McCluer North vs Vashon

I was expecting Vashon to destroy my alma mater on Saturday night. Surprisingly North stayed in the game for the most part.

This was the fourth time I had watched Vashon this year and this had to be their worst played game. I was unimpressed by both the Hill brothers and Powell. Despite their size advantage they really had little edge inside on North. Powell scored in double figures but really had nothing but put backs. For all their athletic abilities Vashon got stuffed on a regular basis by North. Marc Washington on North is one of the best ;leapers I have seen. He blocked Bobby Hill on a dunk from behind with his handwell above the rim. Majzun also had a couple of great displays of ability including a reverse dunk nearly completed with Powell holding onto his arm. Two plays later he did manage to dunk on Powell. North's game plan was failry poor, a better coach than Reed could have pulled off the upset. The turning in the game was probably a terrible over and back call on North that ended their 8-0 run in the fourth. Without that the game could have been much closer as Washington fouled out on the next play. Having watched Poplar Bluff I am going to have to give them the edge over Vashon in the state title game. North was visibly caught up in being on the same court as the No 1 team in the nation in the first few minutes which really sealed the victory for Vashon. Poplar Bluff will probably not be intimidated by that.

Why were you surprised? The only thing that is extraordinary about this Vashon team is their defense. Johnny Hill and Kenny Daniels are thei4 only outside shooters. And Leon Powell, at 6'6 180 lb, is their primary inside threat. This may be Floyd's best coaching job. He's manufacturing baskets in the full court like Whitey Herzog used to manufacture runs without the long ball.

If and when Vashon plays Poplar Bluff, if Bluff can get the ball inside to Hansbrough, there really isn't anything the V will be able to do to stop him.

unlike Triangle and Too when his predictions don't come to fruition. See his Wildcats versus Romar's Huskies.

Floyd Irons is the reason why this team has won 59 straight and not just their athleticism. Regardless of what anyone says, Vashon doesn't have all of this great talent. While I'll defer to Billiken Roy when he says their quality depth is unmatched, it still takes a remarkable coach to get EVERYONE to play within the team concept and dominate over the years. There is NO coach in this area or ANYWHERE, who could duplicate what Irons has done.

will find a way to minimize the impact of ANY one player. Now I doubt that Poplar Bluff will win, but if they do, it'll be because someone else such as Tyler's brother has a huge game.

Like Spoonhour used to do, I'm sure Vashon will place the upmost pressure on Bluff's perimeter players and I just don't see them giving Tyler any great looks. Tyler might score his points, but he'll earn them and I doubt he'll shoot over 50%.

No doubt Irons is an incredible coach. His team certainly does not have the talent of the other so called No 1s in the country. I really don't see an impact D-1 player on his roster, at least not one who is an upperclassmen. I doubt any of the other powerhouse hs teams in the country can say that.

Still I think Poplar Bluff can match the Vs depth and with Tyler in the middle has a superstar who can take over a game which Vashon lacks.

i watched popular bluff vs webster yesterday on charter and imo, me, skip, slu72 and billikan could play with tyler hansborough and win the state title. hansborough is that impressive. with exceptions noted for injuries or foul trouble, tyler high will win the state championship.

I also attended the game and was impressed with

Marc Washington. He plays bigger than his 6' 4".

McCluer had a chance but that over and back call was

a killer. At that time I thought McCluer had V a little

panicky.

Also saw the PB v WG game. The key to a PB - V game

will be PB guard play. If PB guards can keep TO down

against V zone press then we will have a great MO

state champioship game.

is there is a HUGE foul differential between the teams. I just can't see another scenario where Vashon loses. Poplar Bluff will have to take at least 20 more FTs to win.

and they probably will foul tyler hansborough about 4,000 times in an effort to stop him. he is the best player in the area by far far far far. if the popular bluff guards maintain their poise, i think bluff will blow them out.

Roy ... you know once I start going to the hole it's a bucket or I'm at the line ... we wouldn't need Tyler ... I could probably drop 30 on em ... give me a few months to drop another 20 lbs ... and you could bank 40. ;)

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

We might see Irons take his squad out of Mizzou Arena in that case. Vashon is too fundamentally sound defensively to foul Tyler that much. For one, I KNOW PB's guards will have trouble getting into the flow of their offense against Vashon. Unless Tyler is bringing the ball up, I don't see him going crazy against the V.

fuhermeyer didnt have a 6'10" all american to just throw it up in the air to when in trouble though either. i am telling you all, hansborough is BIG TIME. i say a mix between laettner and stipo. maybe better than both.