some bad blood between them. In particular, Larry Bird was initially outspoken in criticizing Donnie Walsh's decision to hire Isiah over his good friend, Rick Carlisle.

While one can question some of Isiah's game decisions, I think he's got a remarkable eye for basketball talent. In particular, the drafting of Damon Stoudamire at Toronto and plucking Jermaine O'Neal from Portland purgatory stand out to me. I really thought this was a team on the rise with all the ingredients to make a serious run at the East title next year. I don't think people realize the enormity of rebuilding an aging, talented team that advanced to the East finals under Bird. I thought Isiah did an excellent job reshaping that team. With a little experience, I think Isiah could have taken them to that next step. But that obviously won't be happening.

Oh well, Rick Carlisle will be stepping into an ideal situation. We'll see if he'll have the patience and temperament to deal with this highly talented, young team.

I do not know much about the NBA. However, I never thought that Isiah was the right choice for head coach. He may have an eye for talent or a talent for listening to the right people that have an eye for talent I'm not sure. Listening to him speak I never thought that he was intelligent enough. He always struck me as someone who is just not that smart. I don't think just because you were a great basketball player that you can be a great coach.

Don't know if Isaih is mensa material but in a battle of brains with his peers I think he would do quite well.

The Pacers have a ton of talent, but they also have a ton of headcases. Isaiah may have had a good eye for talent but he had problems developing it, specifically with the production of Bender, Harrington, and Tinsley. IMO the real problem with the Pacers is the huge contract they gave dud Austin Croshere. Still 4 years and 40 million left on that baby. Brad Miller would still be in a Pacer uniform if not for that. This upcoming season the Pacers should finish first or second in the East, but will lose to Detroit or NJ. 2 or 3 years from now if the team can stay together they have a good shot at a title. Alot of ?s though. Artest is my favorite player in the league but he has to get under control, or he wil be gone and that will not bode well for him or the Pacers.

I'll take Carlisle over Thomas any day on coaching ability. However, to say that Carlisle needs to improve his people skills would be an understatement. It will be interesting to see how he and guys like Artest and O'Neal get along (or don't get along).

Prima donnas coaching and gm-ing prima donnas. Haven't seen a game in maybe 10 years. Who cares .............. I'm sure the money he made in three years will be more than I can even dream of. Poor, poor, poor Isiah .......