Troopsports.com (Floyd Irons on Leon Powell's recruitme

VTIME

like everyone else he has not gotten along with every coaching staff at SLU or Missouri; some rea;ly old rumors had him pining for the college level as coaches came and went and he certainly

had the win loss records to be shown some consideration; he has the opportunity to steer kids and we wasted some like Grawer's inability to build a team around Mel Robinson when it seemed he preferred his big men to rebound and kick it out to the guards or not play-that's all- we should hope he gets along with SLU

This is a two-way street. You and others are asking aobut our recruitment of the local kids. We seem to be doing that. Why hasn't Leon committed to SLU at this point? I think 50% is to get the offer; the other 50% is to accept it. What's slowing Leon down?

Frankly, Suggs could commit. So could Brandenburg. I know it doesn't mean much because verbals are non-binding, but Damon Bailey did it to Indiana as an eighth grader. Where's Leon's committment?

>This is a two-way street. You and others are asking aobut

>our recruitment of the local kids. We seem to be doing

>that. Why hasn't Leon committed to SLU at this point? I

>think 50% is to get the offer; the other 50% is to accept

>it. What's slowing Leon down?

>

>Frankly, Suggs could commit. So could Brandenburg. I know

>it doesn't mean much because verbals are non-binding, but

>Damon Bailey did it to Indiana as an eighth grader. Where's

>Leon's committment?

I'm not sure Powell has an offer. They can be recruiting him, but it's an extreme rarity for kids to commit without an offer. A school can be recruiting you, you know calling once a week to see where you stand, but until they see it in writing, why would they commit to a school that hasn't committed to them? As for Suggs and Brandenburg, they could be holding out for bigger offers or just dont see the urgency with so much time left in their careers. SLU's best bet is to offer Powell before he really becomes a big name on the summer circuit this year. I think he'll commit to SLU shortly after they offer unless Kansas or maybe Illinois start showing interest again. However I dont think Illinois is still recruiting him although they were last summer after he put on a show at some event.

So what you're saying is that Leon will commit to SLU as his last recourse? He's ready to sign if SLU offers (sans Kansas or Illinois or how many other schools are out there) so that means SLU hasn't offered. Hmmmm ....

Without debating the wunderkind, how about some other noted recruit followers out there? What is the process on offering, committing and/or signing? How about pdiddy or 3-star or some others? What are the streets saying? Leon's got an offer or not? What do the rules say? Maybe way back when a Damon Bailey could commit but that's taboo now. What's the deal?

unless powell has known academic deficiencies, i would be shocked if he doesnt have a scholarship offer from the billikens. i believe he has since last year already.

You are such a hypocrite, broy. No wonder you most hated on this board. No wonder I'll never talk to you again. No wonder you'll only hang with Bearcat friends. No wonder you're despised as the board gestapo. I can't fathom anyone sitting anywhere near you, talking ot you or admitting they know you.

By the way, you playing golf with us in Cincy? And don't let anybody else see this .... DAMMIT ... it'll blow my cover!

"What is the process on offering, committing and/or signing? How about pdiddy or 3-star or some others?"

Every school is a bit different. It's rare that a kid gets an early offer from SLU. Usually two things have to happen -- 1) The kid has to be a high major talent 2) the kid has to be academically qualified (Tommie has been the only exception). I'm not saying Powell has bad grades but he isn't a no-brainer qualifier like Lisch was or Suggs is.

If you play basketball at the V and aren't an honor student, your academics are going to be questioned, and for good reason. Historically players on the bball team have been really good students -- Polk, McKinney, Hill -- or they don't qualify. There really hasn't been any in between.

>"What is the process on offering, committing and/or signing?

>How about pdiddy or 3-star or some others?"

>

>Every school is a bit different. It's rare that a kid gets

>an early offer from SLU. Usually two things have to happen

>-- 1) The kid has to be a high major talent 2) the kid has

>to be academically qualified (Tommie has been the only

>exception). I'm not saying Powell has bad grades but he

>isn't a no-brainer qualifier like Lisch was or Suggs is.

>

>If you play basketball at the V and aren't an honor student,

>your academics are going to be questioned, and for good

>reason. Historically players on the bball team have been

>really good students -- Polk, McKinney, Hill -- or they

>don't qualify. There really hasn't been any in between.

I really cant argue with anything you just said. I hate to see Will Franklin qualify and his brother going to JUCO same with Bobby Hill and his brother. I would think one would be able to rub off on the other, but in Roach's case he could still qualify, but needs to go JUCO because of his size and show Division 1 scouts than he can play some swingman.

i agree vtime. i havent seen suggs play but sophs that are 6'6" tall typically cant walk down the floor well let alone lead his VARSITY team in scoring and be the point guard as well.

Suggs is getting recruited heavily by the Illini. I know Suggs sat behind their bench a few weeks back at a game. And Weber has been out to some of his games and practices.

You have to remember that Suggs is just a sophomore. He has a lot of room to grow and improve his game.

Yeah and Suggs has been offered by Romar already. Romar picked up on Dentmon before we did and we are across the River. First we let Illinois State get him and then when he opted for prep school, we didnt even offer we just let Romar have him. Romar also got Martell Webster(#6 pick in last June's draft) to commit and All-American Jon Brockman. He's getting national recruits and still managing to ****** players out of our own backyard. Illinois State has also gotten Gordon, Wallace, Dentmon, and Hill, Western Illinois has gotten Taylor and Mo Smith back-to-back. SIUC got Falker and Shaw. With these schools continuing to get OUR players, how are we ever going to close the border. Schools get burned on package deals all the time, but its worth a try with the Brandenburg's or hiring Frazier to get Bryant Allen or something.

>>Schools get burned on package deals all the time, but its worth a try with the Brandenburg's or hiring Frazier to get Bryant Allen or something.<<

The only package deal I can remember working out for the Billikens was agreeing to take an undersized PF named Roland Gray so we could sign Monroe Douglas. I can live with deals like that.

I've heard Scott Suggs has a scholarship offer from Illinois.

He's been talked about on other threads, but basically he's a 6-foot-6 sophomore combo guard who is good at working without the ball and knocking down mid-range jump shots.

He's definitely got areas of his game to improve on, but he seems like a hard-working kid who loves basketball, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him improve. No. 1, he needs to get stronger. I think he'll probably start going to HammerBodies or some trainer soon.

I like his game and think he'll be a great player in a couple years.

- Nate