Sean Kowal of DeSmet to Colorado

eskimo

6'10 Lamar Patterson plays for Vashon and what has kept him off varsity was his conditioning. He is finally in playing shape for Irons and at 6'10 is a good three point shooter and now runs the floor well after a summer of strong conditioning and being one of the only two juniors to be allowed to play with the Gameface 17's along with Donald Davis. He is the best kept secret in Saint Louis along with Alburey Doss, Jason Smith, and what was a secret in Brandenburg. He will probably start for Vashon, or be one of the top reserves along with Davis, Harris, and either Doss or Walker, whichever doesnt start.

VTime,

Congrats on going about two months before you started making stupid posts again.

Here's a beauty from another board, where problack/hoopsta suggests Missouri should take James Washington to have a chance at Leon Powell: http://forums.stltoday.com/viewtopic.php?t=308026

And then he comes on here to suggest SLU should offer several Division II (at best) caliber players, like Washington. Washington is an effective high school player, but he's not what Division I schools -- and probably most Division II schools -- are looking for. I heard Lindenwood is interested. That might be a good fit for him.

SLU should offer (if they haven't already) Cass and Tyler Griffey, and maybe Leon Powell and Jeremy Felton. I think the Billikens are crazy for not offering John Brandenberg yet, even though he's never played a high school game.

- Nate

ps:

p diddy, I never said Kowal was the player Shaw is. There's no comparison there. I said SLU would regret not offering Kowal. I don't have much faith that the coaching staff can convince a true power forward (either high school or JUCO) to sign with the Billikens in the spring, so I think they'd be better off taking a kid like Kowal instead.

While you dont think Washington is Div 1 caliber or even what most DII teams are looking for, he already has one Div1 offer from Rice thank you very much. I'm pretty sure if he can up that scoring avg another 4 or 5 points, he'll have a few more Div 1 offers and SLU could use a pg seeing as though Tommie Liddell is the only real pg on the roster. Plus getting Washington almost guarantees Powell. If not Powell.

Playing on the nations # ranked team makes him think he deserves better I would guess. I dont know. Plus it is still very early. He hasnt even played his senior season yet, and still has room to improve his status. Gain the respect of this board maybe.

>Nate, I get the feeling that your driving interest in Kowal

>is the fact that he is from Metro St. Louis.

>

>If Kowal was from Twin Falls, Idaho, and had drawn the same

>limited interest as mentioned above.....I question if you

>would still be beating his drum!

Of course not.

I've said many times that I think the key to getting the St. Louis University basketball program to be contender for the NCAA Tournament every year is to build up the program with St. Louis area kids.

The more kids the Billikens get from the St. Louis area, the more interest there will be in the program and the more other St. Louis area kids will want to play there instead of going two hours east or west of campus (or anywhere else, for that matter).

Brad Soderberg has done a great job the last two/three years with getting good local kids like Dwayne Polk, Tommie Liddell, Kevin Lisch, Luke Meyer and Dustin Maguire. Those types of players will only increase the local visibility of the Billikens and help SLU attract other local talent.

I'm not saying SLU should offer a scholarship to everyone in the STL area that can dribble or shoot -- like VTime does -- but if the Billikens are able to attract a couple of the top players from St. Louis in each class, they could really build something.

There are young some players coming up through the ranks now (like Tyler Griffey, Scott Suggs and John Brandenberg) who are going to be big-time Division I prospects. Those are the type of kids that the Billikens need to get to contend for the A-10 title every year and have a chance to win some tournament games.

- Nate

Nate, I agree that SLU needs to continue signing their fair share of the top D1 talent in metro St. Louis each year and I believe Coach Soderberg has been doing just that, see their current roster. However, I don't see Kowal at that elite level, and yet you wanted SLU to have offered him already.

It would be nice down the road if the area's elite players would be a balance of both perimeter players and post-players......who knows, many things will change!

