Twellman off WC roster

Looks like Brian Ching is on in his place.

Link to the roster

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_280933.html

Any thoughts.

I'd have Twellman not Ching other than that I can't complain. I really like our depth in the midfield and our size in the back. The one thing that scares me is no real speed back there. I believe that will prove to cost us at least one goal maybe more.

I would start McBride and Johnson up front but am afraid it might be Brian and Wolff, which I guess I am ok with.

With all the depth at midfield ... I'd have to think a little about McBride and Landon up front ... which imo helps us get our best players on the field.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

I would have picked ching. In the LIMITED action he played, i was actually quite impressed. I think both he and Twellman are of the McBride mold, but i think ching is a bit better in the air (mostly because of his size) and i was impressed with his touch.

It seemed wolff did everything right in the past few games, except finish. I think he adds a different dimension, but doubt that he sees the field more than 15 min. a game.

I would start landon and mcbride up front. I agree with you, i really like our midfield depth (fingers crossed that o'brien gets fit).

The back 4 will be a bit slow, but i like its makeup more than the last WC.

The John O'Brien selection baffles me. I know of his past and such, but I think Bruce could have probably found a better selection considering the current situation.

But then again, Bruce might be pulling a Sven-Goran Erikson, and keeping O'Brien on the roster so that he would be fit by the first match, a la David Beckham in the 2002 World Cup (and something that will probably be done with Wayne Rooney as well).

Also, I know Twellman is a St. Louisian and all, but I really like Brian Ching. I think his game complements McBride a lot more, and now we have (to borrow from basketball) two POWER FORWARDS in the box on the attack. And with Eddie Johnson coming off the bench for one of them, you have to like our chances of putting some balls in the back of the net.

To be honest though, I'm just glad Oguchi Onyewu is a lock for the Cup. I do NOT want to be a forward going up against him.

Obviously, if the O'brien of '02 is around come June, the pick isn't baffling, but that is somewhat wishful thinking on my part. Although I won't rehash the argument, i think O'brien, when healthy, is one of our top 3 players, if not the best. However, that "when healthy" thing keeps lingering which is scary.

I have been trying to keep the posts mostly just SLU.....but since this thread is up.

I would take Twellman over Ching and Ching over Wolff.

Josh Wolff continues to have secret incriminating pictures of Bruce Arena....just kidding to make the point of my opinion. And I will leave it at that. (I realize the mixture of having target forwards vs guys who play better in space etc....)

Arena said himself that if Ralston was fit he would be on there without hesitation. He loves Ralston.

Had Noonan been a bit more fit, ....liked his chances. But with Convey, Beasley, O'Brien on left side...

Noonan, Twellman, Klein, Ralston all on 13 player alternate list.

None of the defender selections surprised me. I like Albright....but Lewis is already one converted player he wants to limit how many of those he chooses.

Thought Twellman would have been there and was hoping for Albright and Noonan.

I would say Josh Wolff has to be the disappointment for me....maybe Olsen too, to a lesser extent. But he can defend better than some others.

There always seem to be one Reyna backlash post on internet boards. Reyna sits just fine with me.

I'll be shocked if Ching and McBride see the field at the same time. I feel the opposite about Ching of late at least with the Nat'l team. I don't see much MLS play. But on the US team he has not been good.

Either way it's hard to knock the decissions Arena makes.

Reyna has to be on the team. Yes he has had injury problems ... but even more so than O'Brian he makes the team go. IF we stay healthy I think we have a chance to beat anyone.

I agree with Courtside on Wolff ... but the reason I thought to swap Ching for Twellman as Ching hasn't been good lately and plays the same style as Taylor. With Taylor in place of Wolff the mix isn't right.

The fact is that we are weakest upfront and deep in the midfield if O'Brian and Reyna are healthy. I know it won't happen but I'd like to see us start Landon up top with McBride and Bring Johnson off the bench. Landon could then slip back to mid.

Davis had some injury problems late last season that ended his season a bit early. Wasn't fit early on over fall/winter....

Davis will be in the mix for the next Cup. He finally received som National team experience over the past 1-2 years and is building a resume for himself to try to make the team in 4 years. Needs to produce and stay healthy....and it wouldn't hurt to stop bouncing around teams in the league. Talented left side player who should be in the mix in 4 years.

Skip....I am well aware as I said in my post who is and isn't a space player or target palyer etc....but sometimes if another player is much better regardless of that you take him.

Eddie Johnson shouldn't see the field unless he is second half substitute to try to rejuvenate the team in a tie or losing game. He has great talent and good size speed etc...but his work rate and concentration and often times first touch are not what they need to be at that level. Problem is...do you start him over Wolff...? And he very well might.

Depends on the opponent. If it's an opponent that cannot deal with Landon's speed, i start him up front with McBride (perhaps Italy), if it's an opponent with speed, perhaps you start someone who gives you a little more of a physical presence (perhaps Johnson with McBride against Ghana). I understand that Johnson has speed, but not on-the-ball speed like Landon.

Albright was worked against Jamaica (but in all honesty, the team was a disappointment), so i doubt he sees the field against Ghana. He is versatile and if he doesn't go up against a track star on the flank, i think he is very serviceable. Also, looking through the alternates...slim pickings.