Today Frank Cusumano on KFNS....

mentioned that there was to be a press conference on Friday regarding Tommie Liddell, and SLU was very hopeful for thier position there.

Also, he analyzed the A 10 conference regarding its basketball stature and concluded that it was indeed better for the Billikens than the MVC. One new spin he mentioned, though, was that the A 10 probably would not be the Bills final resting place. He figured that being in the A 10, when the next permutation or combination of college athletcs comes (5-10-15 years from now) the Bills would be in a much better postion to be in a power bball conference being in the A 10 now, than in the MVC now. Had not heard that 'resting place' theory before.

Tiger Tim anounced that our Nate had emailed him the Bills arena web site. Heard the Rammer sound bite intro on the radio as he opened the web site. Kind of cool. Good move, Nate.

the way i have heard it from well placed sources in our athletic department, the theory is that the big east is going to be set up for failure. when it breaks apart with the impending basketball vs football mentality, the basketball end of things will come to a final meeting of that all hoped for papal conference with appropriate east/west divisions.

imo, the notre dame situation with the acc could accelerate that quickly though. if notre dame is out of the current big east picture where they are now considered only a basketball school, the football schools immediately take control of the majority of the conference votes. who knows, maybe they no longer want depaul and marquette. maybe they no longer want ALL of the basketball only schools.

what i wonder, if notre dame is so hell bent on being a football independent, why dont they start their own papal conference for basketball. i would bet the dog and the farm that if notre dame called their best 11 papal friends, the conference would be a done deal tomorrow. seems to me that notre dame then gets the best of both worlds. not having to share bcs football money with any other schools, and creating their own top basketball conference that would probably rival all the existing basketball conferences in total balance and depth.

Roy you are absolutely right-what are they thinking toying w/ the ACC for football. They don't need anyone for football what with their own TV contract and no need to share/split Bowl $$. I agree that all they need is a conf. for non-football sports and if they called the following schools they would be in a better conf., at least from a travel standpoint.

Marq., Depaul, SLU, Xav., Dayton, Temple, St. Joe, Nova, St. Johns, Seton Hall and Charlotte. Add ND to this list and you have a great BB and other sports conf. Georgetown actually might be better than one of the above. I can't imagine any of these schools turning ND down on a power con. like this.

ND to the ACC is dead. ND stands to lose too much NBC money. ND has too much clout in the east coast and too much of an alum (and subway alum) base there to leave. Also, the Big East has called an emergency meeting to accellerate expansion and talk is that they would up the departure fee from $1 million to $10 million, keeping BC there.

As for the Big East being set up for failure - not quite. Even if it does split you have an 8 team hoops conference of Marquette, DePaul, Villanova, SJU, G-town, Providence, Seton Hall and ND which might add a ninth IF a split happens.

the only scenario that would play out is that the tv money is soon to be turned off and the bcs inclusion soon to be cut off unless they do join a conference. but my guess is that there are so many n.d. fans nationwide that it wouldnt matter how bad they were they would still have their tv deal.

first to respond to billiken law, i am just passing on what was told to me by better sources. very good sources.

kim tucci was on ramsey and clayborne today. he leaned on them a little bit about their mvc thoughts. clayborne was very quiet and ramsey seemed to agree with anything kim through out there.

kim pointed out to them that the a-10 has had almost 3x the ncaa bids over the recent years (he said the years, but i was driving thus didnt write it down) that the mvc has had. plus, since the conference is such a much higher rated conference, even the 4th or 5th team in the tourney for the a-10 might get a higher seed in the ncaa then the one or two teams that the mvc would send each year. thus rationalizing why it wont be beneficial to be a big fish in a smaller pond.

i love kim tucci. this guy is such a great voice for billiken land and a great friend of the program.

anyway, he too rationalized that there will probably be two rounds of conference shuffling and aluded to the big east cluster being a temp solution and that possibly the billikens end up moving again in 5-6 years.

judging by how quiet bob ramsey was today on his show with kim tucci today, i am guessing he too was included in a discussion with some billiken official.

ramsey announced that burwell will be on kfns at 5 pm today as well. maybe someone can pay attention and report to the board if he recants or gives any new info. i would, but i am off to watch nationally ranked althoff catholic high's power volleyball team vs always dangerous belleville west at the new belleville west gym.

I hesitate to bring this up but why is the so called papal conference so important to some of you? Whether a school is catholic or not is not the issue but rather if it plays good basketball and has a quality educational program to offer. Just becuase a school is catholic does not make it cheat proof or rule bending proof - look at St. Bonnie. Also, does anyone really have a high opinion of ND given how they have jerked everyone around regarding conferences and not willing to play other catholic schools when asked? After all, if memory serves me right, ND started all this football nonsense when they inked their own deal years ago. I understand that the most of the basketball only schools in major cities are catholic but not exclusively. I also worry if the conference is catholic only will it give an elitist air and could other schools be put off by it and not be willing to schedule games? What would non-catholic recruits think about what appears to be a clique? These are just some thoughts that have crossed my mind when I have read what some have said about the topic.

i think the thing that makes the all private conference so attractive to slu is the same demographic makeup, the same philosophical beliefs and the same academic standards. thus, all the schools in the conference are competing on most angles equally.

Just some interesting info Notre Dame took its curriculum from St Loui University. Don't blame them for getting a tv contract for football, we had as much tradition and history as there football prgram and nbc, abc, or fox offered to televise all our home games in basketball slu would probably jump at that.