Transition (or lack thereof)

shempie

It seems to me that the problem with our transition game is less a function of personnel and more of our defensive strategy. We consistently generate less steals and tipped passes than most of the teams we play and gamble in the passing lanes less than most transition teams. Instead we choose to play straight up, man to man D that emphasizes on the ball pressure and positioning. If I am not mistaken it also seems that the pack defense's foundation is just about everyone starting with a foot in the lane again making it harder to get out on the break quickly. I would argue we have finishers with KL and TL and even DP (who can get to the rack quickly), but we don't generate as many opportunities because of our style. Instead of trying to run, I would prefer to see more backcourt pressure. We have the depth at guard to wear a team's ball handlers down and would like to see us pressure the ball end line to end line for 40 minutes to wear out the other team's PG. One man's opinion, for what it's worth.

I completely agree. At half time Saturday, I believe Dayton had about 7 steals and we didn't have any. While we play outstanding defense, we don't take risks and generate a lot of steals. I wish we would press more and mix in traps, etc. I think we could give teams a different look and create more scoring opportunities off turnovers. Our defensive style is not conducive to fast break basketball.

That was one difference of Coach Soderberg from Spoon's best teams. We did generate steals with some traps and we did score off transition. They also shot the basketball with good accuracy beyond the arc and had a few players that could nail 3's.