Keys to Success Going Forward

davidnark

1. Izik, JJ, and/or Ian is going to have to step up and give us quality minutes off the bench at the center and power forward positions. Varner has shown that he cannot effectively compete at this level, so someone else must step up.

2. TF is going to have to limit his fouls. He has proven that he is a beast on the boards, a respectable defender, and a good offensive post player, but he isn't very productive when he spends 25 minutes per game on the bench. We need 30+ minutes per game from TF going forward.

3. Drejaj is going to find his shot or else Darren Clarke is going to have to learn the system real fast. Has anyone noticed that teams are beginning to lag off Drejaj and clog up the middle? This hurts our post game, offensive motion, and outside game. We cannot afford to have no outside game from the three spot. Perhaps the best solution will be to split time between Darren and Drejaj. Drejaj shoots better when he has his legs, and Darren was recruited to be a scorer.

4. Chris Sloan and Josh Fisher are going to have to find ways to score. These two are supposed to be our key veterens, but offensively they have shown little ability to take charge when we need a basket. The stretch of the SMS game during which Reggie was on the bench was deplorable offensively.

I believe jump starting Chris Sloan will have the biggest impact of the keys you listed.

Chris had only 1 rebound, 2 FG attempts and 2 pts in 25 minutes against SMS. I know Sloan's wrist/hand was a recent problem, but if his production doesn't return to the double-double area, it may not matter how much the current reserves increase their contribution.

I agree with every point you make. I really wish Chris would start to score a little more. He appears to have a decent shot, but he rarely takes it. I would love it if he could score down low from time to time. His offensive game is the same way it's been the past 3 yrs. He's a senior now and we NEED senior production out of him.

While I agree with the obvious need for inside production, I think Drejaj's lack of production this year may be the biggest problem. If he were hitting even half of the outside shots he is missing, it would open up many more low post opportunities. Where is his shot???

Box and Won mentioned this in another post, but I think we are really missing Brandon Morris. We would be a much better team if Fisher was playing the three and we had a true point guard at the one.

if drejaj wasnt playing monster defense every nite i would agree. but he gives us so much on defense that i say let him work through his shooting woes.

We need the following lineup to be the best team we can be

1 - JF ... no complaints ...plays to the best of his ability every night

2 - RB ... must be on the floor 32 -36 mins per game for us to be successful

3 - IO ... needs to pull up more which in turn will open up his drive, must finish stronger at the basket

4. CS/JJ ... I would love to see JJ do the things neccessary to start ... which would be tough inside D. and demonstrating the ability to receive the ball down low and score.

5. TF ... Must stay out of foul trouble to play 30 mins per game. He has demonstrated he has the skills to get it done when on the floor.

Reserves

CS ... at the 3 or the 4 depending on need .... we need 25 minutes pg of the super intense CS of late last year early this year

AD ... at the 1 or the 2 depending on need ... he must find his shot and take the ball to the basket more.

IV ... fill in at the 5 rebound and score inside

DC ... at the 2 play consistent D and hit the open looks

RV ... at the 4 or 5 ... hustle, rebound play D as hard as he can and hit the open 3

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman