Lineup and Rotation for the Rest of the Year

Billinikens

Many of these issues have been discussed previously but I wanted to consolidate into one "Master Plan" if you will to see if my perceptions fall in line with the rest of you.

PG - The future of this position for our program is Tommie Liddell. He is our best penetrator, playmaker, and creator. He needs to have the ball in his hands as much as possible for the rest of this year and the next three. We might as well start doing it right away and get him the experience.

SG - Kevin has been our MVP (of the guards at least) this year. The defense is there every game and he has justly been rewarded with 30+ minutes a game. He has proven he can hit the big shot at the end. Now we need Brad to get rid of the reins and just tell him to be aggressive offensively. I think Tommie at the PG position will help create more open looks for him as well.

SF - Danny is our best option here. He's not a classic player at this position as he does not finish on his slashes but he's the best we have and he can make the open three. Here again, Tommie can maximize his open looks. Brad needs to really work on him going to the basket under control to eliminate the charges and missed layups. If he can do that, he will be more than serviceable.

PF - As many of you have observed, the 4 guard experiment needs to end. JJ should start here EVERY game for the rest of this year and next (unless Obi is much better than expected). He could be tougher inside but right now he can give you 6-10 points and 6-8 boards as well as at least something of an inside presence alongside Ian. We need him in there and the intensity to stay up.

C - Ian of course. I'd like to see him more aggressive and effective against the top teams but any ineffectiveness on his part probably have to do with our shortcomings elsewhere.

6th man guard - AD. He's hit the three with some proficiency this year so hopefully he can provide an offensive spark. As I recall, he has been at his best as an offensive spark off the bench in his first two years.

Next guard - Luke Meyer. Primarily in Danny's spot to provide help on the boards when we need it. Possibly in for any of the three (moving Kevin to the point) instead of AD just to get him more court time to help him contribute next year.

6th man inside - Bryce. Newborne gives us no offense or defense or rebounding. He's soft. Bryce at least gives us a defensive presence that can wreak a bit of havoc for the opposition on the interior.

DP just doesn't give us much at this point in time which is a big statement for me since he's my favorite player. I love his big smile and enthusiasm, just don't see it on the court anymore though. Limited minutes to give Tommie a blow is about all I see for him.

Vashun is five fouls off the bench and a big body if we're in serious foul trouble. Other than that, leave the warmups on.

I really think this our best lineup and rotation and gives us the best chance to win game in and game out. Brad hasn't really settled on any rotation yet which I think is as big a reason for our inconsistency as our youth. Players don't know what their role is from game to game. Sticking to this would help in my opinion. Other thoughts?

great post.

the only things i would change is

using husak 2-3 minutes per half to give ian a breather each half.

i wouldnt use newborne. when johnson needs a break, go with the 4 guard thing for a couple of minutes.

i would give lisch and liddell 30+ minutes per game. brown depends on how he is playing that night.

so minutes would break down as follows:

ian 34

johnson 34

lisch 34

liddell 34

brown 25

that leaves 39 minutes for husak, drejaj, meyer and polk

husak 6

polk 6

drejaj 20

meyer 7

that would assume drejaj's ankles continue to get better. if they are no better than they were in umass and richmond, drejaj and meyer's minutes would be flipped.

Agreed except for the minutes on JJ. Since he has trouble with intensity, I think 34 might be too many to keep him playing at a high level. I think you use him in four or five minute spurts, then give him a blow for a few minutes. I'm thinking three 4 minute spurts, then 2 or 3 minute breathers each half. Use mostly Bryce in his absence and Vashun minimally. It would be nice to have a size advantage inside periodically with Ian and Bryce both in. Might have problems with athletic PFs in that situation but it's not like Newborne is stopping them anyway.

continues to haunt us. i dont disagree with your comments about johnson, but our options are very limited. if not johnson, we have to either play newborne or go 4 guard. of the three available not great options i choose let johnson play. i understand coach's frustration with him, but in a sense, the fact we have limited other options is no one's fault but coach soderberg. he has been here long enough to have found more depth at the position.

if the season continues down the current path, all indications point in that direction(hope not), you have to begin to phase out AD's playing time for the sake of letting the youth get the experience they need. .500 ball this season, maybe/maybe not the NIT with AD playing 30 plus a game does nothing for this team's future development. I am not trying to be mean to the guy. I have watched the kid for over 3 seasons now, he isn't our future.

Unfortunately it is time to focus on getting people ready for next season.

The first post in this thread is right on.

Agreed on the AD point. I tried to pass along those sentiments in my original post as well. AD has always been at his maximum effectiveness when coming in as a spark off the bench in my opinion. As the season progresses and we stay around .500, more and more time to Luke and Dwayne in his stead. With all five starters I listed at the top of this thread back for next year, you've got to have next year in the back of your mind in all the decisions you make from here on out.

>Many of these issues have been discussed previously but I

>wanted to consolidate into one "Master Plan" if you will to

>see if my perceptions fall in line with the rest of you.

