My take

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Billikan, Why do I get the feeling u're talking about Reg, but won't come out and say it. What responsibility are u willing to take? Walk a mile in the players shoes then let me know whats up.

Society is made up with people from diverse racial groups, diverse sexual groups, diverse cultures, diverse backgrounds, morals, values, upbringing, finances etc...Society as a whole shows me that its okay to have different opinions; It's okay to think differently.

We (my brothers and I)were raised to take responsibility for our actions and to be independant thinkers, to not let others disrespect you, to stand up for yourself, to prepare for our future through education and hard work, and to excel at whatever we choose to do in life. If Reg does nothing else this year, from this moment on, he would have far exceeded what others in society have expected from him. Coming from an Urban City, surrounded by much negative influence, he could have ended up somewhere else in life.

I can certainly live with him missing easy shots and I don't toss and turn at night, wondering will he survive this doggy dog world of Basketball. He has survived much worse. That's what I feel about society, its easy to say what someone else should do, especially when u're on the outside looking in. But if it were u, and u missed easy shots, how would u deal with it? What would u tell your fans? What would u say to the coaches, the press (media), your teammates? What would u do to make it better? What would change so that the next game u wouldn't miss easy shots? Let me know, I'll tell Reg and he can let the rest of the team know, so they can improve offensively and win games.

tseugnekillib, I said it. I'm not being silly, If u would Re-read the post, I said this summer, defense was mainly practiced, offense wasn't a priority. The focus was defense and because they were offensive minded players, offense wasn't practiced much. Coach even said it. The line up that's in the games barely practiced together, so I would expect offense to be a problem, being as though the guys are new to playing together (this line up) and they're all struggling to get their shots right now. I'm quite sure that after the Austin Peay game, offense became the focal point, I know they're practing it now. I refered to this summer, thus I'm not surprised their struggling.

I was talking more about Tom but the whole group of players that are missing shots has to step up and stop making excuses and get the job done. Under normal circumstances we would expect the seniors to lead us out of the darkness.

I compliment you and Reg for making the best of a very difficult situation. You can be very proud. Yet, I still wish you would stop telling us about reggie's criticism of the coaches, etc. I think it is very destructive. Sorry, I broke my rule but you directed the post to me.

I made that one statement about Reg and my conversation and what he said, u're right I should've kept that to myself (especially had I known it would cause that whole backlash stuff-still feel coaches aren't untouchable though). Every comment since then has been from me. I make sure not to paraphrase anymore.

I figured u weren't just talking about Reg, but the whole team (I could only comment on Reg) But u do make it sound really easy for the guys just to step up and do the darn thing. What I'm saying is it's not gonna be easy and even though u feel the injuries etc are excuses,

I have to believe it's legitimate, simply because I know Tom, Reg, Anthony, Darren, Ian, and any others that are playing hurt wouldn't just give up and lose. I feel they are fighters and want to win. But they have to make adjustments.

It's okay about your rule, Slufanskip, said I should stop addressing the whole board, when I'm talking to a specific person. So I took that into consideration and directed my response to u. It's all good.

Since coaches can't conduct summer practices I can't see how any coaching could be done on either side of the court. The summer pickup games that I have seen on campus, and the early Fall pickup games as well, start out fairly organized for the first 10-15 minutes or so, and then the players fall into more of a playground ball setting. This same scenario happens every year, regardless of the players involved!

imo, the offensive problem thus far is lack of shotmaking. In the APU game that you mentioned, the Bills got 61 shots. The 61 shots was more shots than in any game played in the entire 2003-2004 season. The APU problem was that SLU only made 16 of 61 shots (26%), including only 3-16 (19%) from the 3pt line.

Making some shots will cure alot of ills, both on the court and in the stands. imo, SLU will shoot better, the question is how much better and how consistent will the improve shooting be!

because I had the nerve to criticize Brad from time to time. Seems to me you are trying to blame the players and never want to blame Brad for things he could have done better.

Cleary, us being 1-3 against teams that we should surely be 4-0 against there is plenty of blame to go around. They players should be shooting better, no doubt. Coach should have focused more on offense during early practices (he said as much in Saturday's article). And clearly we have had a bit of bad luck. Hell, maybe Brad should have recruited better players to make the easy shots.

I'm actually starting to believe that the basketball Gods are just getting even with us for the amazing record we have had during the last two seasons in close games and significant deficits with less than a minnute to go. All those close games fooled us into thinking we could be close at the end and almost always win the game. Truth is in the long run our record will be close to .500 in those games and at this point things are just evening out.

I agree that we should have beaten the three teams that we have losses posted; however, if we had won our first two games in St. Thomas then we would have played Arkansas and a victory over the Hogs was unlikely at best. IMO if we had hit a few more buckets then we would be 3-1 at this point.

sheltiedave said about reggie, "I always want the ball in his hands with four seconds left for a jump shot."

i agree there is still no one on the team i would rather have take that shot than reggie bryant.

personally, i believe that once we get at least the old reggie and tom back (and it will happen) this team will win and still win big. there is no denying that izik has improved (i believe he can get even better, but he is more than he was last year) and polk is a dynamo that is just experience away from being a top table setter.

the rest of the team is as talented of a supporting cast as the billikens have had in a long time.

I agree that over the last couple of years we seem to have won more than our share of the close games--many where the other team shot an open 3 pointer at the end for the win and they missed.

I also agree that things tend to even out and when a "team" loses it is a team loss and that includes the coaches.

Let's hope that we can get back on track or at least the other teams start missing the last minute 3 point shots!