Random SLU marketing....

Not sure what else to call it, but this morning as I got in my car the street cleaner passed by me and it was pained up in blue and white with the Billiken winking to all drivers on the front of the machine. I'd seen Rams, Blues and Cards advertised on these, well, now the Bills have joined. Pretty cool....

I was recently in a mall sports store and saw Cardinals, Rams, Blues, Mizzou, and Illini apparel but not one piece of SLU merchandise. There were even KC hats.

A few years ago I was in a store at Union Station and specifically heard tourists asking for SLU apparel. They had Mizzou, Illinois, Duke, Carolina, Georgetown, etc. but no SLU.

There's still a long way to go.

You can find a lot of SLU hats at Lids and t-shirts at Champs, but I know what you mean. However, supply and demand drives that. Right now there is little demand, however the bigger thing is the licensing and distribution. I don't know what SLU's is like but schools like Mizzou and Illinois license their images out to anyone and everyone, plus have Nike behind them. And, every state school has higher demand than private schools. SLU's winning will improve that. When i was at Marquette you couldn't get anything MU off campus, but now MU stuff is everywhere in Milwaukee. SLU wins, it will be the same thing.....

Reminds me of the movie I saw again this past weekend on TNT - What about Bob (classic!): Baby Steps.....

Walk into the flag shop at Union Station. There you will see flags for just about any college, except SLU. And I'm not just talking about UNC, Kentucky, Duke, but also Fairfield, Providence, Florida A&M, etc.

I would love to fly a SLU flag in front of my house.

A few months ago, due to the dearth of stylish t-shirts, sweat shirts, etc. in BILLIKEN blue (not navy, not light blue, and for pete's sake, not in red, orange, pink, etc.), I was considering designing and producing a small line of good-looking, traditional items that I could sell online. I have access to a designer and a vendor/producer, so that wouldn't be a big problem. I contacted the university about using the school's name/mascot, paying royalties, etc., and got information about becoming an officially-licensed vendor, which is very difficult for a small-time player like myself, so I didn't pursue it any further.

I don't know why we can't get Nike gear like Marquette has. At the b-ball game last year when they honored the honor roll student athletes at halftime, I saw so many kids who play on the various teams wearing stuff I'd like to own that's produced by Nike for the teams.

Marquette has been a "Nike school" since the mid-90's, but until the Final Four run there was no Nike gear available for purchase. The contract MU has with Nike (which most teams do) make them a "Nike Elite" school after making the Final Four, so merchandise is available on a wide-spread basis. Before that, all Nike did was provide gear to the players and coaches. SLU's deal with Nike is no different than the majority of programs that Nike has under contract now.