Recruiting status

cheeseman

Can someone summarize our status for this year:

1. How many schollies do we have available to offer is we choose to do so?

2. Is Dustin the only one we are planning on signing this fall? or are their others?

3. Is Brad committed to Jucos this spring? and if so what happened to his statement last year that he did not want to recruit Jucos anymore since he has trouble qualifying them?

cheeseman asked :

"1. How many schollies do we have available to offer is we choose to do so?"

according to coach soderberg at the last billiken club meeting we have 3 in hand.

cheeseman asked :

"2. Is Dustin the only one we are planning on signing this fall? or are their others?"

according to coach soderberg at the last billiken club meeting (and he was emphatic when he stated this) we will definitely onl sign one player in the early signing period. since he cant comment specifically as to who that will be, however maguire is the only player that has verbally committed to slu and he continues to say so, you have to assume it is maguire.

cheeseman asked :

"3. Is Brad committed to Jucos this spring? and if so what happened to his statement last year that he did not want to recruit Jucos anymore since he has trouble qualifying them?"

brad stated at the billiken club meeting that his hope is to sign a project center that would likely be redshirted and a power forward that can step in and be the immediate starting power forward for 2006-07. when asked the follow up on that second part, he stated that to be able to immediately step in you would be looking at either an early transfer (someone to transfer in before xmas so they could be eligible by next xmas), a juco or a prep player. he said all are possible.

to conjecture on the academic woes we have discussed before, while we have had juco trouble academically, we still were able to get frericks and newborne to qualify. so it isnt impossible. just got to find the right guy.

Roy, I understand your points about finding the right Juco players to academically qualify but Brad seems to be flip flopping all the time on this issue. One time he goes after them, the next he says no more too hard to get in, then he says he is looking at them again. I don't care if he recruits Jucos or not but he keeps sending mixed messages and that worries me when he says other things. By the way, thanks for the other info.

Cheeseman ... he said at the Billiken club meeting that he would prefer not to recruit JUCO's, but he really thinks we need someone who can start at the 4 next year. He doesn't think we have the ability to get the level of HS 4's that could step in and start. A transfer is a biq question mark as there aren't that many and we don't know who they are. That leaves JUCO's as his best option. It would be great if we could also sign a HS 4 for the next year that could learn under any JUCO 4 we get for at least 1 year and maybe start his sophmore year.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

His position has never changed. His ideal is to bring in all high school players, but at times a shortage at a certain position demands an immediate impact player in order to be competitve. In that case he begrudgingly looks to the JUCO ranks. Brad has never stated or insinuated that he wouldn't go after a JUCO if the need arose. He has simply mentioned that his ideal would be to build up the program to the point where we have enough depth distibuted equally among all positions that recruiting a JUCO would become unnecesary.

likely just a matter of how few and far between they are i guess. i dont know, it has always concerned me that supposed lesser programs consistently have better inside players than we do.

We will see what the future brings - it just seems to me that he needs to make up his mind. Also, I was at the Tip Off mtg last year when his asst. said no more Jucos - prep or h.s. is what they were going after. As I said, I don't care if he recruits Jucos or not just get somebody who can actually play.

When you say 3 scholarships available for next year, have you already subtracted one for DM? If not, then I think we have 4 to give total. We only have 11 on sch. this year and lose 2 of them (AD & VN) leaving us with only 9 returning. That makes 4 available b/4 DM w/ 3 if he in fact signs.

Four scholarships are available today. One goes to the shooter, Dustin McGuire, then two bigs (one would possibly redshirt) and the last to a very good late find/tranfer, regardless of position, or it would be saved for the next recruiting period.

btw, Soderberg has never changed his preferred position on recruiting. He "wants" to build a program with four and five year players, using

jucos only occasionally.

He has made up his mind ... it has been the same since day 1. No Juco's. The problem is it doesn't always work out the way you want. If either JJ or VN was playing the 4 well ... or if we had found a good 4 in this class we wouldn't need to go Juco. He is considering Juco out of need ... not want.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman