Team Chemistry and execution

Billikan

Thsi was a very interesting game that really makes me realize how close this team was to a winning season.

The difference between this game and so many others that we executed down the stretch and did not continuously turn it over and we hit some free throws. If we had done just that in 7-8 games earlier we would have won them all.

It is very gratifying to see the energy and the comraderie of the young guys, including Drejaj. They all played hard and supported each other, even when they made mistakes. We heard earlier that the morale was terrible, etc, etc. In fact, tonight this team was intense and you could see they really were together.

I said 10 games ago that Reggie had to go to the bench and people attacked me. Tonight's game is Exhibit A. We were not standing around waiting for Reggie to hit a shot. We turned it over a lot but most were because we were too aggressive and those mistakes are correctable.

This team is dramatically better now that Meyer is in the lineup. As I said earlier, I see a lot of sloan in Luke in that they each make the team better when they play even if they do not have big stats.

I am seldom amazed but I was shocked by the great game by Clarke. That offensive rebound basket on the break seemed to free him up to play free and confidently. Sure he made some mistakes but our whole team is young and makes mistakes. One of the best things I saw from Clarke tonight is when he turned it over and they went in for a lay up he got the ball and pounded it on the basket support in anger. he really hated making that mistake. He also made some very nice passes.

Ian still is developing and he missed some short shots but he is really a presence on the low post on both ends and he again fouled out the opposing center. Also, his tip pass in the open court to Meyer for a lay up was highlight film stuff.

As frustrated as I was two weeks ago, I am now really heartened about this revival. We beat a team that just gave Memphis all it could handle and Memphis smashed Louisville tonight. A conference win on the road is a real pleasurable experience!

while overall i didnt think anymore about vouyoukas tonite than any other night, still too many times he couldnt go up strong, and missed inside opportunities and missed free throws, but that pass was indeed awesome. it is times like that anyone can see the potential the young man has. that alone makes it all exciting knowing that ian is so close to being a force.

the clarke game is extremely puzzling and ironic considering we spent time today hashing darren clarke to pieces and wishing for the slower ahearn. tonite, clarke showed fantastic touch shooting the ball, great hustle, he had a couple of amazing passes and played good enough defense. how can he NOT play now?

strangely, danny brown now disappears as clarke and meyer are emerging. i dont understand it. but saturday my math says someone is sitting as soderberg said both on tv and radio he will only use 5 guards per game. thus the reason clarke hasnt played. well now he has to. at least for the next game. and reggie will surely be back by saturday. plus, we need reggie to compete with charlotte.

i have to agree with billikan that even though our record is not good, there sure seems to be a lot of sunshine breaking through. and for those questioning where meyer and clarke were all season, i can believe that they have improved their understanding of games, increased their confidence and skills and thus have justified their opportunities now over where they were earlier in the season.

For the future and I mean next year...it all depends on player(s) developing skills on the offensive end. We NEED player(s) who can and will score FG's. Time will tell if some of the returning players work their tails off and improve over the off season. I think that we do have some good kids, so I sincerely hope that happens.

I didn't see the game ... but sometimes the box score doesn't show all the value of a player to the team. I have noticed VN hustling more and of late he seems to be more into the flow of the game. I haven't watched him intently but I would say there must be something UB sees out there that keeps him in the game.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

because he was shutting out one of the best players in the conference in terrance leathers. the job he did bottling up leathers probably was the biggest reason we won the game.