Should Brad Be Retained If We Have A Losing Record Next Year?

Seems to me he had a Blake Ahern and passed on him for DC. Now that being said, I have spoken to other coaches who agreed with Brad passing on Ahern - the problem is not that he passed on Ahern it is that his replacement has been such a dud. If DC would even be playing 10-15 min. a game and scoring 5-6 pts, nobody would be bringing up Ahern. Roy, I agree with what you said in your post above.

I've been a different type of poster this year as opposed to last year. Last year, I would show a lot more tough love and often let my emotions speak for me which tended for me to come across pretty abrasive. I certainly have toned it down from the days when I used to post on Nark's board. I have seen a lot of changes from posters from one year to the next and I've conclusively realized we are all just frustrated. I know I am. But, I don't think I am for just the poor season we are having. There seems to be a common theme with SLU Basketball and that is that there's always something.

Almost every year we are looking at reasons why we didn't get to where we needed to be. It's either because of an injury or because of turnover of coaches and having to deal with "their" recruits or because of this or that, etc. At what point is someone going to be accountable? We keep saying the program is heading in the right direction. But, from what? 15 years ago, 20 years ago? Are we better than the Spoon days, are we better than the Romar days? IF we are, what are we basing that off of. I've read many times that so and so screwed us with their lack of recruiting or poor recruiting, etc. Bottom line, the goal is to win. Find a way and win! We are not the only team that struggles with injuries, we are not the only team that has had turnover amongst the coaching staff, we are not the only team that's had leftover bad recruits and bad recruiting classes. The secret is to overcome that stuff, to find ways to win. I DO NOT think Brad should be fired and I DO think Brad can take this program to the next level, but I really think he dropped the ball this year. Everybody talks about last year and how Fisher and Sloan did this and that. I loved Fish and Sloan and wish we had them back. But, I remember very few games where either of them "tookover" a game and in fact, I think Sloan tailed off the second half of the year. Yes, there were games that they were huge, but all in all I think we played better team ball last year. Brad was even recognized for getting the most from his players and I even remember the media praising him for that. I know Fish was so solid on defense and a great leader, but Fish did not single handedly win every game for us. Argue with me if you want, but we will have single digit wins this year! That is horrible, no matter what the case.

We hear about there being poor team chemistry and all these other things, but bottom line is there has to be some accountability. People say RB is lazy this year and has not done his part. Well, Brad has shown if players are lazy that they will ride the pine. RB still gets his minutes. We have a deeper bench than we have had in past years, IO is finally playing better, RB while dealing with injuries, is still here and yet we are going to more than likely end up with single digit wins.

I know a lot of what is posted or what we hear is speculation, but if there is a problem with team chemistry then it needs to be fixed. If players aren't playing hard and are being lazy than it needs to be fixed. I know a Coach can't go out and take the shots, but he can lead, he can inspire, he can help with confidence, he can adjust the style of play, he can "get the most from his players", he can do a lot to affect the wins in a season. That's why the Coach is brought in paid the big money.

I know most of this is just my frustration and before you argue with me and attack me realize what our record is and more than likely where we will end up for the year. I don't care what the circumstances, it is unacceptable!

I would hope Brad would feel the same about this season to this point and if he is "truly at a loss" at what to do than he needs to figure it out! One of the reasons I've liked Brad from day one is that when he first got this job, he was interviewed and asked what his goals were. He said his goal was a National Championship. He said he knew people would snicker at that, but that you had to shoot that high and instill that kind of attitude within your program. And while he said it might not be realistic to expect that the first couple years, you can change the culture of a program by making the Tournament most years. Well, based on that and the number of wins we have, I hope he sees we have regressed.

I can appreciate that many of us drink the team Kool-Aid no matter what the circumstance, but at some point there has to be accountability. You have to be resilient understanding that it's rare that you'll be injury free and it's rare that everything is going to go your way. I hope Cheryl takes a hard look at this season, looks at all the things the Athltic Department is doing to support this team and draw the fans, and makes the necessary changes -because once again, it's always something.

YES, until (and even after) you have a name like Kentucky, or Kansas, or Illinois. It'll always be a challenge to win.

Did you want to fire Dick Vermeil after his first couple years here???? The bigger question is who will come out of nowhere to be our Kurt Warner??? Danny Brown???? Vermeil sure looked a hell of a lot smarter in 99 than he did in 97. Call it Kool Aid drinking if you like but I'll be patient another couple yerars.

On the message boards Dick V used to be known as Dixie in his first two years with the St. Louis Rams, and then the Rams had that marvelous Super Bowl run and all was forgotten. It's amazing how quickly the fickle sports fan can be when it comes to praising or dissing coaches.

I am still a Coach Soderberg fan, but I understand that this has not been a stellar year for him either. He is not beyond receiving some of the blame for this season. Hopefully, we can look back in a couple years and see this simply as a speed bump in what will become a solid career as Billiken HC.

There is a good deal to blame him for. I'm just not ready to call for his head. The last two years, succeeding with mediocre talent, have bought Brad some time in my book. Believe me, If the playeras were walking off or he was boffing a cheerleader, I'd be for showing him the door.

Tonka, I think the key item in the plummet is replacing a senior small forward and a senior point guard with a freshman small forward and a freshman point guard.

Most all of us thought the loss of experience would be compensated for by the additional year of maturity by our (possible) all conference center and shooting guard, and the addition of an athletic PF.

The only player to step up this year far above last year has been IO, who really hammered himself into becoming a very serviceable PF. He has become an outstanding support player who couldn't quite carry a team, but has shown how dedication is key to improvement. Reggie and Tom have shown dedication in trying to fight through their injuries.

It isn't always something - as we have made the Big Dance - but for every team in the country besides the champ, everyone talks about the could-have-beens and shoulda-gones. I just hope this year I see Illinois not have any could-have-beens.