Iowa Phi Hacka Hackas

Did the Iowa football team have a layover in St. Louis on its way to the Bowl game in Tampa? Did they bring the zebras with them from Iowa City or Keokuk?

This poster is used to watching the finesse, touch foul Pac-10, which is one extreme, and a bad one at that. Then you see a Big Ten football team playing basketball by setting illegal moving screens, hitting the opposition on layups, and witnessing first hand a wrestling takedown against SLU's center that was incredibly called "traveling" on IV, and you truly have to wonder.

If Iowa had been playing that game in Haas Pavilion in Berkeley, half the Iowa team would have fouled out.

This being said, SLU still would have won had it hit a few more shots and shot better at the free throw line.

just even fouls called. Yes Iowa shot less foul shots, but Iowa was allowed to foul at will and not get called.

Polk on a drive to the basket,#23 hit his head with his arm changing the rotation of his body no call

Lisch on fast break attempt get pushed out of bound with a forearm to the body no call

Ian having 23 land on him no foul, sure he elbow when 23 is slow to get up but Brunner is hip checking his head at the time.......

With refs like this we did not even get a chance to win.....even if we had converted down the stretch....

I was furious as I watched the game but I thought that I should watch it on tape first to see if my frustration was justified.

A close analysis shows that the refs were not only terrible but they were biased so that almost every time the Bills needed a call when they were on the way back the refs made a bad or absolutely terrible call to stop our momentum.

Here were the most blatant:

1. Maybe the worst call I have ever seen was the big guy from Iowa slamming down on Ian's head and back with force that looked like a linebacker hitting the quarterback and no foul was called and Ian was called for travelling. It was a miracle that Ian was not hurt. Unbelievable!

2. Tommie goes in for a slam and Brunner intentionally--but subtly--pushes him in the back after he makes the shot so Tommie flies out of bounds and lands on his back. It was a miracle he was not hurt. Tommie looked at the ref like what game are you watching but he said nothing and ran back to the other end.

3. Kevin goes in for a layup on a fast break going around their guy who wasn't awake. As he goes up for the shot the Iowa player gives him a shove in lower back and although kevin makes the shot he goes flying out of bounds and crashes into the cheerleaders. Again it was fortunate that Kevin was not injured. No foul and Iowa goes the other way on the fast break with Kevin rushing to catch up.

4. The 3 second call. I sit close to the opposing coach so I can hear everything he says to the refs. On that play, Alford told the ref to call 3 seconds and the ref immediately blew the whistle and called 3 seconds. it was a horrible call and it demonstrates how badly these refs were trying to help Iowa. For those of your who could not attend, two of the three refs went to the iowa huddle and joked with the Iowa coaches on numerous occasions--almost every time out. They would huddle up with Alford and discuss his "concerns" while at the same time they just ignored Brad and our staff.

5. But the most egregious bad calls were not ones that were so obvious but they killed us. For those of you who say our perimiter defense is bad, I would ask you to watch more carefully. In fact, our perimiter defense for the most part was excellent. However the refs solved the problem for Iowa. On repeated occasions the 3 point shooters for Iowa would run into the lane and take their man to Brunner. Brunner would wait until the last minute and then just as our defender arrived he would move into him-- a clearly illegal moving screen. That would free up the shooter for a split second and they made some amazing shots. If those refs would have called the illegal screens Brunner would have fouled out!

Billikan - can not say I don't agree with your analysis.

For those of you who were agreeing with Rammer about Chistate and the homecooking not being fair to them - well he and you got what you wanted last night. I hope you did not choke on it as it went down because I certainly puked it up.