>Nate-

> Do you know of any schools that have offered Chris Stokes

>of Career Academy? Is there a chance he could get an offer

>from SLU and play that level of D1 basketball? Thanks

Biggie,

I don't know of any schools that have offered Chris/Darrell Stokes because I haven't talked to CA coach Michael Brown in a while. Hopefully I'll find out soon.

I don't know if SLU is a good fit because the Billikens already have a small PG in Dwayne Polk. Of course, Polk would be a senior when Stokes would be a freshman (I think), so maybe they would recruit Stokes. Maybe even redshirt him that first year, so he'd be a second-year freshman after Polk is done.

Stokes will probably play Division I basketball somewhere. He's small, but he's a great passer and can shoot a little bit. He much more of a pure point guard than Polk is.

- Nate

>It would be nice down the road if the area's elite players

>would be a balance of both perimeter players and

>post-players......who knows, many things will change!

John Brandenberg (DeSmet sophomore) will be a center or power forward in college.

Scott Suggs (Washington sophomore) will be a point guard, shooting guard or small forward in college.

Tyler Griffey (Lafayette freshman) will be a center, power forward or small forward in college.

- Nate

considering that the billikens already have three capable point guards in lisch, polk and liddell that will all be here for awhile and the fact that coach soderberg has already declared that the two remaining scholarships not accepted for next year will go to inside players, you might as well quit your preaching on washington. he wont be a billikens. he should accept that rice offer and have a nice cusa career.

for the junior class, i am of course rooting for powell, but along with that, i am rooting for lucas o'rear and rob rudy.

I cant wait to see Powell in action this season. Its less than a month away. If Kowal can average 8 pts and 5 rebounds as junior and make it to Colorado, than who knows where Powell who averaged 13pts and 7 rebounds as a sophomore on a nationally ranked team can go. SLU OFFER HIM NOW! DONT WAIT TIL ITS TOO LATE.

SLU needs to wait as long as possible before offering Powell a scholarship. Nobody knows how he plays on the wing or how he handles the ball. I have watched him and I am not sold on him, but that is just me. The big question I would have is about his eligibility. Vashon doesn't have a good track record with kids being eligible out of high school.

He shot 40% from the wing last year and will only keep improving in that aspect. All Vashon players can handle the ball or they will never get on the court. All they do is drill, drill, and more drills everyday. And he will be eligible as 07 is his best class since 2002.

>He shot 40% from the wing last year and will only keep

>improving in that aspect. All Vashon players can handle the

>ball or they will never get on the court. All they do is

>drill, drill, and more drills everyday. And he will be

>eligible as 07 is his best class since 2002.

Where did you get that stat from. When I looked it up he shot 64% from the field and 40% (9 of 22) from the three point line. So I am just curious where you got those numbers from.

What does he will be eligible as 07 is his best class since 2002?

You are right ... because the only thing recruiters look as is numbers ... hell he almost doubled him in pts ... maybe he should go straight to the NBA ... and being from Vashon also. What more could a team want

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

>>He shot 40% from the wing last year and will only keep

>>improving in that aspect. All Vashon players can handle the

>>ball or they will never get on the court. All they do is

>>drill, drill, and more drills everyday. And he will be

>>eligible as 07 is his best class since 2002.

>

>

>Where did you get that stat from. When I looked it up he

>shot 64% from the field and 40% (9 of 22) from the three

>point line. So I am just curious where you got those numbers

>from.

>

>What does he will be eligible as 07 is his best class since

>2002?

You answered your own question with the 40% from 3 pt comment as you looked up the stat I gave you. Also Powell already has the numbers as a sophomore that Kowal is hoping to get as a senior. That was my point.

word on the street is that powell will be on campus this week sometime. I'm not sure when. slu has already offered suggs of washington and griffey of lafayette. brandenburg is also a top priority. i'm not sure if an offer has been made.

another wild card in this whole deal is alex tyus. everyone has already talked about him being at the billikens madness. now, i'm getting word that his father was on campus to attend practice last weekend checking things out. anyone else know of this.

bad boyz for life