4-Guard Offense, Help Defense

pompeytir

If the bills are going to play four guards who are no taller than 6'-4'' then they are going to have to play help defense and commit to it- they are going to have to drop down in the paint and support the interior against bigger post guys (Sensley for UH?). By playing this support/Help shell, the perimeter is going to be open for 3's. The idea is that the 4 guards are quick enough to rotate from help defense in the interior to the perimeter. Unfortunately Hawaii was able to knock down their shots and rotate the ball and take advantage of 4-Guard lineup; 11-22 3ps.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

You can not be in two places at one time the last I checked. Folding down to help out inside will eventually be your doom if the other team can hit their outside shot. Maybe what you have ask yourself is - would I rather give up 2 and stop the 3 or stop the 2 and give up the 3pts. I fear we will see this problem all year.

brad's pack defense is all about protecting the lane but exploding out to your man when he gets the ball. imo we reacted a step slow all night.

at some point he should have had whomever was guarding that lojeski denying the pass. however that would have just given sensley an open seem to exploit. as cheeseman more or less said, choose your poison.

I think statistically you have to stop the 2 pointer first and take your chances on the 3pter. When Hawaii beat Michigan State in their opener they were 10 for 24(42%)from the 3pt line.

When Hawaii lost to UNLV last week they made only 1 of 17 3-pt attempts for a 6% 3-pt shooting percentage. 1 for 17, that's grade school like!

Against SLU, Hawaii made 11 of 22 3-pters (50%).

Stop the 2 pointer first, and then do your best to close-out on the

3-pt shooter.

Wow...those stats show how streaky Hawaii has been in just their first 3 games beyond the arc...seems like they really prefer the home cooking too. I'd agree that you protect your basket and work your way out on defense. I cannot bring myself to get too hung up over this loss...it would have been tough to win with a more veteran team...like Mich. State.

hardball, i agree it will be our achilles heel all season long, however, newborne and johnson dont appear to be answers. the fault lies in the fact we were not successful in recruiting a real power forward in a long time. now we pay for it while we wait for obi to heal and develop. hopefully our coaches are able to convince a top power forward this winter that with our stable of guards and ian there is just one piece to the puzzle missing.