Anyone Up For Bracketology Yet...

Schasz

i will be shocked that the a-10 gets 2 teams. unless gw gets hot and wins out, i dont see any team in the a-10 in position to claim an at large bid.

btw, the mvc will get at least 2 bids. wsu and siu are solid top 25 teams according to the rpi. so assuming the normal tourney upset, that would give them 3 teams this year.

As usual, I follow this stuff. It is still too early to say anything other than your team needs to keep winning games.

There is a general point that I have been making that individual teams get in and not "conference slots". The MVC (with admittedly fewer teams) has had a good year and there were people on this list that were talking about 5 bids. They will get 2 or 3. C-USA is not having a good year (and is RPI-wise just a hair below the MVC) but will get 5-6 bids. The A-10 will get 1 or 2 (Joe Lunardi is a huge St. Joe's fan is being biased to suggest that right now GW--sorry Steve--deserves an at large bid right now).

The point is that this year the C-USA is not beating up on each other much and has enough profile to sneak a few bubble teams in. The MVC has two solid teams but a whole bunch of teams are just outside the bubble.

Also, it is impossible to make a logically consistent argument that Notre Dame is an 8 seed and BC is a 2 seed--the "subjective" factors seem to rule when Notre Dame is attached to the discussion. This year may be a bad year for bracketologists due to the uncertainty surrounding the formal inclusion of home and road into the RPI.

Another rant point, Vermont is at 16 (!!!!!) in the RPI currently and yet ESPN talking heads say things like they need to beat Nevada to guarantee an at-large (no, Nevada needs it a lot more). While the committees are not perfect, they would never be that idiotic.

Marquette has to win a bunch of games still to get in. It will be hard for them to make it. They did have a good non-conference record (which does count for something) and will get a slight profile boost from losses without Diener. That said, one of the teams picked as in (UAB, DePaul, Marquette) will shake out pretty quick as there are just not enough victories to go around for them all to make it (especially if Houston, TCU, Memphis, SLU!!!, etc. steal some victories from the rest of the conference). I think the scenario with 4 teams making it from C-USA is more likely than any scenario getting 6 in.

remember, diener hasnt played for 2-3 weeks. they are a totally different team when he is on the floor. i.e. they could easily rattle off some wins and get back in the thick of things.

MU has little margin for error. To date, Crean's guys have avoided the 'bad loss' which works in their favor. MU has two road games this week (TCU and ECU) -- lose on of those and they have to win out the season, IMHO. Not sure they can do that, but the Warriors do close with 4 of their last 5 at home this season.

http://marquettebasketball.blogspot.com