>

>PG - The future of this position for our program is Tommie

>Liddell. He is our best penetrator, playmaker, and creator.

> He needs to have the ball in his hands as much as possible

>for the rest of this year and the next three. We might as

>well start doing it right away and get him the experience.

>

>SG - Kevin has been our MVP (of the guards at least) this

>year. The defense is there every game and he has justly

>been rewarded with 30+ minutes a game. He has proven he can

>hit the big shot at the end. Now we need Brad to get rid of

>the reins and just tell him to be aggressive offensively. I

>think Tommie at the PG position will help create more open

>looks for him as well.

>

>SF - Danny is our best option here. He's not a classic

>player at this position as he does not finish on his slashes

>but he's the best we have and he can make the open three.

>Here again, Tommie can maximize his open looks. Brad needs

>to really work on him going to the basket under control to

>eliminate the charges and missed layups. If he can do that,

>he will be more than serviceable.

>

>PF - As many of you have observed, the 4 guard experiment

>needs to end. JJ should start here EVERY game for the rest

>of this year and next (unless Obi is much better than

>expected). He could be tougher inside but right now he can

>give you 6-10 points and 6-8 boards as well as at least

>something of an inside presence alongside Ian. We need him

>in there and the intensity to stay up.

>

>C - Ian of course. I'd like to see him more aggressive and

>effective against the top teams but any ineffectiveness on

>his part probably have to do with our shortcomings

>elsewhere.

>

>6th man guard - AD. He's hit the three with some

>proficiency this year so hopefully he can provide an

>offensive spark. As I recall, he has been at his best as an

>offensive spark off the bench in his first two years.

>

>Next guard - Luke Meyer. Primarily in Danny's spot to

>provide help on the boards when we need it. Possibly in for

>any of the three (moving Kevin to the point) instead of AD

>just to get him more court time to help him contribute next

>year.

>

>6th man inside - Bryce. Newborne gives us no offense or

>defense or rebounding. He's soft. Bryce at least gives us

>a defensive presence that can wreak a bit of havoc for the

>opposition on the interior.

>

>DP just doesn't give us much at this point in time which is

>a big statement for me since he's my favorite player. I

>love his big smile and enthusiasm, just don't see it on the

>court anymore though. Limited minutes to give Tommie a blow

>is about all I see for him.

>

>Vashun is five fouls off the bench and a big body if we're

>in serious foul trouble. Other than that, leave the warmups

>on.

>

>I really think this our best lineup and rotation and gives

>us the best chance to win game in and game out. Brad hasn't

>really settled on any rotation yet which I think is as big a

>reason for our inconsistency as our youth. Players don't

>know what their role is from game to game. Sticking to this

>would help in my opinion. Other thoughts?

I said Liddell should be the starting pg all summer and nearly everyone scoffed at me saying we need him as a finisher on the break etc. With Danny and Kevin on the wing, you have finishers, and even Polk can finish on the fast break. Luke too. I guess I still dont know what I'm talking about when it comes to Liddell. About how he was passive etc.

>I said Liddell should be the starting pg all summer and

>nearly everyone scoffed at me saying we need him as a

>finisher on the break etc. With Danny and Kevin on the

>wing, you have finishers, and even Polk can finish on the

>fast break. Luke too. I guess I still dont know what I'm

>talking about when it comes to Liddell. About how he was

>passive etc.

And I was one that scoffed at you. As I said in the initial post, I love Dwayne Polk and he's my favorite Billiken still. I suppose I was blinded by how much I liked the guy along with the fact I had only watched Tommie play once. I saw that athleticism on the wing and was drooling but now believe you were correct all along. Don't let it go to your head too much...

the first 3 minutes

Ian or BH if he can get us the tip off

JJ

DB

TL

KL

the next 8 minutes leave out Bryce- go with the other 5

bring in AD, DP, LM amd full court press for 4-5 mins

bring starters back to finish half

2nd half start Bryce if other tean has ball first after 3 minutes bring in the Ian offence and if it is working stay with JJ, DB, TL,

KL and Ian

Against tall teams I'd play JJ, Ian and Bryce to start and rotate the top 4 guards rotating 2 in and 2 out so they are used to playing with the same partners;

VN shows no hustle. I'd bench him. I really like JJ but if he stands around I'd pull him, too. His rebounding is what should keep hum in the game

Obi- what is his prognosis for recovery? For getting in good shape?

I was afraid for this kid to be on the floor for the exhibition games; reminded me of the talented kid that we got for a few games out of Teutopolis, Illinois and he blew out his ACL plus; Illinios had passed on him and we needed him so badly we let him play. Obi may need to talk to Ian about conditioning; Ian actually runs the floor well this year and I'd love to see BH get more playing time if he could stay within two to three steps of the guards for put backs on fast breaks; we are lucky if he makes it down the court.

I do not want to see OBI in another ballgame where he is handcicapped by the knee and out of shape.