Possible Transfer

I heard this morning Gabe Dearmond on Bernie's show say that Matt Lawrence who played at Lafayette will no longer be a part of the BB program at Missouri. Not sure why but he was a very good 3 pt shooter in h.s. He is kind of in the LS mold. From what I remember, Matt was not on a schollie his first year to help Quinn out - Matt was apparently a very good student and had other options for paying for school. I am not sure if he was on a schollie this year or not. If he was not, then he could transfer directly in to a school without sitting out - I think?

Matt Lawrence did have a basketball scholarship for this past year, his freshman year, at Missouri.

He could be a good fit at SLU. He'd have to sit for a year, but he's a good perimeter shooter with size. Kind of like a taller Dustin Maguire with a nicer-looking shot.

Depending on what SLU's other options are, I would think the Billikens would be interested.

But if you bring in Lawrence, when he is eligible as a sophomore he'll be competing for playing time at the 2-3 with Maguire (who will be a sophomore or a redshirt freshman), Luke Meyer (who will be a senior), Danny Brown (senior), Kevin Lisch (junior), Tommie Liddell (junior) and whoever the Bills bring in next year.

- Nate

>Matt Lawrence did have a basketball scholarship for this

>past year, his freshman year, at Missouri.

>

>He could be a good fit at SLU. He'd have to sit for a year,

>but he's a good perimeter shooter with size. Kind of like a

>taller Dustin Maguire with a nicer-looking shot.

>

>Depending on what SLU's other options are, I would think the

>Billikens would be interested.

>

>But if you bring in Lawrence, when he is eligible as a

>sophomore he'll be competing for playing time at the 2-3

>with Maguire (who will be a sophomore or a redshirt

>freshman), Luke Meyer (who will be a senior), Danny Brown

>(senior), Kevin Lisch (junior), Tommie Liddell (junior) and

>whoever the Bills bring in next year.

>

>- Nate

Nate, I agree Matt Lawrence is a nice player and a very good shooter, but I disagree that his shot is any "nicer-looking" than Dustin Maguire's shot. Maguire is about as fundamentally sound of a shooter as it comes. Shooting is the one thing I do not think anyone will be able to fault Dustin with.

That said, Matt Lawrence would be awesome on the Billiken Roster as he does a lot of other stuff "nicer" than Maguire does for now.

>Matt Lawrence did have a basketball scholarship for this

>past year, his freshman year, at Missouri.

>

>He could be a good fit at SLU. He'd have to sit for a year,

>but he's a good perimeter shooter with size. Kind of like a

>taller Dustin Maguire with a nicer-looking shot.

>

>Depending on what SLU's other options are, I would think the

>Billikens would be interested.

>

>But if you bring in Lawrence, when he is eligible as a

>sophomore he'll be competing for playing time at the 2-3

>with Maguire (who will be a sophomore or a redshirt

>freshman), Luke Meyer (who will be a senior), Danny Brown

>(senior), Kevin Lisch (junior), Tommie Liddell (junior) and

>whoever the Bills bring in next year.

>

>- Nate

Matt Lawrence got a schollie because Deandre Thomas didn't qualify

Matt would be a great pick-up and a nice recovery from the LS fiasco.

He is extremely smart player and appears to have put on some good weight which should help in the long run. And not that it is that important but he can shoot the ball. If BS is interested in that kind of thing.

The only drawback I could see would be the scholarship offerirg may contradict his promise to DM.

Put me in the "let's get him if available" camp. If we were going to take LS and play him at the 4, I don't see the issue of offering Lawrence vis a vie DM. Lawrence and Stemler are essentially the same stature.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=27145

Lawrence of Arabia needs to put on some weight so a year of ineligibility would be a plus. If UB said he'd play LS at the 4, then after pumping up Lawrence for a year, I'm sure he'd do the same. If one of our goals is to get more shooters on the floor, getting a guy like Lawrence would be a big plus in my book.

>I heard this morning Gabe Dearmond on Bernie's show say that

>Matt Lawrence who played at Lafayette will no longer be a

>part of the BB program at Missouri.

I just got off the phone with Gabe. He said as far as he knows Matt Lawrence is sticking around to play at Missouri and he hasn't heard anything about a possible transfer.

So this must have been about Keon Lawrence.

- Nate

>>I heard this morning Gabe Dearmond on Bernie's show say that

>>Matt Lawrence who played at Lafayette will no longer be a

>>part of the BB program at Missouri.

>

>I just got off the phone with Gabe. He said as far as he

>knows Matt Lawrence is sticking around to play at Missouri

>and he hasn't heard anything about a possible transfer.

>

>So this must have been about Keon Lawrence.

>

>- Nate

I don't know, Keon Lawrence said he'd honor his LOI when Watkins was retained.

http://missouri.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=537237

from some of the Philly papers and what not that say he is thinking about going elsewhere, like Villanova or Rutgers. There has also been talk that he may go the prep-school route and then would be a recruitable player again. He is certainly not a done deal for the Tigers.

>I heard this morning Gabe Dearmond on Bernie's show say that

>Matt Lawrence who played at Lafayette will no longer be a

>part of the BB program at Missouri. Not sure why but he was

>a very good 3 pt shooter in h.s. He is kind of in the LS

>mold. From what I remember, Matt was not on a schollie his

>first year to help Quinn out - Matt was apparently a very

>good student and had other options for paying for school. I

>am not sure if he was on a schollie this year or not. If he

>was not, then he could transfer directly in to a school

>without sitting out - I think?

Speaking of Mizzou,

Here's the news release sent to me by the coaching staff at Mineral Area.

Butterfield makes Decision:

Mineral Area College forward inks to play

at the University of Missouri next season

(5/12/06) Mineral Area College Sports Information Department

Darryl Butterfield has had a winding journey since graduating from Carol High School in Miami, Florida. He has had two junior college stops, and has played the waiting game in his recruiting during his sophomore season at Mineral Area College. Butterfield made several visits and fielded several offers this spring, but was waiting for the right one to come along. This week, that winding road has found a destination, and that destination is in the high-major Big XII Conference at the University of Missouri.

Darryl will follow a similar path that Mineral Area Head Coach Corey Tate followed in his playing career, a solid season in a MAC Cardinal uniform, followed by a DI career in a Tigers uniform at the University of Missouri. But, instead of playing for the legendary MU Head Coach Norm Stewart, Butterfield will play in the “Fastest 40 Minutes†of new Mizzou front-man Mike Anderson.

Darryl Butterfield will bring a combination of strength, athleticism, and

skill to the forward position at Mizzou. He is a rugged athlete, standing

a hair over 6'7" and weighing in at 225 pounds. Butterfield earned NJCAA

All-Region XVI honors in his only season at Mineral Area College,

averaging 8.2 points, 4.9 rebounds, and 1.2 assists a game as a sophomore.

Butterfield played in a similar style at Mineral Area College that played a pressing, up-tempo system, going 12 deep in the rotation. “I really liked the system at Missouri, it is a lot like what I played in at MAC. I’m comfortable playing that style, and I feel I can excel in that system,†commented Butterfield. Darryl helped lead Mineral Area College to a 28-5 season, a Region XVI Championship, a MCCAC Conference Championship, and the #13 slot in the Final NJCAA National Poll in 2006.

Darryl decided on the University of Missouri on after considering University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee, Austin-Peay, and a variety of other colleges. Butterfield is the third post player from Mineral Area to sign NCAA DI this season, with Curtis Muse and Johnathan Jackson heading to the University of North Texas