Another conference story

BLIKNS

Just giving ya a little shat! I'd love for SLU to come back to the MVC .... I don't blame you for not wanting to because of where you've been and your market size. The talk we hear on leagues shifting is that SLU may have to choose between the Horizon or the MVC ... don't know the validity of that. We also hear that the MVC is in talks about Western Kentucky and Butler maybe joining the MVC. Don't know how old any of you are but back in the day SLU had some great rivalry in the MVC. As for Drake ... your correct! We have sucked for 15+ years in basketball .... hopefully the school has made a committment to success with the hiring of Dr Tom ... we shall see. We all know how successful he been in the past. And yes we are excited! I'm really just messing with you because someone posted on our board how you all were dissing the Valley. I wish SLU nothing but good things and hope all works out ok fine in Billikenland!

PS- Why won't SLU schedule Southern Illinois? Afraid? or Bradley or Drake even? Why? I've looked at some of the cupcakes SLU has scheduled in pre conf ..... if the MVC is so below you ... why not serve us up as dessert?

Heh, heh! We can take it, but we can also dish it out!

I understand that you, as a fan of a Missouri Valley Conference school, would defend the conference. But we SLU fans are not dissing the MVC; we just don't want SLU to have to go back there because it would really bring down the program. Come on, you know that that would be the case if it happened.

Regarding your question about SLU's scheduling Southern Illinois, you make it sound like SLU has been "ducking" SIU for 15 years rather than playing them every year for 15 years. SLU has been playing SIU and SMS from the Valley for as long as I've been following college basketball (15 years plus). This coming season will be the first time SLU hasn't played Southern Illinois in a while. The speculation is that the series is taking one year off so that SLU won't have to have road games against BOTH Southern Illinois and SMS in the same season. It used to be home for one and away for the other, but then the Las Vegas Invitational messed up the cycle in 2001 by throwing in an extra home game for SLU and pushing the CONTRACTED home game with SIU to last year. I'm pretty confident that next year SLU will go to Carbondale and host SMS.

Now, after playing two non-conference games against Valley schools, you want SLU to add a third in Drake or Bradley? I don't think most schools like to play more than one or two non-conference games against teams from one conference. They like to mix it up. Then you have to cosider that any Valley school is going to want to schedule a reciprocal home series with SLU. Well if SLU is going to "lose" a home date, then they want the reward to be having a prominent team from a Top 6 conference, like Arizona or Georgia Tech, bringing big crowds and possible regional or national television exposure to their home arena.

Fellow Billikens: Please don't respond to the imbeciles who insist SLU belongs in the MVC...they only say that to rile Billiken Nation and when you respond you're just giving them satisfaction...and guess what? NOTHING is going to happen in the way of further conference re-alignment ANYWAY...so all of the 'fantasy league geeks' can put their ridiculous conspiracy theories and 'new-look Big East' breakdowns TO REST...Cincy and Louisville aren't going ANYWHERE...Biondi is not negotiating a home-and-home with Illinois State....let's all get a life and move on to another off-season topic with ACTUAL IMPLICATIONS...

>Fellow Billikens: Please don't respond to the imbeciles who

>insist SLU belongs in the MVC...they only say that to rile

>Billiken Nation and when you respond you're just giving them

>satisfaction...and guess what? NOTHING is going to happen in

>the way of further conference re-alignment ANYWAY...so all

>of the 'fantasy league geeks' can put their ridiculous

>conspiracy theories and 'new-look Big East' breakdowns TO

>REST...Cincy and Louisville aren't going ANYWHERE...Biondi

>is not negotiating a home-and-home with Illinois

>State....let's all get a life and move on to another

>off-season topic with ACTUAL IMPLICATIONS...

Hey poochy ... do you figure I ask to much ... or do you figure your ask too much? LOL!

What Missouri a definite western state.....sorry being from California the Northern and better half of the state, Missouri is NOT a western state. St. Louis is more similar to eastern cities than western....but it is a moot point.

Thicks I think your main point regarding geographic integrity is right on. It does not exist, and it does not need to exist anymore. In Fact, geography is why conferences initially developed, but money is why they are realigning, and this sportwriter ought to realize that, if he is worth his paycheck.

There WILL be more realignment...the Big East is not going to stand pat...the question is how bad are CUSA and the Atlantic 10 going to get drilled.

You make a big assumption that moving to the Valley would be a "huge step down". If we're talking about no other changes occuring, I'd agree. However, that's probably not what the situation is going to be...once CUSA has been decapitated, there exists a good chance that the Valley will move up in conference "rankings" (possibly past CUSA) especially if we decide to add two strong teams.

Also remember that CUSA has been averaging 3.2 teams in the tourney over the last five years...the Valley has averaged 2.2 teams during that time and did it with four fewer teams in the conference. Throw in two from Butler/WKU/SLU and what would happen? Just food for thought.

Oh, I'm a fellow Jesuit grad from Creighton...I'm sure the vast majority of Bluejays would love to renew the rivaly with SLU. Especially since we lead the series 22-11 ;)

Good Luck this year!!

Nothing is going to happen...THERE WILL BE NO MORE RE-ALIGNMENT FOR AT LEAST THREE YEARS...ratchet down the rhetoric...to those who are so sure there will be---what are you basing that on? Bernie Miklasz? Third rate columnists in Cincy? WAKE UP...yes, it's fun to throw around St. Joseph's with Holy Cross and Xavier with Marquette---but get a reality check!!! None of this is happening...you're better off wasting your energy debating whether or not we actually landed on the moon...IT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN....DEAL...

I respectfully disagree. It sounds like you're engaging in wishful thinking to me.

Look, football drives the NCAA bus. The Big East is down to six football teams. That's enough to qualify for a conference for now, but the NCAA is considering changing that number to eight. Furthermore, the BCS contract is up after either this football season or next fooball season (the 2004-05 year). The football schools in the Big East want to put themselves in the strongest possible position to make sure they're not left out of the BCS picture in the future.

Mark it down: the Big East WILL add at least two football schools, and the most likely candidates are Cincinnati and Louisville. The thing that makes this interesting is that the football schools and non-football schools in the Big East MIGHT decide it's in their best interests to split. If so, for the sake of all sports, the Big East football schools would merge with some C-USA football schools and the Big East non-football schools would join with the C-USA non-football schools. And even though the changes wouldn't take place until 2005-06 (two years from now), the announcements would be made sooner for the sake of the BCS negotiations and television contracts negotiations.