Need Questions Answered

aj_arete

as some yahoos sitting near me were yelling to get the "Greek kid out" I looked up and of the 11 points we had, he had 7 of them, or something like that. Now, his drives to the hole were a little scary but considering how little other offense we had they were almost nice to see.

If somebody put a gun to my head and said who will transfer he'd be the first name I guess, simply because he has options to play for pay in Europe. That alone is enough for many European guys that play a lot in college but for a guy that is stuck on Brad's bench it would seem even more appealing.

Basically with pressing the ball. I hate the fact that there is so much space between our defenders and the opposing team...push up on the ball..If we're gonna try and honor DP's quickness, and try to win, we have to be very decisive in our defense, it has to change from what we're used to playing(our weaknesses on defense is exposed because we're refusing to change our defensive play)...that will cause fast breaks, Polk will be essentially playing to his best attribute (quickness) and we can steal some layups from some of our other players..(we don't permanently need to change it up, since Coach's defense is what kept us here...but we should at least be able to change up the defense and play just as good)

Also I think the Big guys need to do nothing but learn how to set pics properly and going strong to the basket...I said before the games I saw most of the big guys ended up on the wing and Reg, Polk or Izik were left to set pics...the bigs aren't shooting so they shouldn't be caught on the wing...they need to be more agressive...on both ends (offense and defense) It's done in practices..but in a game it isn't..

I think Reg can pass the ball as well, so he should maybe bring the ball up sometimes...(Polk, Meyer, Drejaj, Izik whomever)give them the opportunity to shoot..He definitely shouldn't be taking the ball out, which he has in many games this year...

Also exude and demand that his players play with CONFIDENCE...ENERGY...and a WILLINGNESS TO WIN...their attitudes play a significant role in these losses and if u feel like losers and think like losers, u'll continue to lose, if u feel like winners and think like winners u'll win. It's time to get some Positive energy going on in practices, the locker rooms, plane rides, bus rides, in everything...Believe me, I haven't taken the blame off the seniors or veterens either...I've given Reg the same speech...Be an example to the new guys, talk to them, open up..it seems like everyone's on their own page and aren't communicating to each other...off the court.

For one, Sloan was an underrated athlete. He had very good hops and was a more fluid player than Meyer. The only problem with Sloan was that he just could never find his shot on the perimeter. He could play at game speed at this level.

Admittedly, I haven't seen Luke too much, but he looks like he's overwhelmed with the speed at this level. I noticed it in the high school all-star games this summer, too. I really think Luke needs another offseason to hone his game and adjust to the speed at this level.

I'm still surprised that JJ hardly got any minutes. What's the deal with him?

Brehms said

"I definitely don't agree that u focus on the new guys and

leave your seniors and veterens hanging what r u saying to

them".

Jalensdad2002

If the seniors are producing results, then of course you stay with them. This is not the current situation at SLU. Outside of Bryant no one is holding their weight. What separates the elite programs is the fact that McDonald All-Americans at those programs know that every year their starting spots may be up for grabs.

Brehms said

especially if they've given u good play and good

>years, u just drop them because they're having a bad

>season..what if Liddell comes in and does just like Reg..has

>a good year then the next year he doesn't would u advise the

>coach to move past him to the younger or newer players?

Jalensdad 2002

Who on this team outside of Bryant has given the program good play. Drejaj has has his moments, but people who used to post on the old bullseye board know I had questioned Drejaj's abilities as a starter. SLU has been going to war against Div 1 opponents with role players. As far as Liddell coming in and having a year anywhere near the year Bryant had as a freshman, then of course you stay with him as a sophmore. If Tommie or any of the other freshmen come in a play inconsistent for the next 3 years, then you have to as a good coach look elsewhere. As I said the elite programs and players enter every season with something to prove. If you have an upperclassmen who is not far and away better than the younger player, I choose for the option of getting prepared for the future, especially with the results of this team.

The only thing I'll add to your statements is that Sloan often looked lost during his freshman season and struggled mightily scoring. At one point I think he was passing up wide open looks and it became mental. He grew out of it quite well. He was a much better athlete then people game him credit for.

billikan said, "I do not think we were playing a zone. We are supposed to be playing hard nosed man to man with help."

when i think of a style description "hard nosed man-to-man", i am thinking more in the way spoon and romar played it whereby you are up on your man and denying the pass. trying to contain the guards away from the 3 point line. the positive is that if everyone does their job and indeed is conscious about help and weakside movement, you at least force the offense to start later and further out. the negative is it is vulnerable to back cuts and good one on one players.

brad's pack man-to-man really resembles a match up zone. it protects the middle and will help with rebounding since everyone will be somewhat near the rim. but i would never describe soderberg defense as hard nosed man to man.

johnson had a few mental sleeps in the first half imo. he played ok at the end though. he also missed a bunch of free throws, but so did everyone else.