We are officially the KC Royals of basketball

A bunch of no-name's running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. We've got Hal McRae running the show and and we can't get a recruit who's decent to save our life. We have no size, no strength with Ian gone and trust me, he's gone. No Stemler, who knows about Knollmeyer...he could just be a shorter version of Husak. If our starting 5 consists of either Husak or Justin Johnson, we're in for a long, long, long winter, with no signs of spring in sight. Dustin McGuire?? Are you kidding me? We're screwed.

Yeah, ok, but we had him in the bag and when IU came in, we just caved in. (See the Coach in the movie "The Waterboy" for what Soderberg did when old Coach Sampson came-a-callin'...SLU and IU have never met on the basketball court, but IU now holds a 1-0 series lead over the lowly Billikens. Wonderful.

What are you going to do about it? We don't have a team that will produce results. I'm not looking for National Championships. No one on this board is. I'm not looking for a 10-year-span between NCAA appearances either, and that is called "successful basketball" at SLU by all of you on this board. That is pathetic. When Wichita State or SIU or other lower-caliber teams can make the dance in consecutive years now and we lose out on top-flight recruits and settle --- and I do mean settle---for lower-tier players, who are we kidding here??? We're going to lose a lot of ballgames this year--just like last year because we can't finish and we lack an interior presence when Voyoukas is in foul trouble and we lack a complimentary post player to IV at the 5. We haven't signed a significant 4 since Soderberg has stepped in for Romar, and all the good ones have slipped through our fingers. Unacceptable. We're one or two steps away from resuming our position as a legit team in a legit major conference. SLU could pave the way for the A-10 to regain the respect they lost when West/Nelson left SJU and D. West left XU.

Ian could be the player that singlehandedly re-ignites the A-10 conference. The kid at LaSalle couldn't do it because Nova is Philly's team and got all the media hype even from "Mr. Saint Joe Lunardi" and S.A. Smith... Pops was the sole foci at GeeDubb, but the media assumed that the A-10 was down, so someone and some team had to dominate and that was GW. If SLU had beat GW at GW, the whole conference season would have garnered more attention by the national media --- without a doubt. But then again, we couldn't finish.

I'm excitied to see what Danny Brown can do and if Obi is really all that he's cracked out to be, but we cannot settle for what this coaching staff has done --- and that is continually settle for lower-tier recruits. Illinois wasn't the aggressor in getting Lisch --- but they were ILLINOIS. They didn't have to be..the name spoke for itself, so when IU got Chester Frasor, they focused their attention elsewhere and SLU "got" Lisch. I'm sure that Kevin Lisch loves Saint Louis University and the free Jesuit education that he is getting, but come on...if Weber had opened the door to Assembly Hall, Lisch would have been blinded by Orange. Instead he was welcomed by a handful of TeePee-throwing Blue Crew members. Brings a tear to my eye.

So this is what we're faced with --- the reality that if we lose Voyoukas, forget about it-- last place in the A-10, probably won't win a conference game. Maybe one or two tops.

Voyoukas is the lynchpin --- his decision will inevitably make or break us, but we have to shift the focus of our attention to recruiting or lack thereof. I am allowed to be critical of our coaching staff because we aren't living in a world where SLU is synonymous with the word NCAA Tournament. Wake up. We've given Soderberg long enough to produce and the people who sit around complacent about our program are idiots. Yeah, I understand we're close to getting to the NCAA tournament -- sure, the entire 322 team NCAA D1 field is a step or two away. No friggin sh**.

Aren't you tired of seeing Husak-like kids come in year in and year out and kids who have the athletic ability of a Tyrus Thomas or even Randal Falker for Godssake not come to SLU because we have a coach who folds under the pressure when other schools come to call?? We're not Oklahoma A&M for godsake. Realize we're all being cheated out of watching SLU return to glory and return to having consistent 20-win seasons and packing the Savvis Center. Do you care?

I think you are right on, bro. From watching SLU and going to the Dayton game with a teammate of mine, SLU is truly one step away. I think people unfairly rip you, and although I am new to the board, you do need to tone it down just a bit because SLU is on the rise and I can tell you aren't really patient, but your points are valid and should be respected. I've looked at your followups to people when they rip you and joke about you and you keep your cool and have a good demeanor and the people who rip you are not the type of people I want to be associated with. Keep it up, billikenmetz. You are a good fan.

-Ty

Thanks for your bluntness. I think you recognize the seriousness of this issue facing our University community and you are wise beyond your years. I hope that wherever you go, PR, that you find passionate fans who are committed to on the court and off the court excellence. That has a home at SLU, but our coaches and administrators haven't been able to develop and nurture that.

metz...I don't understand why you always rag on the BC...we're there, we're trying; I dunno what else to say to you. You've seen board members post that we're on the top of attendance in the A-10. You've seen that our membership has grown every year. Perhaps if you were running the program though, we'd all just flock to see you...

I'm not ripping on the Blue Crew. Far from it. I'm just saying show up en masse or don't show up at all. Gives a wrong impression. I was in Blue Crew for 4 years and for one of those years when I was working for the AD, i paid my dues but couldn't sit in the section for a single game because of my duties during the game. As much as I show support, I'd feel pretty out of place with one or two other fans welcoming a recruit. Eighty or one hundred fans from BC, sure, but 10 to 20 sends a bad impression in my opinion. I love that there's enthusiasm, just needs to be more.

I think I have four now...more of a guestamate really...I think I forgot two of the passwords, so I guess that leaves me with, holy crap, 2 screennames! Hooray for you and your detective work. You're a sly little fella...i'm sure that criminal justice degree collecting dust on the wall sure makes you sleep better at night. Hooray!

I truly resent that statement, but thanks for comparing my two favorite teams.

Reasons "we" are not the KC Royals of basketball:

1. You can't compare pro sports and collegiate sports. The Royals lose players because they can't pay them. SLU loses players because they graduate.

2. SLU's problem does not come from ineptiude in management. From the AD to our head coach, SLU has good people that know where they are going. The Royals have a bunch of charity cases managing the team.

3. SLU's problem does not stem from lack of coaching. Brad coaches his kids better than just about every coach out there. Buddy Bell can't even get a veteran player to take a first pitch with bases loaded and two outs.

---

And a reason why the two teams are similiar:

1. KC Royals fans and SLU fans don't give up on their team when something doesn't go their way. We stick with these teams because we love to watch them, follow them, die with every second they are competing. Don't make me believe differently, metz.

We have not lost Lance yet - officially, no decision has been made public yet so we do not know what the final outcome will be. Clearly the Milwaukee article jumped the gun. For whatever the reason, Lance is still contemplating his decision with his family. Lets just be patient and see what today brings. You will have plenty of time rip the program and Brad or to eat crow.