ABCD 2005 Rankings

Having seen DMcG play in both high school and in aau ball, as a D1 recruit, I would rate him as a superior shooter, a good passer, and an average rebounder, ball handler and defender. While he works at it, his defensive skills won't develop until he gets serious college coaching. Dustin at 6-4 or so has good strength, but will benefit from a serious weight lifting program. He has sixteen months before his first Billiken practice, so he has time to work on things. Biggest asset.... a 100 percent pure and willing shooter!

Luke takes it to the rim more than Dustin, and at this point in time, LM is the more physical player. But young Dustin is the better perimeter shooter. It will be interesting to see Dustin and Luke on the court at the same time!

i have not had the benefit to see dustin since last year for civic memorial. so whatever improvements he has made in making himself into a credible wing i am not aware of. i have never seen him try to guard wings. he has always been a post defender in every game i have seen, so my biggest question mark begins there. i have no idea what he can bring defensively.

as to his passing ability. i dont remember him ever passing for an assist. the one attribute you can strap on his persona, he isnt afraid to shoot. that said, he does shoot well. real well.

my initial thoughts if you have to paste comparisons, are to say maybe drew diener with a faster and more willing trigger. a slightly shorter steve novak form marquette. i do believe he is at least 6'5".

with all that, i am scared he actually has no position. if he cant guard the wings, and is only 6'5" and has shown he isnt physical enough to defend d-1 pf"s then what have we got? however, that is exactly what novak is. and he seems to do ok for marquette. i am sure brad has it all worked out in his head and it will be interesting to see it play out in about 15 months from now.

B-roy,

You stated exactly what i was thinking about. From everything that I have read he may be the ultimate "tweener" as far as college basketball is concerned. I cannot comment too much as i have not seen him play in person, but if he can guard a wing, then I like him all the more.

One thing about Brad - all his players have to defend. Dustin will defend or he will not play very much. I have no doubt that he can step up to the task if he works at it. His transfering h.s. is probably his own concern for the level of coaching and style he was not getting at Civic - at least in his/parents mind. If his new home can provide better competition and instruction then SLU wins.

at edwardsville he is not the lone big guy. i.e. he wont have to play center every second he is in the game. plus, edwardsville plays as good of a downstate schedule as can be found. civic plays in a much weaker conference.