Hostile Dayton Fans

bluecrewprez

I'm sure people don't really care much about the Dayton fans, but I just feel like getting this off my chest:

19 Blue Crewers (and about 6 cheerleaders--not cheering, just as fans) went on a road trip to Dayton this weekend, and we had a great time...except for one thing: the Dayton fans. It was not the student fans or the band; they were great. We exchanged playful jeers, laughed, exchanged mascot meanings, and hung out before the game/at halftime, but the alumni and older fans were a completely different story. I am a girl and I have never felt so physically threatened by fans. We were constantly heckled and told to "get the f* out of our arena." (I cannot repeat the majority of things that were said to us) The security guards hung around us the entire game to make sure we didn't go 10ft from the back wall.

I understand that we were in an opposing team's arena, but their class-less-ness was completely beyond anything I've ever witnessed. The students were more well-behaved than the adults. One exchange between a fan in his 30s and a BC member as we were walking out of the arena summed it up:

Drunky McBoozerman: "SLUSERS! SLUSERS! SLUSERS!"

Upstanding Blue Crewer: "Grow up."

D.M.: "No! I'll never grow up! I hope I never EVER grow up!"

U.B.C.: "Apparently."

Can't wait for the rematch on the 1st....

... when we left the Great Midwest to form CUSA, we did not take Dayton with us and they were pretty peeved about us and Marquette leaving them behind. There are a lot of old-timers in Dayton that have not forgotten. Now, we're essentially (in some way) asking them to bail us out of all our former friends leaving us for the Big East. Payback time. Granted, no need for obscenities but most are like that.

I remember that last Great Midwest tournament in Dayton. You think it was bad now .... should've been there then. And I think both us and Marquette went further then they did in their own building. Not pretty.

SLU continued to play Dayton in non-conference games.

Supposedly, Cincinnati would not agree to allow Dayton to go with Marquette and SLU to the Great Midwest. I don't think SLU had anything to do with that, but SLU was painted with the brush.

I remember watching that last MCC Tournament championship game, Rich Grawer's SLU Billikens v. Xavier at Dayton. The Billikens were serenaded with chants of "MCC, MCC." Again SLU lost to X, and that year SLU was left out of everything, even the NIT. But several years later Dayton and Xavier bolted for the A-10 themselves.

The Dayton fans were obnoxious back in the MCC days, so don't take it personally. It is part of their tradition. However, if you lived or went to school in Dayton you might feel the same. It is a very very dull place. On TV their coach impressed me as a jerk also. When they come here hopefully fans and team will take their measure.

Maybe those Marianist have a thing against Jesuits, or prolly it's cause Dayton is redneck shithole town and UD basketball is the only thing going in that dump (except for the Reds single A baseball team). Did you know they had to close that arena for a few days last year after floods, caused 6 inches of sewage to flood UDump Arena.

Be thankful your not a Xavier fan. If you think you guys are treated bad, wait till next Tuesday when the Xavier Nation visits. Next Tuesday is the their Superbowl. . squared. It's truely disgusting how UD treats the visiting fans.

Good luck fellow Jesuits on the rest of the year, please make getting swept by you not look so bad.

Go Jesuits!

You must understnad that Dayton is comprised of two things: 1) mulleted incest loving hicks and 2) people who want to die because they hate being stuck in Dayton. These factors make them hate the outside world and all its inhabitants.

The students were nice to you because they haven't been "daytoned" long enough. If they get trapped in Dayton after graduating, they won't get out. Then they will become a hick or start to hate the world. They are a sad people. Your best bet is to never go to Dayton, especially not the UrineDump Arena.

Oh, and people in Dayton are famous for having sex with watermelons too. It's true.

My kids and I were sitting about 10 rows in front of your group. A couple of observations:

1. I didn't see any security guards anywhere. In fact, the security guards are so old I doubt they could make it up to where you guys were.

2. Personally, I appreciated your enthusiasm. It was great to see the way you support your team.

3. Didn't see or hear anyone yell or threaten any of you, but again, I was 10 or 15 rows in front of you so I would not have been able to observe anything close up.

4. The Dayton crowd was pretty subdued. It has been pretty subdued for most of the year. Due to the less than stellar year Dayton is having.

All in all, impressed the way you supported your team, sorry if you had a bad experience but hope you come back. I have travelled to a number of Dayton road games and have been treated pretty poorly, especially by the good Jesuits to our south. It comes with the territory.

>1. I didn't see any security guards anywhere. In fact, the

>security guards are so old I doubt they could make it up to

>where you guys were.

Anytime we left our seats (as in when we went down to the walk-around pathway), there were security guards waiting for us at the bottom waiting to usher us back. They saw us coming and would meet us halfway. If we left our seats, they would follow us. Good thing none of us had to go to the bathroom, coz we would have never made it.

>3. Didn't see or hear anyone yell or threaten any of you,

>but again, I was 10 or 15 rows in front of you so I would

>not have been able to observe anything close up.

Everywhere we went we were yelled at. The last 5 rows of the arena in the section to the left of us were the most vocal and consistent since we were sitting/standing by them, but it was everywhere we went and only got more hostile the closer to the court we got. It was ridiculous. All I can say is I can't wait for the rematch on the 1st...

I also wasn't in the upper section, so i can't comment; but I was in the lower section when your group took over some seats that weren't yours and were then rude to the fans who asked you to move. Maybe the ushers (UD arena doesn't have security guards) were watching you to make sure you stayed in the section you were assigned to.

Sounds like sour grapes on your end and no matter where you go there will always be some jerks; so keeping that in mind, I won't judge all SLU fans based on the rude actions of a few.

In case y'all did not know, this past weekend was an alumni homecoming of sorts. I am Dayton alumni and SLU also.

Dayton gets great support; however, it is not usually sold out in the 400 section (upper seats in the saddle style stadium). Add in a mix of alumni drunken debauchery and out of town fans will probably take a heavy hit. SLU and UD season ticket holders are fairly similar -- old. But UD fans actually get into the game.

SLU's old fogies could take some lessons from the UD fogies. Don't sit on your hands and make noise!

I'm not sure who you saw, but we never had fans telling us to move, since we were never anywhere for longer than 5 minutes. If it was only a few of us sitting where we shouldn't have been, it would be because out of the 19 Crewers that went, 15 of us have friends that go to Dayton and we were talking with them. We had 1 or 2 ushers telling us that we could sit in the top of the student section for a bit before the game started--and we knew we would never be able to sit there for the actual game, that's a no-brainer--but then other ushers came to push us to the back of the bus.

They may just be trying to get some retribution. My freshman year, 02 i guess, after we beat them here, we, mostlt blue crewers, were standing outside Savvis waiting for the student ubs back to SLU. The Dayton charter bus was sitting right there, picking up alumns and what not. We formed two lines around the door, and they had to walk right through us as we yelled at them and told them they are terrible.

That might be why some of the older fans were angry, heh.

Then again I thought they deserved it!

Since the original poster also put this on the x board, that tells me all I need to know about the motivations of the poster and the reliability of the facts.

It would be like A UD fan claiming to have a gripe against SLU and then going to the Mizzou board and posting the complaints there as well, even though they had nothing to do with the alleged gripe