Jesuit Shootout

Box and Won

This blurb appeared in the Cincinnati Enquirer yesterday:

Event for Jesuit schools never got full support

Xavier notebook

By Dustin Dow

Enquirer staff writer

OMAHA, Neb. - Just a few years ago, there was a vision that tonight's game between Creighton and Xavier would be a part of something larger.

Instead, when Xavier and Creighton meet at 8 p.m. at Qwest Center Omaha, Creighton's 15,500-seat arena, it will feature two of the most successful Jesuit basketball programs in the country, but that's it.

The plan headed by Creighton and Xavier to create a Jesuit Shootout among the nation's Division I Jesuit basketball programs never came to be.

It had the leadership of both schools' athletic directors and the support of ESPN, which wanted to model such an event after the ACC-Big Ten Challenge.

But it didn't have two of the most prominent Jesuit basketball programs, Gonzaga and Marquette, on board, which ultimately stalled the idea.

"ESPN was willing to give up commercial spots to televise ads about the Jesuit mission and the participating schools' commercials," Creighton athletic director Bruce Rasmussen said. "Gonzaga and Marquette didn't want to be a part of it. I was really disappointed with their response."

Rasmussen worked closely with former Xavier athletic director Mike Bobinski and former Xavier president, the late Fr. James E. Hoff, S.J., in developing the concept. But Gonzaga and Marquette, which have higher national profiles than other Jesuit programs, did not see a benefit in participating.

"There are a lot of people across the country that don't know what it means to be a Jesuit school," Rasmussen said. "Fr. Hoff and I thought this was a tremendous idea to promote the Jesuit mission. ESPN was very interested."

>Marquette has been dodging Creighton for quite a while.

>Funny thing is that Marquette did a 1 and 1 schedule with

>Nebraska, but won't give the same thing to Creighton. I

>will enjoy seeing Marquette become a back of the pack school

>in the Big East.

You won't be enjoying that for long....

As for scheduling with 1 and 1 with Nebraska, that was because they were willing to do the first game at MU and other schools who were contacted were unable or unwilling to do so.

i look forward to your march "i told you so" visit.

of course if we are right though, you will be back to admit you were wrong as well.

I'm thinking NIT this year at best, but with a top 5 class with 3 starting this year, 2 big time recruits coming in next year (big one, Hayward, picking MU over UConn, 'Cuse and Pitt - Big East really boosting recruiting) NCAA is possible (no lock), 2007 is the year MU will be a top 15 club again. Much like SLU, lots of very talented youth being counted on a lot this year. If you think MU will be a Big East cellar dwellar on an annual basis you're sadly mistaken.

I wonder if Larry and his brother SJ presidents could put this together and tell the AD's to do it??

And I am talking about 07-08 or 08-09 as I can't believe too many games are fixed for this period.

I mean, spreading the news about Jesuits and their educational opportunities on ESPN for God's sake (pun intended), how much would you have to pay to get that message out to that many people???

I love the idea, the exposure.

And I wonder if BC was onboard and was SLU considered???

I don't see the point of opposing it. If Gonzaga and Marquette are such hot sh!t, they can play each other.

Like you said, a Jesuit Shootout would be great PR for all of the universities and the Jesuit order and could actually stand to elevate us all.

There could even be a DII version, with Regis playing Rockhurst, for example.

No mention of Boston College either. Now that they are in the ACC, I am sure their scheduling ideas have changed as well. 16 Big East games changes the schedule thinking. I will give Marquette a great class this year, and what looks like possibly a solid one next year...but they need to develop a current roster big man to get over that hump. Or take a juco transfer that is better than the one they got this year.(Lott)...because those two kids for next year play 1-3. juco transfers better start or be a 6th man, or they are a bust. (They need a Merritt or Jackson) The lack of recruiting and developing more low post threats has been their biggest draw-back.

DePaul beating Creighton and Wake, getting crushed by NI, ODU, etc..they are young and all over the place...no not jesuit..but had the Creighton DePaul game on the brain.

I think we'll find that there is a LOT more to this "Jesuit shootout" and why it didn't happen than was "reported" by the Cincy paper.

Amoroso is starting to really blossom for MU. The 30-13 game in the Great Alaska Shootout title game was a major boost for him and he's been getting about 8 boards a game since. Lott, the JUCO, was starting until Amo just went crazy and he leapfrogged Lott. No big on the MU roster is as good as Ian, however.

No sale.

Amaroso is not a low post back to the basket inside player. I will give you he is improved, can shoot it outside, hustles, ....etc..a scorer...but he gets eaten alive by strong low post players. Not a strong defender, inconsistent. He needs a few more inches. How good can Lott be if he not only doesn't start, but doesn't play? There is plenty of opportunity to play there at the 4 or 5. Looks like that Barro kid will be a project for 3 years, maybe contributing his senior season.

What good will it do their current Frosh class, if the class above them...their class, and the class below them doesn't contain inside presence? They will have to be fun and gun and score a lot in transition...which they could....but their defenders will have to play much bigger.