Two things to check out in today's P-D

I don't think they are posted online, and because I don't want to get in trouble (any more) for my posting here, I'll encourage everyone to check out the stories I wrote about the Demetrious Johnson All-Star Game and the Nike Hoop Jamboree at SLU.

The stories are packaged together on Page 18.

The DJ All-Star Game preview has some interesting quotes from Demetrious Johnson about Tommie Liddell and what he thinks Tommie's impact at SLU will be.

The Nike Hoop Jamboree mentions the four young area kids who were competing in the camp -- Leon Powell, Torres Roundtree, Rolandis Woodland and A.J. Hawkins -- who most Billiken fans will hear a lot about in the next few years. Except Hawkins, who is moving to Georgia for his sophomore year.

- Nate

The most interesting name on either roster may be Liddell, who graduated from East St. Louis in 2004 but attended Hargrove, a prep school in Virginia, last season. Liddell was a Post-Dispatch first-team All-Metro selection in 2004, and many believe he may be St. Louis U.'s top recruit since CBC's Larry Hughes, a McDonald's All-American now starring in the NBA.

"Getting a Tommie Liddell back in is an unbelievable treat," Johnson said. "This is an opportunity for people to see how this kid has matured and polished his game."

Johnson predicted Liddell will make a Hughes-type impact at SLU. "He's going to be an instant star at St. Louis University," Johnson said.

Tickets are $10 and can be purchased at the Fontbonne University athletic department or by calling (314) 889-1444.

I always enjoy your articles in the P-D...I also read your article on the Metro H.S. baseball team selections...If you would have seen him play, I think you would have agreed that Rusty Parke of Freeburg was one of the top 5 players in the Metro this year...He was a clutch hitter, hitting well over 500, was their top pitcher, and could play many poitions...Freeburg missed going to state by losing a freak game in which line drives were always going directly at a defensive player and the rest were pop ups...They lost to Auburn an inferior team.

Thanks.

I wish I would have gotten a chance to see Parke play. He had great stats (pitching and hitting) and I heard a lot of good things about him. If he's as good as everybody says he should have a good career at Southwestern Illinois College and then move on to a D-1 school or get drafted.

- Nate

Speaking of Southwestern Illinois, if you look at SLU's recruits from the class of 2003, you start to wonder why SLU didnt sign recent SWIC grad Brett Ledbetter out of high in 2003 or this past spring. He moved on to D1 though in spite of the disrespect locally.

al, my son played legion with rusty last year so i got to watch him up close all summer. he is a unique player that has a heart of a lion. it is a shame he isnt a few inches taller and with a few lbs of extra muscle. he would be a cant miss. even still, i think he has a chance and it will be interesting to watch him progress at swic next year.

he is skinny imo and very inconsistent with the ball. i agree with tsuegnekillib. i would have thought he would have been a nice d-III or naia player.

coach soderberg will only play 5 guards a game. the reason clarke is gone is that he didnt want to be the 7th guard. there is no way that coach soderberg was going to bring in 3 new guards. so as i said, which one of liddell and lisch would go? coach said he wasnt going to bring in more than 2 guards. so if ledbetter was to come, either lisch or liddell wasnt. so tell is which one you leave off so ledbetter comes?

>>>because I don't want to get in trouble (any more) for my posting here<<

>

>Care to elaborate Nate? For posting info here quicker that

>it appears in the PD?

Something like that. But it shouldn't be a problem because I won't do it again.

I think one thing newspapers need to do a better job of is serving the reader with additional information when they get the chance. I try to use message boards (mostly the STL Today Prep Board) to get out more info out to people that otherwise wouldn't get in the paper.

For an example, after the Poplar Bluff-Vashon championship game I made a long post on the prep sports board about the atmosphere of the game, how electric it felt inside the arena and how-why the game got away from Vashon ... or, as another example, since I had limited space to write about the Nike Hoop Jamboree I tried to give you guys some more info on here.

I think this is one of the ways newspapers can use the Internet to serve the readers better. There is limited space in the paper, so it's important to use the web to get out more info whenever possible. This is kind of along the same lines as the blogs that are popping up more and more on newspaper web sites. I think that's a great idea to bring together the newspaper with the capabilities of the web.

- Nate

the post recognize your skills and let you write more often instead of wasting space on the likes of hockey strike news or the latest on hunting and fishing or auto racing. that would seem to solve the problem as well. to hear they are upset you are spreading news that they didnt publish is hillarious. if they feel it is important, they should make the space for it, if not, so be it if you give it out elsewhere. they didnt care enough to want it before.