Chaney retirement article...

While I am not a big Chaney fan, he certainly had lots of success as a coach. He was really an old style coach where things were done his way. It will be interesting to see who Temple goes to to replace him. The A10 needs to have a strong team in Temple so picking his replacement will be important not just for the school but the league as well.

Now we also have to hope that GW keeps Hobbs. The A10 isn't strong enough right now to lose 2 of their top coaches and put Temple and GW into any kind of rebuilding mode.

I doubt that Hobbs is going anywhere - he is soiled goods for now with that academic issue. Anybody who hires him will be raising a red flag and he only wants to trade up not down or laterally. The Temple thing is interesting - I really think that Chaney made that school what is so it may not be that easy to replace him.

In 24 years at Temple, Chaney's record was 516-252. His team has been in decline, only making the NIT for the past 5 years. Previous to this run, Temple made 17 NCAA tournaments in the previous 19 years. They advanced to the regional finals five teams and lost.

Chaney's teams won 6 A10 league championships, and he was selected as National coach of the year twice, and the A10 coach of the year five times.

Chaney also had his share of warts, but I challenge his detractors to point out any coach in a similar situation that has complied half the good work John has done.

When all is said and done I think we would all love to have accomplished the things that this man has accomplished in his career.

Sure he is a feisty old guy and his teams are not quite as good as the glory days but his overall "body of work" is excellent.

His dedication to the inner city young men is admirable. I would bet his influence saved a lot of lives and vaulted a lot of his players into successful careers. His success goes way beyond winning games.

Unless you were in his shoes growing up, no one should be too critical of his agressive attitude. He is a human being who made some mistakes but he should be remembered as a disciplinarian who did great things for the inner city community. My hat is off to Coach Chaney!